The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 24, 2005, 04:10 AM   #1
agent00

45 colt bp load for self defence?

hi, mayby I have got the chance the purchase a colt saa at a good price. I would use the gun primerly for fun shooting and mayby for self defence.

can somebody recomend me a good 45 lc load for sel defence?
Old April 25, 2005, 05:40 AM   #2
SmokinTom

Winchester Silvertips.
Old April 30, 2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Jbar4Ranch

I'm pretty sure Silvertips aren't loaded with black powder.

35 - 38 grains of FF or FFF is about all you're going to get into modern solid head cases. A little compression is good, but DO NOT leave any airspace. If you use less than a full case, use some kind of filler, such as corn meal or cream of wheat to take up the excess space.

SASS 47015
Old April 30, 2005, 01:39 PM   #4
griz

Black powder might compensate for the SA disadvantage of slow reloading. After you fire five rounds, your tactical smoke screen will provide cover for a retreat. While the smoke clears you can use the time to reload and call 911.

But I think I would use silver tips or see if Cor Bon or Georgia Arms made a light weight HP in that caliber.
Old May 19, 2005, 05:49 PM   #5
6shooter

I don't use black powder for self defence loads, but I do use .45colt calibre 250gr bullet with 8.5grns of unique smokeless powder. It does a fine job.
Old May 19, 2005, 11:39 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

The old round is just as good now as it was in 1885.

Maybe better, because we DO have smokeless powder. You fire two shots at a coyote or feral dog, or one shot signal your buddy. Perhaps one shot to evict a rattler from the driveway. You can wait until tomorrow -- or next week --to clean the revolver. Shoot even ONE black powder round, best clean it before bedtime, if you want to keep your handgun nice.

You have a difficulty with someone, you've more to worry about than pyrotechnics. A clear sight picture for a follow up shot may be VERY important. For cowboy action shooting, I really admire those so dedicated to tradition and authenticity that they'll do it the "olden days" way. But that's for contests, and for showing off.

If you accept the drawbacks of an SAA for self defense, there's a LOT of good loads. You ask about BP stuff, you either load or have a buddy to do it for you.

Save the RNFP bullets for sporting use and the JHPs for hunting. Obtain some 250 gr. lead semi-wadcutters and load with - -
Unique, 8.5 ----------- ~880 fps
H. Universal, 8.5 gr, -- ~ 840
Win 231, 8.0 gr ---------- 850
Do you believe the .45 ACP is a decent fighting cartridge? Any of these loads is better. You CAN load hotter, but these are plenty sufficient, and are highly controllable. None will numb your hand or slow you down at all. Concentrate on cocking, sight picture, and trigger press.

The Win Silvertips are a nice, soft shooting load. I personally believe in a full weight bullet, for whatever purpose.

Best,
Johnny
Old May 22, 2005, 09:25 PM   #7
drinks

oo;
Do you still live in Austria?
Don
Old May 25, 2005, 02:43 PM   #8
agent00

yes. I still live in Austria why do you ask?
Old June 5, 2005, 09:42 PM   #9
beenthere

Black Powder/ Home Devense

I chuckled to myself when I read this line. I'd have to pray the BG would at least shoot me a little bit. Otherwise when my wife got set to clean up the mess from the black powder settling on things whe might shoot me herself (with a smokeless load).
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour