The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Lavid2002

good website? http://powdervalleyinc.com/

Is this a good website in terms of price?
Old May 19, 2008, 05:54 AM   #2
Lavid2002

no?

no ones ever used it before? how do the prices look this will be my first purchase for reloading materials.
Old May 19, 2008, 06:52 AM   #3
cdrt

I haven' purchased from them, but know a couple guys who have. They have been very satisifed with service. Powder Valley will combine shipments to try and save you on the shipping charges. They are definitely cheaper than Dillon and Midway on some items like primers.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old May 19, 2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Alleykat

I've dealt with them for years and now acquire all my powder and primers from Powder Valley. Great people with whom to deal!
Old May 19, 2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Sevens

I haven't bought from them yet, but only because you need to buy in volume to make it worth paying the shipping and hazardous materials handling fee. If you can buy enough to negate the fees, then I honestly haven't seen powder or primers cheaper ANYWHERE than Powder Valley.
Old May 19, 2008, 08:13 AM   #6
HJ857

It's best to work up a shopping cart and two or three places and compare the final cost. Powder Valley does not include shipping in their online checkout form and that can be significant. So the cost that you see on your checkout form will be different from the actual invoice cost.

Grafs includes shipping in the per item cost, so you only get tagged with insurance and hazmat, plus if you order a lot, you can get either or both a 5% discount or a hazmat waiver. Overall I find that Grafs is less expensive. http://www.grafs.com/

Also check out Wiedeners. http://www.wideners.com/

These days it's really a matter of who has everything you need in stock at the same time. A few bucks difference between shops is irrelevant if you have to pay shipping from more than one location.
Old May 19, 2008, 05:08 PM   #7
38 Super Auto

I got my last propellant / primer order from Powder Valley. Very good prices and reasonable shipping. I don't see any reason to go anywhere else.

I used to get most of my stuff at the Indy 1500 gun show, but very few people sell components any more: there are more vendors selling jerky and candy than selling primers and powder.
Old May 19, 2008, 05:11 PM   #8
mavracer

yep they're great to deal with pluss it's only about 30min from my house
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old May 19, 2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Alleykat

Even when I had a dealer account @ Graf's, I did better @ Powder Valley...plus, I hate the fact that Graf's, contrary to their contract with the credit card companies, charges a 3% surcharge for the use of plastic. That's unconscionable, to me.
Old May 19, 2008, 08:58 PM   #10
Lavid2002

Old May 21, 2008, 07:30 AM   #11
HJ857

Quote:
Even when I had a dealer account @ Graf's, I did better @ Powder Valley...plus, I hate the fact that Graf's, contrary to their contract with the credit card companies, charges a 3% surcharge for the use of plastic. That's unconscionable, to me.
This must be a dealer only surcharge. I checked my invoice from last week and there was no CC surcharge.
Old May 21, 2008, 07:49 AM   #12
Alleykat

Quote:
Even if the 'bad guy' is immediately identifiable as a 'bad guy' he's still going to get a "DON'T MOVE" and a chance to make me think twice about pulling the trigger.
Could be, but the way their invoices are structured, they don't make the surcharge too easy to discern. I've ordered from them, both as a dealer and not, and I believe I was charged the surcharge both ways, but that might not be correct. I do know that dealers have to pay shipping.
Old May 21, 2008, 02:54 PM   #13
CrustyFN

Quote:
My experience is just the opposit. I get primers at Graf's for $10 cheaper per 5,000 with my C&R license. The 3% charge is what the credit card companies charge Graf's when you use your card. They offer the 3% discount if you send a check. Even with the 3% they are cheaper than anybody else I have found.
Rusty
Old May 23, 2008, 10:55 AM   #14
Alleykat

Quote:
My experience is just the opposit. I get primers at Graf's for $10 cheaper per 5,000 with my C&R license. The 3% charge is what the credit card companies charge Graf's when you use your card. They offer the 3% discount if you send a check. Even with the 3% they are cheaper than anybody else I have found.
Rusty
I used my dealer account at Graf's to acquire my 650 and other Dillon stuff. I know about the genesis of the 3%; also know that their charging the 3% is in violation of their agreement with the credit card companies. Every vendor who accepts credit cards has to pay a similar fee, but almost all don't charge extra for the use of credit cards.

It's bad from a business standpoint. Maybe that's why Graf's hasn't grown as much as some of their competitors.
Old May 23, 2008, 06:53 PM   #15
CrustyFN

Quote:
also know that their charging the 3% is in violation of their agreement with the credit card companies.
This is where I get confused. Could you explain what the agreement is between Graf's and the CC companies, I don't have a clue what it is.
Rusty