The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Glock 26 vs. S&W M&P Compact
Glock 26 29 56.86%
S&W M&P Compact 22 43.14%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 6, 2007, 04:18 PM   #1
vertigoing

Glock 26 Vs S&W M&P Compact

I think I finally narrowed it down to these two pistols. The Glock 26 is a highly regarded, dependable handgun with a long track record. The M&Pc is just out of the gate and seems to be doing pretty well. Which would you buy and why?
Old January 6, 2007, 04:30 PM   #2
teejhot.40cal

Glock 26. Reason
  1. It's a glock
  2. I have a 19 so it can be a bug
  3. I held the M&P and hated the grip.
  4. I am not the only person who thinks this way.
Old January 6, 2007, 05:11 PM   #3
JN01

As you noted, the Glock has a proven track record.

With the Glock, you can get an AA .22 conversion for lots of cheap practice.

I don't know what spare magazines cost for the S&W, but Glock mags seem to be about the cheapest of any gun company.
Old January 6, 2007, 05:39 PM   #4
LICCW

Go Glock

I have been using a G26 as a concealed carry weapon for a while now and I love it. Light, easy to conceal, practice ammo is cheap (epecially compared to my 1911) and it will feed anything and always go bang. Plus mags etc, are cheap and plentiful. Now I should note that I have little to no experience with the M&P other than fondling one, but I was not crazy about the tool or the procedure for dissassembly. Nothing is easier to take down and clean than a Glock. Good luck!
Old January 6, 2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Ozzieman

I have two G26's

One my wife carries and the other I do.
I did not like the gun without the mag extension. It adds only a little in over all size and makes the gun feel much bigger than it is when firing.
For hot weather I added the Glock grip pannels that are like sand papper and cut to match the gun.
The one gun has fired over 3000 rounds to date and has never had a miss fire.
I am one that would like to see a manual safety on the gun but thats only becouse I grew up with 1911's and feel much more comfortable with one.
Get the 26.
Old January 6, 2007, 08:16 PM   #6
The Body Bagger

Glock because it is proven, especially in 9mm. There simply isn't a better a choice. The others who choose something else, choose them to be different, not because Brand X is better.
Old January 6, 2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Logs

I have the 26 and full size M&P 9mm. I have shot about 500 rounds through the M&P with no problems. I wouldn't sell either gun, but I do like the grip on the M&P.

At one time the Glock was unproven, I think the M&P is a very nice weapon. I got mine for $369. www.budsgunshop.com Just because the Smith has not been frozen, baked in an over or driven over by a tank doesn't mean it isn't going to be durable. My $.02

Either way you will have a nice handgun.
Old January 6, 2007, 08:54 PM   #8
TiP99

where are the comments from the people who voted m&p. I was looking at this choice myself for concealed carry. I choose Glock. For all the above mentioned reasons and due to the availability of quality holsters. A good holster is just as important as a good gun for a comfortable carrying experience. My .02
If you want peace - prepare for war
Old January 6, 2007, 10:29 PM   #9
hpg

The Glock for now, until the M&P has developed a track record. I never buy a newly introduced gun until it has been on the market for a year or 2. Let the manufacturers get the bugs worked out of the new models..................hpg
Old January 6, 2007, 11:51 PM   #10
Jason607

I have a G27, which is just like a G26 but in .40S&W. Highly recomend it. Easy to carry, not bulky, very reliable. I have been carrying it every day, many times actually on me for nearly six years, shot I dont' know how many rounds through it, never failed, and the thing still looks brand new except were it contacts the holster right in the front, just a little shiny there.
Old January 7, 2007, 07:48 PM   #11
vertigoing

THis is a pretty close poll, anyone want to give feedback on the M&P compact?
Old January 7, 2007, 08:13 PM   #12
GreyFox

glock... you can use the g19 clips if you eve wanted too, and its nice and small and you can find anything you want for them.. a lot of people have accessories and every company makes em. Then the obvious that Glock makes good guns,... theres nothing wrong with a M&P but theres more going for the glock.
Old January 8, 2007, 10:47 AM   #13
DennisD

I voted M&P (I just bought a ,40 full size). I held different models of Glock and none of them were comfortable to me. I had to adjust the angle of my wrist every time I brought up the Glock to get sight alignment. With the M&P I could just bring up the gun and the sights were naturally aligned. Everyone I have personally talked to said the same thing. You have to try for yourself to see which works for you. And additionally, I have 600 rounds through the M&P so far including carry ammo and not one hint of a problem. Holster wise, I have a Galco that is all day comfortable with the M&P on my hip. There are several others making holsters for the M&P with more to come I‘m sure.

NRA Life
Old January 8, 2007, 05:12 PM   #14
natjohnb

for more feedback on M&P compacts, check this out:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=38