The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 2, 2013, 11:12 PM   #1
RH

Is the 10/22 really worth it?

I really like the 10/22 takedown for its practicality and reliability, etc. Putting that model aside and comparing apples - blued steel, wood furniture, base models you can pick up in WalMart or anywhere else...is the 10/22 really worth 2x the price of its competitors - the Marlin 795 and Savage 64? I mean, I get the whole adaptability angle, availability of magazines and add-ons, etc. but is that worth so much more? I've seen arguments here about accuracy and relaibility, and people have made the case that the Savage and Marlin are near equals to the 10/22 in most practical measures for most shooters.

Can someone convince me that I should spend $300 on a 10/22 instead of $150 on either of the others?
Old January 2, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2
JustinBiscuit

I don't have any experience with Marlin 795 or Savage 64 however I love the 10/22. They are fun to shoot, easy to get parts and upgrades, and everyone sells mags.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Torch

Quote:
Can someone convince me that I should spend $300 on a 10/22 instead of $150 on either of the others?
To each his own. Get the gun you want.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4
mySig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
I really like the 10/22 takedown for its practicality and reliability, etc. Putting that model aside and comparing apples - blued steel, wood furniture, base models you can pick up in WalMart or anywhere else...is the 10/22 really worth 2x the price of its competitors - the Marlin 795 and Savage 64? I mean, I get the whole adaptability angle, availability of magazines and add-ons, etc. but is that worth so much more? I've seen arguments here about accuracy and relaibility, and people have made the case that the Savage and Marlin are near equals to the 10/22 in most practical measures for most shooters.

It depends on the model. The higher end ones are decent. I wanted a nice one with a heavy threaded barrel.

So...I decided I'm building one. It all depends on what you really want. I want higher quality than available from Ruger.

There's a lot of options...it's your choice
Old January 3, 2013, 12:21 AM   #5
idek

My first .22 was a Savage 64. It was a decent gun, but a little picky about ammo. The iron sights weren't particularly good. For scope mounting, it has an integral dovetail mount. It lacked any cross grooves or ridges, so scope rings would have a tendency to slide around over time.

I believe the Marlin 60 has the same type of scope mount, while the 10/22 comes with the more common weaver mount. The Marlin 60 has come in a few different variations, and the quality of the iron sights varied from model to model, but the sights on most Marlin 60s aren't anything special.

Overall, I like the iron sights and the scope mounting options on a 10/22 better than those of the 64 or 60. My 10/22 reliably shoots everything I put in it, and it even likes the dreaded Remington Golden Bullets. The 10/22 also feels more like a real gun than the lighter weight Savage 64. The synthetic stock Marlin 60s also feel like toys to me. The wood stock 60s seem better.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:23 AM   #6
Bamashooter

My experience is you get what you pay for. I have several .22lr rifles in varying price ranges. The 10/22 is a solid rifle. Others arent so solid. Get the one you want.. Its your money.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:21 AM   #7
jmr40

Quote:

I have worn out 2 of the cheaper guns, never been able to do that with a Ruger.

The base model Rugers are much closer to $200 around here. A breakdown TD model in SS is closer to $300. You don't have to spend $300 on a 10-22 unless you just want to. You can upgrade parts, which I do, but once again you don't have to. You don't have the option on the cheaper guns

Long term , $150 isn't that much. I've spent over $150 on target grade 22 ammo just this week. It will be shot up before summer. Once you shoot up the savings in ammo, you will have to spend many years knowing that for just a little more money, you could have had a better gun.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:09 AM   #8
L_Killkenny

Ya, base model 10/22 carbines are no where near $300. Never seen one over $200 myself. As for worth it over the competition? Every dang pennies worth.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:13 AM   #9
stubbicatt

I bought mine several years ago when they were cheap, comparatively. It is utterly reliable, pleasant to shoot, and I really like mine. Kids like to load up the "hotlips" banana clip type magazine and rip through 25 rounds lickety split like that.

I like to plink at cans and whatnot with it.

It's a fine rifle, but the question of value is something that each individual has to decide for himself I think.

Good luck in your search.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:03 AM   #10
MikeGunz

I'm not a fan of the take down model. My buddy has one and some times it can be a real pain in the ass to take apart. Also it limits the after market accessories you can put on it. Lastly the 10/22 carbine is a pretty small gun, I can take mine throw it in my pack and it only sticks out a couple inches.

That being said, I love my 10/22, very reliable, so many after market parts, and small and light weight. I have probably ~10-15k rds through it and it stills runs great. I paid $250 for it because it had a real tree camo stock, but you can find them below $200. You wont be disappointed with a 10/22, good cheap fun.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:17 AM   #11
anothernewb

I had the 10/22 carbine (base model) a mossberg and a rem 597 side by side at one time

I will say that the mossberg was more accurate out of the box. sub inch groups when I found the ammo it liked best.

the composite stocked 597 was also a very nice gun, but felt "cheaper" compared to the other 2, having about the same accuracy as the 10/22 out of the box.

service wise - the 10/22 was the clear winner hands down. it feeds more brands of ammo, more reliably, with a more consistent level of accuracy than any other 22 I own besides my buckmark pistol (which is on even par)

If use and preference can be an indication of which is the best one, the 10/22 was the hands down winner (for me) there as well. I found I always grabbed it first.

