The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2012, 07:05 PM   #26
dacaur

Quote:
I was wondering, why does you all suggest the caliper vs. an outside micrometer?
An outside micrometer is way more accurate than we need here, generaly ony measures in one inch incriments (so you need a 0-1", a 1-2",, a 2-3" a 3-4", etc) is prone to reading errors (unless digital) and takes WAY longer to change lengths (turn the end many times vs slide a caliper)

Basicaly, in this accplication a caliper is better than a micometer for the same reason we dont need a $345 gage block set, a micrometer is overkill. micrometers read to .0001" or better (one ten thousandth) when all we really need for reloading is something that reads to .001" (one thousanth)

When I need to figure out how long a nail or screw is, i grab a tape measure or ruler, rather than a set of calipers.... Yes I "could" use the calipers, but why?
Old January 6, 2012, 07:07 PM   #27
David Bachelder

I use the Harbor Freight Caliper. I don't have any idea weather it is accurate or not. I assume it is since my reloads work ...... most of the time.

They do eat the batteries though. If I had to complian it would be about battery life.
Old January 6, 2012, 08:20 PM   #28
Don P

Quote:
did you buy a set of Certified Steel Blocks for $345.00?"
Nope I use the pins that came with my micrometers and I have a gage block. All my measuring equipment is 30+ years old

For us re-loaders all our tools are capable of measuring anything we are going to do. None of us at the reloading bench need .0001 capabilities
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:05 PM   #29
HJ857

I've had a Harbour Freight and a Frankford Aresenal digital caliper and both showed the same tendency to drift and force a re-zero almost constantly. I couldn't trust them. I was about an inch away from ordering a Starett but by chance found that Home Depot carries the General UltraTech for around 35 bucks, and I figured it was worth a gamble. This has been an outstanding caliper and it does measure to 0.0001. Been using it a couple years now.

All those digitals that run from 12-18 bucks looks like they're made in the same factory regardless of the brand name that's stamped on them. At this point, I assume they're all crap products.
Old January 6, 2012, 11:36 PM   #30
dacaur

Yep. of the 3 harbor freight calipers I bought, 2 need to be re-zeroed after each measurement or they start to drift. But even the one that doesn't is still a pain since it chews through batteries ridiculously fast if I dont take the battery out after every use.... A good name brand caliper will have 1-3 years life on a single battery, with daily use, even if you leave the battery in when you are not using it......
Old January 6, 2012, 11:43 PM   #31
Jim243

Quote:
All those digitals that run from 12-18 bucks looks like they're made in the same factory regardless of the brand name that's stamped on them. At this point, I assume they're all crap products.
I am sure I paid $18.00 for this caliper about 7 years ago to Midway USA and have changed the batteries maybe 4 times, could be 5 times.

As far as drift, 0.005 and yes you need to zero them each time you use them. That's what the zero button on them are for.

Are they crap products??? Maybe, but give me crap every time than overpriced equipment that will do no better.

Jim
Old January 7, 2012, 12:02 AM   #32
dacaur

so I guess when reloading then you just buy the cheapest bullets, powder, and primers? I mean, why pay more for accuracy when the cheap stuff will get the job done?
Old January 7, 2012, 12:28 AM   #33
Jim243

Quote:
so I guess when reloading then you just buy the cheapest bullets, powder, and primers? I mean, why pay more for accuracy when the cheap stuff will get the job done?

That is correct. Anything but Berry's Bullets.
Jim

I also do it with CHEAP rifles, this was done with a Savage "package" rifle in 270 Winchester that cost me $445.00 from Walmart. Standard trigger, 130 grain Hornady 130 grain SST, 5 shot group, H-4895 powder and Win LR primer and Remington cases.

Last edited by Jim243; January 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old January 7, 2012, 01:08 AM   #34
dacaur

hornady sst's arent the cheapest bullets out there.... I use 165gr SST's in my .308.
Wouldnt you agree that, while they cost a little more than some, the extra cost is worth the precision? I did the re-zero after every measurment thing for a while, it got old quick for me....

Off topic, Looking at your pic, you must not be married, my wife would NEVER let me reload in the bedroom! Nice .... Or, do you have a bed in your gun room? even better!!!
Old January 7, 2012, 08:31 AM   #35
Jim243

Nope, married 27 years. We live in a small two bedroom townhouse, no garage or basement. It is a large bedroom and one wall is set up for reloading. While Hornady is not the cheapest, they are better priced than Nosler, Sierra, Remington or Speer bullets. Winchester may be a little cheaper or about the same, but I am hooked on those little plastic tipped A-Max, V-Max and SST bullets (I can't believe it's not butter, LOL).

Keep an eye on Midway USA, every now and then they have a sale on bulk blem bullets at a very good price. My last purchase was for what turned out to be 95 grain Hornady 243 SST's along with 200 - 130 grain 270's. I bought 100 of those and when they came in turned around and bought another 200 more of the 95 grainers. I also bulk purchase their once fired cases in 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig and 45 ACP, Midway has that sale about once a year, but you have to be right on top of it when they come in, since the cases are all sold out in one or two days.

Longdayjake (a member here) owns RMR http://www.rmrbullets.com/ and has pretty good prices on the bulk bullets he sells.

There are bargains out there, you just have to keep your eyes open for them.

Good Shooting and stay safe.
Jim
Old January 7, 2012, 12:56 PM   #36
Servant

Asked about the mics because....I have have some. Didn't think about it them before I ordered my caliper so was looking for a good reason I bought the caliper instead of using my mics.
Old January 7, 2012, 01:23 PM   #37
dacaur

well, when your calipers get there, take out a 9mm round, a 45acp round and a rifle round, with the caliper measure them all, then measure them all with the micrometer. PITA? there is your answer...
Old January 7, 2012, 02:46 PM   #38
Mal H
Staff

Exactly. The accuracy argument aside (you do not need micrometer accuracy in most all reloading procedures), the ease of use of a caliper over a micrometer is a huge factor. Switching mic's when you are measuring bullets, and then COL's, and back to bullets can be a real pain. Even if using a single mic, if the measurements are fairly far apart, you are going to be spending most of your time twisting the mic screw rather than making fast usable measurements.