The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Swampman1

Hornady die problem

Ever since I started using the Hornady .223 decapping/resizing die, there are times when it is extremely difficult on the downstroke with what seems like a definite "snag". It gets so tight at times that it shakes the entire table. I've used a wirebrush on the inside of the neck, I've lubed the cases using One Shot case lube, and still the problem persists. Someone once said they had the same problem with Hornady resizer, and switched to RCBS and eliminated the problem. Is this really a Hornady problem, or something I'm doing wrong?
Old August 19, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
LE-28

I don't believe it is a Hornady problem. Make sure your resizing button is set low enough in your die that is doesn't try to come out of your die until after the neck is out of the resizer part of the die. That will cause a lot of trouble.

Also, make sure some of the lube gets into the neck of your case.

Also, if your case necks need re-annealed it will be difficult to get the resizing button back out of the case neck.

Some die companies make carbide re-sizing buttons that helps with this problem, I'm not sure if Hornady offers this or not. You need to call them and explain this to them.

It can be a problem with all the brands of reloading dies I've used for various reasons.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Okcafe86

Perhaps a different case lube is in order?
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 19, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4
schmellba99

If it is only every now and then, it is not the die - it is either the brass, lack of lube (get the Dillon lube - it works 100x better as a case lube than the One Shot) or some other factor.

Hornady makes good dies. The One Shot is best used as a spray lube on things other than cases for sull length sizing, and as a cleaner. I'm not a ble homer, but their case lube is way better thanything Hornady has in their inventory. I had issues with both Lee and Hornady dies when I tried to use One Shot as a case lube. Switched over to the Dillon brand (begrudgingly, I might add) and my issues went to almost none.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Okcafe86

I'll only use one shot on pistol brass after similar experiences. I'll use rcbs or imperial lube for rifle.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old August 20, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6
schmellba99

Yeah, I will use it on pistol brass with carbide dies. I am old school enough that I still lube pistol brass, even with good carbide dies. My mentality is that it is cheap, fast and saves wear and tear on the die, so it is a good thing. One Shot isgood for this type of stuff as well.
Old August 20, 2013, 11:41 AM   #7
JimDandy

You could also try one of those neck lubing box things like this - from Frankford Arsenal which is not an endorsement of either this particular product or Frankford Arsenal, most of the companies make something similar, I've seen one from Lyman as well for example.