The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Magpul SGA Mossberg Shotgun Furniture Review

Lots of folks have been waiting since SHOT last year for Magpul to release their Mossberg shotgun furniture and it's finally started shipping out. I snagged a set and here's what I've found so far:

Stock Pros:
-Very ergonomic.
-Good texturing on the grip.
-LOP is user adjustable between about 12.5'' and 14.5'' (my measurements, it may be slightly different officially).
-There are different height combs available for use with optics
-You can put QD sling attachment points on either side of the stock.
-The grip angle puts your thumb in a great position to work the safety.

Stock Cons:
-The trigger group doesn't drop out for disassembly as it should with it installed. Easy fix but it's worth pointing out.
-Some folks think it looks ugly but it's grown on me over the past year since I've had it on my 870s.

Forend Pros:
-Handstops in the front and back of forend provide a good grip to run the action hard.
-3 slots on the left, bottom, and right provide a lot of options for mounting accessories on the forend as the user requires.

Forend Cons:
-Not so much a con but with all the Mossberg 500 models floating around out there it may not fit your shotgun (see the video for examples). Most will work however.

All in all, for around $140 MSRP the addition of the stock and forend are an excellent upgrade to your fighting shotgun in my opinion. I'd certainly buy them again. Here's a video with some shooting, a discussion of the pros/cons/features of the products, and what I think of them overall:

Magpul SGA Mossberg Furniture Review Link
Old December 14, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

I got mine on Thursday and got it all installed. Went out to the desert with a friend today and blew up some water bottles and almost an entire case of beer(someone left it at my house and I don't drink).

I'm really liking the feel of the Magpul furniture. Handling around the house, it felt like the grip area of the stock might have been a little short, but in practice it seemed perfect. I'm running the run with just one of the spacers in and it feels great. The Magpul recoil pad works well.

Funny thing is, I was really just excited about the stock, but decided to get the matching set. I'm glad I did because I was really impressed with the fore end. I ran though 80 rounds of Rio 00 buck, 25 rounds of #7 bird shot, 3 rounds of Super X 3" 00buck(ouch), and 5 rounds of the Winchester PDX1 slug+buck rounds.

Those PDX1 rounds have a good bit of kick to them. The Rio buckshot isn't bad at all.

I put the set of furniture I got on my 20" 590A1 as shown below. I also have the 18.5" 590A1 w/ ghost rings like you have in the video. I think I'm going to order the FDE set for that one. All in all, I really like this furniture. The stock is expensive, but the modularity for LOP is excellent and easy. I also really like the hex key bolt for attachment vs the long flathead screw on the standard stock(s).

Old December 15, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Chad.C

Cool stock if I'm not mistaken they released this for the 870 a while ago right?
Old December 15, 2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Uncle Malice

Yeah, the 870 version has been around for a while. They announced at SHOT show that they were making a Mossberg version and it just recently started shipping finally.

I'm personally not a fan of the 870 at all - primary only because of that loading gate. If you accidentally to get a round loaded all the way into the mag tube and it snaps out underneath the loading gate - the gun is completely out of commission until you rip the magazine tube apart, disassemble it, and pull that round out.... It happened to me twice on the 870 I used to have and just determined that this was way too much of a liability. I haven't seen many other people talk about this issue before, and that surprises me.

It's Mossberg for me. Everything about it just makes sense.
Old December 15, 2013, 03:34 PM   #5
amd6547

I was really looking forward to this stock...but, $100 is kind of steep. After all, I only paid $75 for my Mossberg in about 1985, LOL.
I'm running the Hogue overmold stock and forend now and like them a lot. In fact, I would not want to change the forend at all. I really like the grippy rubber feel of the Hogue forend.

Maybe down the road, after the initial excitement dies down, the price will get more reasonable. $75, I might do...$100? Pass.
Old December 15, 2013, 06:27 PM   #6
SoilworK777

The stock seems to have virtues. The forend seems somewhat pointless.

Quote:
accidentally to get a round loaded all the way into the mag tube and it snaps out underneath the loading gate
Did you mean accidentally "not" get it loaded all the way in?

FWIW, that's never happened to me. Did your 870 have the flex tab on the shell lifter?
Old December 15, 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
The forend seems somewhat pointless
Not if you want to mount a light.
Old December 15, 2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I'm running the Hogue overmold stock and forend now and like them a lot. In fact, I would not want to change the forend at all. I really like the grippy rubber feel of the Hogue forend.
My friend who went out with me yesterday has the same 590A1 and he has the Hogue set on his. I do like the feel of the Hogue fore end. One thing I noticed about the Magpul fore end is the high sides which help to prevent you from touching the hot barrel.

Quote:
Did you mean accidentally "not" get it loaded all the way in?

FWIW, that's never happened to me. Did your 870 have the flex tab on the shell lifter?
Yes I did. Typo. I believe there was some kind of cut-out on the shell lifter. I don't recall if it was a flexible tab. Didn't seem that way.
Old December 16, 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
SoilworK777

plouffedaddy,

I've read that the forend has a tenancy to rub the finish off of the sides of the barrel over time.

Do you find this to be true on your 870?
Old December 16, 2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Mrgunsngear

Yes.