The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 3, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1
ED7578

Stoeger vs mossberg silver reserve

Which is a better fit for a newbie clay enthusiast??
Mossberg silver reserve or a stoeger
Old September 3, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
idek

When you say "better fit," if you literally mean which one fits/feels better, that varies from shooter to shooter. If you mean which is "better suited" it's probably a toss-up.

I admit I haven't used either, but from what I've read/heard over the years (the topic of "which inexpensive O/U" is a common one), the Condors seem a little more well-liked. People's experiences with those guns seem mixed (some really like them, some don't) while the Silver Reserve gun experiences seem more negative in general.

A lot of people will say buy neither. It's not that they can't be fun or won't work, but it seems that it's harder to make a good O/U on the cheap than it is to make a good cheap pump or even an auto.

I don't say this to sound like a snob. I own some cheap pump and single shot shotguns and enjoy them. But If I wanted an inexpensive O/U, I'd maybe look for a used CZ (made after 2007). Used Charles Daly O/Us (made by the same company that makes Browning Citori) can also be found. You might find these around $600.

For the cost of guns you'd mentioned, I'd probably look at a Mossberg 930 auto instead.
Old September 3, 2012, 12:37 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

You may not mean "fit" as the term is frequently used in regards to shotguns, when it means that a gun physically "fits" an individual, when it automatically points where the shooter looks when mounted. I am guessing you mean fit in the sense that the gun is well suited to a new shooter, which is an extremely subjective question.

It depends on the shooter; their budget, how often they will be shooting, their expectations, if they know they will be shooting clays for years to come, and etcetera.

Generally, I think you should forget both of those guns. If budget is an issue, and it usually is, look at used semi aoutomatic in good condition.
Old September 3, 2012, 12:58 PM   #4
WV_gunner

Stoeger Condor is a good gun, at least in my experience. My only complaint is it was real stiff, it will eventually get easier to open, especially shooting Magnum slugs.
Old September 3, 2012, 01:05 PM   #5
oneounceload

It would also be nice to have your definition of "clays enthusiast". IF you will be shooting a lot, the cost of the gun is meaningless.

Example - my main target gun is right at 18 years old now, and has about 240,000 rounds through it. If you factor target costs at .25/each - averaging registered and regular, and the same costs for ammo- both reloaded and factory for registered - that becomes $120,000 over that 18 year period - so spending $1000 for the gun (way back then) has paid for itself. In that time frame I have replaced the firing pins and springs one time - total cost about $100

Take a cheap gun that MIGHT last 5-10,000 rounds for a cheap price, and then calculate how many guns you would have to buy to equal the longevity. There are times when buying it once really DOES pay

All that being said - IF you are going in this direction, do yourself a favor and buy the quality up front first - get it fitted and enjoy it for a long time

If after all this you really mean shooting in the backyard, then anything that fits you well will work
Old September 3, 2012, 01:50 PM   #6
BigJimP

The quality of either gun ....is suspect at best...in my view.

If you're going to go to a lower end priced gun...at least look at the TriStar because I understand they have a 5 yr warranty.

Like others have said....you might be way better off with a good pump gun or a good semi-auto at that price.
Old September 3, 2012, 01:58 PM   #7
JKilbreth

Never fired that model Mossberg, but I can tell you I'm a strong FS for Stoegers. Just my $0.02
Old September 3, 2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Old_Crow

Both guns have been a bucket full of problems. I love Mossbergs, the 500 is my favorite gun. I know 2 people that have experienced bulged barrels with the Stoeger. I have heard of other bulged barrels. I can't provide you with an online link to prove it. Just call Durham County Wildlife Club in Durham, NC. They are open to the public on Sat and Sun.

The Mossberg barrels aren't bulging but people are having other problems with them. As I stated earlier I love Mossberg and give them the benefit of the doubt until the problems are overwhelming.
Old September 3, 2012, 03:41 PM   #9
jmr40

Good doubles ain't cheap. Cheap doubles ain't good.

Not everyone can justify spending $1000-$2000 to get a good gun. But with a sub $1,000 budget there are lots of pumps and a few semi's that will be 10X better than what you are looking at.

I'd love to own a good quality double, but don't shoot enough to justify the costs. Trust me, I've tried almost all of the cheap doubles, and could have bought a good one with all the money I lost on bad ones. Learn from my mistakes!!!

I finally got smarter and decided to buy the best quality gun I could afford and justify with my shooting needs. For only slightly more than a cheap double I bought a lightly used Benelli M-1. I'm happy with my choice, but a Beretta or even Remington semi is a better long term choice than a cheap double. If you like pumps and pretty wood you can get a pretty classy Wingmaster or Browning BPS for about the same cost as these cheap doubles.
Old September 3, 2012, 03:44 PM   #10
jmortimer

"For the cost of guns you'd mentioned, I'd probably look at a Mossberg 930 auto instead."
+1 - Mossberg 930 is the best value for the $$$ and as good as anything under $1,000. You can get a new one for around $600.00 or less.
Old September 4, 2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I was shooting wobble one time with a guy with a new SR. It disassembled itself in the course of that round.

Stoegers also have a less than a stellar rep.

Were I trying to do as the OP is, I'd look for a used SKB, Winchester 101, elderly Citori,etc.

When I got my Beretta 686 White Onyx Sporter (quite a mouthful,huh?), it was $1725 out the door. I spent way more than that on loading components that year.

There were a few very minor probs with that 686. All ironed out now and after about 30K rounds, it shoots well.

I'm about to turn 66. I doubt I'll wear it out......
Old September 15, 2012, 03:58 AM   #12
RCPractitioner

I have a Mossberg Silver Reserve in 12 gauge, haven't had any issues with it and it's killed lots of dove.