The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2000, 06:17 PM   #1
VictorLouis

I've been eyeing this one for most of the past year. It just seemed to 'fit' me like no other SG. After reading a glowing review, and hearing it lauded by Hans Vang, I was even more jazzed. I got discouraged after I handled the gun with some snap caps, as suggested to me by another poster, and thought I had foresworn it. On Friday, one of my favorite dealers had it , and I just felt compelled to be a lab rat.

The bad news: It is awkward to top-off while maintaining a stock weld, with the muzzle downrange. This seems to be the method that is currently in-vogue. The lifter/elevator is locked unless you press in the bolt-release on the right side, just under the operating handle. That's it. I don't know if that is truly a liability in any way. If it is, I am certainly open to a discourse.

The good news: My example seems to be unaware of the myths surrounding its design. It accepts 2-3/4", OR 3" shells, it has replaceable chokes and feeds everything from trap loads to slugs w/o a care! I'm not sure, but I think it comes with an Imp. Cyl. choke, as that's what the owner's manual makes reference to for best results with the use of slugs.

I went through about 100 assorted rounds of Fiochi 1oz. #7-1/2 trap, Federal 1-5/8 oz.#5 magnum(for turkey), Fed.'s regular OO buck and HP slugs from Wally World. No malfs. I then loaded with 5rds of Win. #8 AA. I held the gun up with both hands as loosely as I could, and proceeded to empty it downrange w/o any 'limp wrist' failure. There was little in the way of much carbon to clean up, and it was simple to field strip.

This morning, I used it to shoot 3 rounds of trap, a sport that I have been wishing to try out. I used more of the Fiochi, and it locked open after each round just as it should. Oh, I pretty well bombed, with 13/25 being my best of the three. I liked it, and I'll do it again.
Old December 17, 2000, 08:52 PM   #2
Gorthaur

Thanks for the report.

Maybe I'll put it back on my wish list. Were you pleased with the speed of the action?
Old December 17, 2000, 09:22 PM   #3
VictorLouis

YES! Very fast indeed.

Though I do not have a Benelli for direct comparison, I have owned one in the past. I think the A1 may just give it a run-for-the-money. Now to get a Choate extension, and possibly an Ashley tritium bead. I tend to agree with Dave Mcc's philosophy of keeping the accoutrements at a minimun and working on your skills instead.
Old December 18, 2000, 12:50 AM   #4
Gorthaur

I wonder if a Vang comp'd 9200 would cycle as well with the different ammo. Any thoughts?
Old December 18, 2000, 07:17 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the compliment,Vic. As for topping off, try this...

Keeping the weapon mounted,use your firing hand/arm to pull the weapon back into your shoulder cup. Then, access a spare round and place your thumb on the brass end,and your forefinger at the other. Move the shell to the loading port and press it against same. Your other fingers will index along the reciever,and one should be able to hit the button and unlock the carrier. Load by pushing firmly with your thumb and regrip the forearm for a moment while you keep the shotgun pointed safely. Then repeat as needed. If you shoot it dry, throw the first one in through the ejection port, slap the button and repeat the above technique until full.

Any questions, feel free to ask, I'm doubtful I explained that plain enough...
Old December 18, 2000, 07:19 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, I forgot something. Do that reload drill with snap caps first,just like any other reload drill.Save live ammo for the range and field...
Old December 18, 2000, 03:50 PM   #7
VictorLouis

Good one Dave, though it works best for right-handers.

I shoot long arms southpaw, due to a dominant left eye. I can accomplish pretty much the same technique in this way. I hold the shell in my palm against the lifter, then press the button with my right thumb. As I force the nose up, I rotate my thumb around to engage the head of the cartridge and shove it in. I still wonder, though, why this is taught this way.

There is pistol instruction teaching you to keep the empty gun extended out at the target while you outstretch your weak hand to meet it with the spare mag for the reload. Yet, if you bring the the pistol in to just in front of your torso, and cant the butt toward your weak side, your hand can insert the spare much faster, and more positively. To me, that makes much more sense that trying to 'thread the needle' at the ends of your extended arms. You don't HAVE to take your eyes off of the target for either method, yet the latter is easier to do while on the move, as toward cover. Such techniques with the SG should also make a bit more sense, even though they may not look as kewl. If I am missing something here, please, tell me so.

I am with you on the snap caps. The first that I tried to function through the gun are Pachmayr's in blue. I only NOW found out that they are about 1/2" under the length of a normal shell! That's likely why they gave me trouble cycling through this gun, and the pump I had purchased. The orange dummy shells that I got from Dillon work like a champ, and I would suggest them for that purpose. I'll leave a blue one in the chamber for dry-fire practice.

Old December 18, 2000, 06:22 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm no speed demon, nor a local legend among the IPSC folks,but a 4-5 second reload for my GM(street clothes, concealed mag carrier)is a given.The key word is training.

Southpaws have some special needs when it comes to shotguns, but I've never seen one that didn't respond to better training and proper techniques.

I'd bet you could use my method, but go with what works for you. More than one way to get there....
Old December 19, 2000, 11:19 AM   #9
kerth

Sounds like someone else likes the 9200. I recently purchased a Bantam model, 22" vr bbl with screw chokes and 13.5" LOP. Shoots 2 3/4" and 3", light bird shot to heavy buckshot and slugs with no malfunctions or feed failures so far. I prefer it's balance and weight to my 11-87s. If you want one too better buy it soon, I hear Mossbergs patent liscense has expired and will no longer produce the 9200. Don't know this for an absolute fact but I believe it to be true. Enjoy your soon to be extinct 9200s!

kerth
Old December 22, 2000, 12:49 AM   #10
mib2000

Mossberg 9200A1 "Jungle Gun"

VL,

Thanks for the range report. Glad to hear about the happy ending with the ammo test on this shotgun.

The "Jungle Gun" I used to own (before going to the 870HD!) would never reliably cycle those Winchester AA loads. Tried four or five boxes. Wanted 'em to work, as they were such a good value.

A tritium front sight might make for a useful addition to your tactical shotgun. On my former 9200A1 (and my current 870HD), I went with a Scattergun Tech ramped front nightsight. Brownells sells them, IIRC, and I'm sure Scattergun Tech will break a sight set if you only want the front. On the back end, I had (and have on my 870)an MMC plain ghost-ring rear. Fast sighting, very robust setup, if this suits your needs. Just the tritium sight on the front, which is what I also do with both my Glocks.

(FWIW, I was so impressed with MMC's wares, I put their adjustable rear sight on my new Glock 35.)

Scattergun Tech/Wilson Combat
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/

MMC
http://www.mmcsight.com/mmcghost.html

Hey, that clay shooting's a blast, eh? Aiming to get a Beretta doublegun for my birthday next month ... to shoot skeet and a little bit of sporting clays.

Enjoy the new Mossberg. Happy holidays and safe shooting.