The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
mwmjones

5.7 reloading experience

Anyone here have any experience loading the 5.7 cal and could make any recommendations
Old August 10, 2013, 11:04 PM   #2
reynolds357

5.7mm? 5.7 bullets in general or a particular cartridge?
Old August 10, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Sevens

I was going to attempt them, and then backed off.

I've offered my -UNUSED- die set for sale here, in two different areas, and haven't had even half a blip of interest.

It sure seems like so many avoid handloading this round.
I can tell you that I currently and actively load sixteen different calibers for handguns, and I elected to -NOT- work with 5.7x28.

Of course, that's just me.
Old August 10, 2013, 11:15 PM   #4
reynolds357

If you are referencing the 5.7X28Fn, then it is a tough cartridge to re-load. It does not give good case life due to the shoulder getting pushed up so far when it fires. Its a bit hard to size. I have re-loaded for it, but I quit shooting the pistol and it now resides in my safe.
Old August 11, 2013, 01:10 PM   #5
mwmjones

Thanks for the info I will keep researching
Old August 11, 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Rangefinder

FN5.7 is a seriously touchy cartridge to reload. Very small case capacity, very high pressures, and no wiggle room or forgiveness. If everything isn't exact, you're loading a hand grenade. Good luck--after spending four months trying to work up a load that was both reliable and SAFE, I said screw it. I like my fingers where they are.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 12, 2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

WELL... OK it is a major pain, but certainly is reloadable... I forced myself to get it down, by buying 1000 once fired cases ( I had my 5.7 X 28 very early after they came out ) I have now sold my autoloader, but have a Contender barrel, so I still load for it...

cases are lacquered, which I guess slows the action down, by sticking slightly... well it makes the cases stick in the dies... can't tell you how many of the lil rims I pulled off in dies... finally after the suggestion of my old mentor buddy, I took a new pad, & lubed it with STP Oil Treatment, & never stuck a case again after that...

as mentioned, the shoulder is blown forward, so far when fired in the FN guns, that some cases are bad, right off the bat... so I was losing maybe 1-2 in 20 or 30 once fired cases & 4 in 10 after a 2nd firing, & 6 in 10 after a 3rd firing, when shooting them in my auto... I've never had a case make it to the 5th loading... so brass life is very short... that is, when fired in the FN's or any non fixed breach gun... with the Contender, the case is no different than any other, as far as the shoulder is concerned, & thus case life is better in the Contender...

from a reloading / recipe point of view, it's not really much different than loading for a Hornet or Fireball, once you get past the sticky case issue
Old August 14, 2013, 06:00 PM   #8
mwmjones

which dies work the best?
Old August 14, 2013, 06:01 PM   #9
mwmjones

and where can I find the components like the bullets and what types of powder do you reccomend as well please?

I have plenty of brass so far.
Old August 14, 2013, 06:50 PM   #10
reynolds357

I have Redding dies. I used Ramshot True Blue.
Old August 15, 2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

I find the shell holder more important than the dies ( a good tight fit is required, so you don't pull the rim off ) I have one bad shell holder ( don't remember the brand... maybe RCBS ) & one good tight one, again, don't remember the brand

BTW... I like the Hornady New Dimension dies, for small calibers... they make seating little bullets in small cases easier, & I see they offer them in 5.7 X 28... I don't have the Hornady dies for my 5.7, but I'd probably buy the New Dimension dies if I needed some today...

I kinda like the lighter Hornet bullets for use in the 5.7... like the 40 grain & lighter bullets from this list at Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=15800

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; August 15, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old August 15, 2013, 10:28 AM   #12
mwmjones

Great information evryone

THANKS I will check them out
Old August 15, 2013, 06:37 PM   #13
darkgael

Redding dies. Ramshot True Blue. Yes.
I have also loaded with Accurate #7 and #9. I have tried Unique, 2400, HS-6, HS-7 (no longer available), and even 4064.
Much of that was before there was any load data available from powder manufacturers. I did not blow up anything, nor did I damage the gun.
I have used bullets weighing from 35 grains up to 55 grains. Some loads have proven startlingly accurate - four inches at one hundred yards with a factory semiauto...more than once or twice.
There is no denying that it is a trying little beast to load. Often the difference between start loads and max loads is only tenths of a grain.
And the shoulder.....even if the case is not ruined during firing, moving the shoulder back and then firing it forward work hardens them in short order and then case separation and bits of neck stuck in the chamber start to occur.
Ya gotta be careful. Ya need a good scale.
Pete
Old August 16, 2013, 12:15 PM   #14
mwmjones

What about the IMR, Reloaders or Ramshot powders?
Old August 16, 2013, 03:15 PM   #15
reynolds357

True blue is Ramshots best powder for the 5.7x28. You can use anything you can find data for.
Old August 16, 2013, 07:30 PM   #16
mwmjones

oh OK good to know

Thanks for all the great info
Old August 17, 2013, 07:46 AM   #17
darkgael

Data

I have seen factory data from only two manufacturers...Accurate and Ramshot.
Both data sheets include the note that this is an "extremely sensitive" cartridge to load. My own experience bears this out. Data is for Accurate #5 and #7, Ramshot True Blue.
You need a good scale.
Pete