The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 21, 2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Everglades Snake Hunting

Using Labrador Retrievers:

http://www.takepart.com/blog-series/...ons-everglades

So get a Lab and set up a snake-burger roadside eatery!
Old February 21, 2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Bailey Boat

I've always been a firm believer that every dog needs a "job", otherwise they get bored and become destructive.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
shortwave

Hmmm...I've eaten rattlesnake and it's actually very good.

Wonder how the python tastes???
Old February 22, 2012, 10:03 AM   #4
1hogfan83

Did it say what they are doing with them? Im hoping boots, wallets, ect? Just shooting just and doing whatever I dont know. A .38 with shot in it would probably do wonders. I hope the dog gets milkbones!
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 22, 2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Pahoo

It's all protein, I guess !!

I have been following this problem down there and it is serious. They are also eating large alligators and the gator will start to eat it's way out from inside the Burmese Python. By the time the gator makes it out, both soon die, a short time later. .....

I too have eaten Rattler and it's good. Don't see why a Burmese Python should be any different but right now, I'd say that I prefer that gator. .... IRO

Trained dogs are a great solution or detector as Pytons are very hard to spot. I have also see where dogs are trained to locate and retrieve a certain specie of endangered turtles. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 22, 2012, 04:10 PM   #6
LSnSC

I dont believ any snake no matter how large can handle a full grown gator. He is the apex predator in his environment. Ive watched gators eat everything from wading birds to wild hogs. I believe they would make short work of even a large snake.
Old February 22, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Pahoo

Size does matter !!!

Quote:
I dont believ any snake no matter how large can handle a full grown gator.
Okay; Then would you believe that a full grown Python can easily handle a medium size Gator? It's all relative and pythons are eating gators. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 24, 2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Bigfatts

I watched a show a while back on NatGeo where they found a python skeleton 20+ feet long, they thought it had died in a hard freeze. There is pretty much nothing that thing couldn't eat if it put its mind to it. I've read a few news reports that have said that in areas where the pythons had been established that rabbit, raccoon, possum, etc populations had declined up to 90%! Deer, Bobcat, etc were also on the decline. It really says something when RABBITS can't keep up with something. I tell you what, if man doesn't fill in the marsh and chop down all the trees he just dumps in a new super predator the ecosystem can't cope with.
Old February 24, 2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I dont believ any snake no matter how large can handle a full grown gator.
Uh, I wouldn't bet my life on that. This 'gator did and lost.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Swam...?cmpid=syn_rss

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 24, 2012, 09:09 PM   #10
shortwave

Not only is a python capable of killing gator but can and will also kill a croc. and caiman.

Last edited by shortwave; February 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old February 24, 2012, 09:32 PM   #11
ClayInTx

It can get serious.

After the pythons have cleaned up all the swamp critters they’ll then come into town and catch kids at the school bus stop.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:11 AM   #12
whip1

I believe a python can kill a gator. I DO NOT believe for a second that a gator can eat his way out of a python........ Pythons don't eat living prey.
Old February 25, 2012, 04:05 PM   #13
BigMikey76

Quote:
I believe a python can kill a gator. I DO NOT believe for a second that a gator can eat his way out of a python........ Pythons don't eat living prey.
Try again. I used to feed a Burmese python regularly (owned by a friend of mine). All she ate was live rabbits... and they were still kicking when she started swallowing.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:11 AM   #14
btmj

What are the natural predators of large pythons in Africa and SE Asia? In other words, what type of predator do those regions have that is missing in South Florida?

After the WSJ ran a story on this a few weeks ago, I talked to a marine biologist friend I know. In his opinion, gators eat small pythons regularly, and large pythons eat immature gators. But he did not think that a full grown 20 ft, 120 lb python (which would be a very rare near-record size) could eat a full grown 12 ft 600 lb alligator (which would not be unusually large at all). I should have asked him about the snake's natural predators, but I did not think of it until just now.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:32 AM   #15
Water-Man

It will take MUCH MORE than trained Labs to put a dent in Florida's python problem. They've been multiplying in the Everglades at least back to hurricane Andrew and that means there are a bunch of them.

