The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2016, 07:26 PM   #1
MandolinMan

Rem Wingmaster Questions

Hello all,

While browsing a local gunstore today I found a older Remington Wingmaster that caught my attention. It was in nice shape overall and priced at $299. Only negative I saw was that it had a rail mounted on top...

So a quick question:

Are the barrels interchangeable between the various models of 870's? Will the barrel from my new 870 express fit? This particular wingmaster is chambered in 2 3/4 only, and is not threaded for chokes.

Thanks!
Old September 22, 2016, 11:45 AM   #2
DavidAGO

If someone does not have the answer at hand, when I get home I will see if the barrel from my Express will fit on my older Wingmaster. It would look a bit strange to have the pretty blued receiver with the bead blasted barrel, but it would be nice if it worked. But if you can, I would just go ahead and get the Wingmaster. They are very nice shotguns, very smooth actions.

David

Edit: you didn't ask, but I no longer see a use for any shotgun shell longer than 2 3/4. I have used 3 and even 3 1/2" duck hunting, I seem to do just as well with 2 3/4 steel shot as I do with 3 or longer. And for skeet I see no reason to hammer my shoulder anymore than needed.
Old September 22, 2016, 12:11 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...Are the barrels interchangeable..." Absolutely. An 870 is an 870. Wingmasters were not always the higher end kit they are now, but an 870 barrel is an 870 barrel.
An 'Express' is about the finish and the stock material. Same gun otherwise.
2.75" chambers will be fine. No shooting 3" + out of a receiver that isn't a 3" mag receiver though. You can buy a RemChoked barrel or pay to have the current barrel threaded. Remington barrels that are not packaged in the blister pack cost less that those that are by roughly $100 depending on where you are. And there are non-Remington brand barrels that are just fine.
Wouldn't exactly say a rail is a negative. Wouldn't be a selling point for me either, but it means you can easily mount a scope for use with a rifled or rifle sighted barrel. The latter is a heavy SOB. Thick walls on 'em. Lots of steel for threads if you want 'em.
$299 is a friggin' great price for a used 870. Depending on condition, of course.
Old September 22, 2016, 12:18 PM   #4
ammo.crafter

The Remy Wingmaster is a great shotgun and a bargain at that price.

As others have said, you can always get other barrels, choke systems, etc.

Make certain the action bars function as designed as does the firing system, feeding, ejection...the usual stuff.

If the LGS will allow, shoot a box of target loads and see how the 870 functions AND fits you.
Old September 22, 2016, 02:13 PM   #5
DavidAGO

It has been answered, but yes, my express barrel fits perfectly on the Wingmaster and vice versa. The blued wingmaster barrel looks OK on the express, the express barrel looks just wrong on the blued wingmaster. I have found used barrels at various gun shops over the years at prices that have made having a barrel threaded just not worth it. I guess there have been so many 870s made over the years that a lot of barrels become surplus.

And again, I would pick up that 870 at $299. Just wish I could find a 16 ga 870 at anywhere near that price. My holy grail in an 870 is a 16 ga with the straight English pattern stock. Have only seen one and it was not for sale.

David

Last edited by DavidAGO; September 22, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old September 22, 2016, 09:02 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

One caution:
There is a difference between Wingmaster/Police barrels and Express barrels and guns based on the Express like many Tactical models.

The Wingmaster and Police models have a spring detent in the front face of the barrel support ring that engages notches on the magazine cap to prevent the cap from vibrating loose.

The Express and some Tactical guns use the Express type mag cap retention feature of a "toothed" plastic plug in the magazine that engages "teeth" inside the magazine cap to prevent it from unscrewing.
These guns also have the pressed-in notches or "dimples" inside the magazine tube that prevent the plastic plug from turning.

You can use a Wingmaster/Police barrel on an Express type gun with no problems, but it's best to get an Old Style 870 magazine cap with the notches.

If you install an Express barrel on a Wingmaster gun there's nothing to prevent the magazine cap from coming unscrewed.
A common fix for this is to buy a Remington wave washer from Brownell's and put it under the Express magazine cap to prevent it from vibrating loose.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...prod23974.aspx

So, when buying a barrel make sure you know what gun version you have, and check the front of the new barrel's support ring to see if it has the plunger.
No plunger means it's an Express type barrel.
Old September 23, 2016, 04:23 PM   #7
Virginian

An O ring will hold the cap just fine. Note, you probably will not be able to utilize that 3" chamber unless you change ejectors.
Old September 23, 2016, 05:39 PM   #8
jmr40

I don't know if the rebate is still in effect, but after the $50 rebate you can buy a new 870 Express with the barrel threaded for tubes for a lot less. I paid $289 recently and will get my rebate check in the mail soon.
Old September 24, 2016, 06:34 PM   #9
MandolinMan

Hey thanks for the info guys. Just what I needed.
Old September 27, 2016, 02:01 PM   #10
Model12Win

The old Wingmaster compared to today's Wingmasters are like comparing a Lamborghini to a Ford Pinto.

Today's Wingmaster are a JOKE by comparison, the old Wingmaster are some of the finest shotguns EVER. MADE.

EVER.
Old September 27, 2016, 02:04 PM   #11
FITASC

High praise from a Win model 12 fan..................
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 27, 2016, 02:19 PM   #12
Virginian

Also a load of crap. The new Wingmasters are right up there with any they have ever made in terms of fit and finish. I just looked at two yesterday. I don't like the new style mag cap retention system as well, but that's an easy swap back if you feel the same. The American Classic may be the best non custom shop pump they ever made.
Old October 1, 2016, 12:34 PM   #13
vba

I just replaced my old Wingmaster (2 3/4" chamber) with this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...ead-sight-blue

It fit like a charm and shoots fine. It has nice bluing which matches the rest of the gun.
Old October 3, 2016, 06:38 PM   #14
AKexpat

Quote:
While browsing a local gunstore today I found a older Remington Wingmaster that caught my attention. It was in nice shape overall and priced at $299. Only negative I saw was that it had a rail mounted on top...
I am going to guess that it was ventilated rib on the barrel on that old Wingmaster.

You should have bought it at that price and walked out the door with it.

The "rail", whatever it is, can be removed if it is not a factory vent rib.

I shot skeet with an 870 IC vent rib barrel in the late 60's and have never found a better, more positive shotgun, and I previously had an 1100.

Also a good choice for an extended mag.

Your choice, sir.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old October 3, 2016, 09:22 PM   #15
lefteye

I am not a trap, skeet or sporting clays shooter, but I have five (or is it six) Model 870 shotguns. (If my wife asks what kind of shotguns I have I just tell her an 870.) They are functional, reliable, durable, comfortable and effective.

Last edited by lefteye; October 3, 2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old October 4, 2016, 12:56 PM   #16
vba

lefteye, that is what I have four 870's. Like to keep things same same.

870's are easy to work on, parts galore, are reliable and FAMILIAR.