Are the other 22 autoloaders available bad guns? certainly not, not by any means. But after thousands of rounds the 10/22 (for me) emerged as the most consistent and trouble free of the bunch. My friend now has the 597 (which he loves completely - to the point of constantly ragging me about my ruger) and my sister has the mossberg (which still excels at taking out gophers - and is entirely jam proof - as long as you feed it winchester super x hollow points)

Now - I did modify my 10/22 with a replacement (factory style taper, not a bull) barrel and a trigger job. and the walnut sporter stock (I'm a sucker for blued steel and wood - what can I say) After those modifications - it's a ragged hole 50 yard shooter and a sub inch grouper at 75 yds off a rest using several brands of commonly available bulk pack ammo.

Bottom line - Is it worth the premium over the other brands? IMO Every penny.

I think it's the most commonly sold 22 out there IIRC, but then again - it also has a fantastic marketing campaign too, and there's seemingly one in every gun store you walk into, so it's availability may have something to do with that.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:26 AM   #12
jason_iowa

I built one up and sold it off. I prefer bolt actions. Nothing wrong with em just not my cup of tea. I did see a Ruger international 10/22 at a gun show last month that was very nice looking but like $320 something. So some of them do get up there in price.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:49 AM   #13
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I have a few of these and have never spent even close to $300 on any of them. In my mind there are very few .22s that are worth $300+ (mostly competition guns) and the basic 10/22 is not one of them.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:51 PM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
I did see a Ruger international 10/22 at a gun show last month that was very nice looking but like $320 something. So some of them do get up there in price.
Yep, I just paid $309.00 for a TALO-inspired International. And no buyer's remorse here. Well, a little-not long after buying the one I got, the even more local gun shop got some in (they didn't have any when I was "in the market" for one) and were asking $289.00 for the very same rifle. Bummer, but I've gotten past it.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:55 PM   #15
PatientWolf

"Is the 10/22 really worth it?"

Yes.

Last edited by PatientWolf; January 4, 2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:07 PM   #16
flyinpolack

I have a takedown, great little gun!
I've always felt that Ruger had a great price for the 10/22.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:08 PM   #17
tgreening

Base models at my favorit-ish LGS were $199, and the take down model was $239. Hard to say the pricing when they come back to the shelves since they disappeared along with all the EBRs during the frenzy.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:18 PM   #18
smoakingun

Find an Appleseed event near you and just visit the event on the second day. You will likely get to see 1/2 a dozen different rifles in action. At the end of the day, after 400 to 500 rounds, you'll see that the 10/22 keep running in spite of dirt, mud, rain, or crap bulk ammo.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:22 PM   #19
mySig229

Just bought a standard 10/22 with irons and black synthetic stock for $175 out the door
Old January 3, 2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I have Ruger's 10/22 Mannlicher and two Marlin 795s. Side by side comparison I can tell the quality of materials and fit/finish favors Ruger, hands down. I do like the 795. I bought two of them to take my nephew to Appleseed. Of all the participants there, we were the only ones with Marlin 795s and most everyone else had Rugers. By the time, the weekend was over, I knew why. Both of the Marlins had some feeding issues off the bat. There's some polishing work to be performed in order to get them to function reliably. Also, it's much easier to change mags on the Ruger than the Marlin for the purpose of Appleseed.

That said, I do like the 795. If you're on a tight budget, I'd recommend a $795. If not, it's worth footing the bill for a 10/22.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 3, 2013, 11:19 PM   #21
Single Six

I don't need, or even really want, a .22 rifle. On the other hand, if I were to suddenly need/want one, it would be a 10/22. The reputation, the fact that it's a Ruger; those would be enough for me. Wal Mart sells the stainless, synthetic stocked version for $247.00.....almost makes me wish I DID want one.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:37 AM   #22
Metal god

This is my $325 10/22

If you like the classic look then get one of the others but I love my 10/22 .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 4, 2013, 07:46 AM   #23
Logs

I am buying a 10/22 take down today and I think they are worth the money. All kinds of accessories are available, they run like a champ, and cheap to shoot.

I had a Marlin 60 that I bought for $100. I didn't like loading the tube and I couldn't get the stock to fit me. Yes it shot fine, but I didn't like it so I bought a Ruger. Now I am going to buy my second one.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:59 AM   #24
mongoslow

i have the black and stainless model and my 2 boys and my wife shoot that thing all the time, well worth the $250 i gave for it
Old January 4, 2013, 09:22 PM   #25
WyMark

I just paid $185 for a basic used carbine. I know I probably paid too much but I've been looking for a great deal for a couple years now, so the day after Newtown I happened to find one and snapped it up. I looked up the SN and it was made in 97 I think.

This thing was all stock, bare bones and very dirty. I installed an auto bolt release and recoil buffer, and am waiting on a mag release. When I picked it up I also grabbed a 25 round Ruger mag and have been kicking myself ever since that I didn't get 2 or 3 of them, there are none to be found anywhere near here right now.

I have a decent scope installed and am waiting for a break in the weather to coincide with a break in my schedule so I can shoot it some more. So far I've put a few hundred through it without any issues.