And by the way btmj, a large python goes over 200 lbs.
Old February 26, 2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Be nice if the state would put a bounty on them. Maybe a sliding scale of $, based on length. Lots of out-of-work folks who still own shotguns, down in that area. Help solve two problems at once...
Old February 26, 2012, 10:44 AM   #17
btmj

I think there is a lot of misconception about the size of large snakes... similar to the claims of wild hogs the size of bison...

From Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_reticulatus
Quote:
Python reticulatus, also known as the (Asiatic) reticulated python[4], is a species of python found in Southeast Asia. Adults can grow to 6.95 metres (22.8 ft) in length[5] but normally grow to an average of 3-6 meters (10–20 feet). They are the world's longest snakes and longest reptile, but are not the most heavily built. ........ In general, reticulated pythons with lengths of more than 6 metres (20 ft) are rare. One of the largest scientifically measured specimens, which was from Balikpapan, East Kalimantan, Indonesia, was measured under anesthesia at 6.95 metres (22.8 ft) and weighed 59 kilograms (130 lb) after not having eaten for 3 months.[5] Widely published data of specimens that were reported to be several feet longer have not been confirmed
The heaviest snake species is the green anaconda... from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunectes_murinus
Quote:
The longest (and heaviest) scientifically recorded specimen was a female measuring 521 cm (17 ft 1 in) long and weighing 97.5 kilograms (215 lb).
These big snakes are so strong and powerful, that attempts to measure them have been problematic. Zoologists and other experts from the 1950's to the 1980's often over estimated the length and weight. When it takes 8 strong zoo men to manhandle a big snake, you just can't believe that it only weighs 120 lbs... 'cause it feels like 500 lbs... Back then there were no safe sedatives for reptiles. Today, biologists can get accurate measurements.

By contrast the average male American alligator is about 11 feet, and weighs between 400 and 800 lb. Some unusual specimens can grow to 14 ft and weigh in at 1000 lb. The biggest on record was 19 feet 2 inches and 2,200 lb.

As hunters, we need to find ways to pursue and take these snakes in the everglades, similarly to the way we have stepped up to the plate with the feral hog problem. The environmental damage in the everglades from these large snakes is alarming.

Last edited by btmj; February 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old February 26, 2012, 04:38 PM   #18
shortwave

^^^ ...and the average adult female is 8.2ft.

Remembering that we gave figures for adult gators and given the fact that a Fla. gator grows about a ft. per year, it's not hard to see that an overabundance of pythons could do some damage to the gator population given the fact that the smaller female gator is probably more likely killed by the python. As well as the smaller males.

I'm with Art.

There should be a bounty on them.
Instead FDNR has been trying to capitalize on the whole scenario by selling permits/tags to hunt them?

IMO, thats scary given the fact that when all this python thing went public, Fla. officials tried to down-play the quantity of pythons that even existed in Fla.
Old February 26, 2012, 05:32 PM   #19
bswiv

The snakes are a true concern regardless of their size.

What the FWC needs to do is open it wide to hunting..........and work on recipes.

Best way to control a invasive is to make people want to hunt it and eat it.....
Old February 26, 2012, 05:53 PM   #20
Water-Man

btmj, the snake in question here is the Burmese python and the large ones can and do go over 200lbs..
Old February 26, 2012, 07:37 PM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't think that the max size of either a python or a gator is worth worrying about. Even the smaller ones eat, and to date they've cleaned out small animals in the southern Glades.

What should concern us is the "how to" for reducing the problem. I doubt that there is any way at all to eradicate them.
Old February 26, 2012, 07:55 PM   #22
shortwave

As bswiv and others have stated...hunt em and get some good recipe's.

bswiv,

Better not let LouAnn jump in the water with the pythons like she does the gators.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #23
Bigfatts

I agree with whoever said the gov should put a bounty on them. It would give lots of people a chance to make extra money. And lord knows we need that right now.
Old February 26, 2012, 10:26 PM   #24
bigStag

Only the cold will kill 'em.

That swamp, everglades, is big there is nothing man could ever do. Its just to large, we had a cold snap two winter ago that put a big dent in them, also the iguana but thats the only thing that can slow them down.

Just like the pigs.....down see how man could put a serious stop to them.

With this warm winter wonder if the Python are working their way north?
Old February 26, 2012, 11:06 PM   #25
robhof

robhof

The native habitat of the pythons have big cats; as in tigers and panthers, that'll take small to medium snakes and even some snake eating eagles that'll cull the young, before they become overpopulated.