The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #1
ColoSpgsShooter

Used P95 issues

Bought a used P95 which after I had gotten it home appears to never have been cleaned. One long cleaning session and oil seemed to make it look like new...and then that is where the problems start.

Dry Fire using snap caps and I discovered that the DA trigger pull would sometimes "hang-up" If you apply lots more pressure it will finally break and then run 15-20 more pulls until it hangs again.

Slide is very difficult to lock back and almost impossible with no magazine.

Went to the range this past weekend and had a whole new set of problems. FTEs along with the magazine dropping down after firing a round from time to time. Determined it was not my grip engaging the magazine drop lever - possible bad spring that retains the magazine?

I was using Wolf WPA and ZVS 115 grain FMJ. Noticed the ZVS bullet was a little longer than the WPA - possible ammo issue causing the FTEs and magazine troubles? I did not have a caliper to check although I will be buying one based on these issues.

On top of that, was seeing light strikes on the primers. Detailed strip after the range to clear all the oil and residue out of the firing pin channel.

So my guess is at the minimum, the gun needs a new spring for the trigger bar, a new extractor, a new ejector, and possibly a new firing pin & spring. Would it be easier just to send back to Ruger with a detailed note or just replace on my own? Had a new P95 before that I had ZERO issues with which unfortunately I sold.

Thoughts or ideas and I appreciate you taking the time to read this long drawn out tale
Old September 3, 2013, 04:28 PM   #2
markj

Sounds like that gun was mis treated badly. I had a p95 it was flawless. Best strip it dwn and get out the mic, something isnt in tolerance.

It is a cheap gun, trade it in for a colt..
Old September 3, 2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
DA trigger pull would sometimes "hang-up" If you apply lots more pressure it will finally break and then run 15-20 more pulls until it hangs again.
Sounds like something wrong in the trigger mechanism.
Quote:
FTEs along with the magazine dropping down after firing a round from time to time. Determined it was not my grip engaging the magazine drop lever - possible bad spring that retains the magazine?
Could be a bad magazine. I had a magazine that got bent when I ran into a Skid loader. Would not stay in and FTE's were common. Changed the mag and problem solved. Don't you have two magazines with it? If so I would assume both did it and in that case something else is likely wrong with the mag catch. Also check if you have the right magazine/s, crazier things have happened.
Quote:
On top of that, was seeing light strikes on the primers.
Could be hard primers making the strikes look light. If I recall correctly Wolf has hard primers. If they all fired I would not worry about the firing pin.

The P95 has had a problem with extractors bending. Google Ruger p95 bent extractor.
Old September 3, 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
RussB

We can make wild guess', but I would contact Ruger and see if I could send it to them for evaluation and repair
Old September 3, 2013, 05:37 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Dry Fire using snap caps and I discovered that the DA trigger pull would sometimes "hang-up" If you apply lots more pressure it will finally break and then run 15-20 more pulls until it hangs again.

Slide is very difficult to lock back and almost impossible with no magazine.
Didn't you inspect the pistol before purchasing? Some of the items you mentioned you would need to fire to find out, but the ones above are not.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 3, 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
We can make wild guess', but I would contact Ruger and see if I could send it to them for evaluation and repair
It's used and the op is not the original owner therefor Ruger won't likely take it in. Read some previous post on Ruger Tech support you will see what I mean.
I was not making wild guesses, Doing a process of elimination. I have fixed a few guns over the years, I have some experience. Though experience is diminished severely when the gun it not in front of me.

I worked on one time where the guy had the wrong magazine in it. I happened to notice where someone had made a second hole in the magazine for the catch. Put a new mag and end of feeding issues.
Old September 3, 2013, 11:17 PM   #7
ColoSpgsShooter

Sold it back to the LGS for almost the full amount I paid for it. I did look at the gun prior to purchasing however I tend not to dry fire the trigger a lot so believe that is how I missed it. Thanks for the replies all...when I buy another P95, it will be new. Learned my lesson!
Old September 3, 2013, 11:21 PM   #8

Did you get the P-95 at Specialty Sports?
Old September 4, 2013, 12:57 AM   #9
rotten mick

P95 is a fine gun that many put down because its a "cheap gun". Its a solid gun that is over looked because of its price and reported heavy trigger. It does have a solid trigger that is
Stiff till around the 600-700 round count.

As with any gun or tool if misused or not cleaned it will break down. The P95 is not for limp wristed shooters and did have a ejector problem thats been fixed. As for ruger service I've never had to show that i was the original owner just the opposite.
Third, I'd pass on the wolf ammo. Stick with the fed, win, rem, and other such or hand loads.
Just because the p95 WILL chew thru most any ammo it doesn't always like it.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 4, 2013, 03:00 PM   #10
ColoSpgsShooter

@6.8 No, not Specialty Sports. Their prices are normally too high for my liking. A smaller LGS here in town.
Old September 5, 2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Dot_mdb

The dropping of the mags under recoil is a known issue with some P95s. Mine, bought new about 10+ years ago, had that problem and it eventually worsened. I sent the gun back to Ruger and they fixed that problem and one other at the same time.

Bill
Old September 6, 2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Lordy123

Here's one brand new for $288 with free shipping:

http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-p95-9mm...-polymer-23907

Good luck on your next purchase.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:03 PM   #13
mrcharlie3531

Quote:
It's used and the op is not the original owner therefor Ruger won't likely take it in. Read some previous post on Ruger Tech support you will see what I mean.
I was not making wild guesses, Doing a process of elimination. I have fixed a few guns over the years, I have some experience. Though experience is diminished severely when the gun it not in front of me
My first hand experience with Ruger Customer Service. I purchased a pre-owned Ruger lcp. It had issues with the factory mags falling out when loaded. It was not under and factory recalls.

Ruger Fixed it free of charge. I was honest the customer service rep told her I purchased it pre-owned. I had to pay shipping one way. ($30.00) They fix it , test fired 50 rounds and returned it to me.

I read somewhere as long as it's not modified. They'll fix it for you. I think the op has a chance of getting it repaired.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:24 PM   #14
RodTheWrench

Used P95 issues

That or you put it back together wrong.
Old September 8, 2013, 07:37 AM   #15
rotten mick

Actually Ruger will fix a modified gun back to originally shipped condtion. Ex if you disconnect the magazine safety and gun gets sent in for something else it WILL COME back with the saftey reconnected.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 8, 2013, 08:49 AM   #16
ritepath

288 bucks....makes me want to pick up one just to keep the miles off my
"vintage" p89.

Wonder if you can put p89 style decocker/safety levers on the p95 ???

Those flat levers are the only reason I don't own a p345.

On edit....the p95 doesn't appear to have those crappy flat levers on both sides like the 45.

Last edited by ritepath; September 8, 2013 at 08:58 AM.