The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 10, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Cool Breeze

Savage extractors

Hello,
I have a new savage model 11 (trophy xp hunter). It is a left hand bolt in a 308................I like it but:

I've had extraction issues on 2 copies of the same model now. the 1st one would chamber fine.....however when ejecting a spent round it dropped the case in the receiver to jam the next round (unless I turned the rifle upside down before chambering the next one).

so I swapped it for another (through gallery of guns). The 2nd copy started doing the same thing after dry firing it over those A-zoom snap caps......

so no more snap caps and I got another extractor from midwayusa and it works great again but for how long?

Anyone ever deal with this sort of thing.

thanks for any info and best regards......I've been through a few push feed bolts in my day but never a savage and never an issue until now

what the heck?..........waaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!

I can hardly wait to deal with customer service (not!)
Old July 11, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Savage customer service is good. The only complaint I've ever heard is the familiar one about a delay when something isn't in stock and you have to wait until the next time they run that part. The main advantage to dealing with factory service in general is that whatever problem you have is one they will have seen before. Try talking to them to see if they have any immediate advice.

Often the symptom you report is not exclusively the fault of the extractor. It happens because the ejector is not protruding far enough to keep pressure on the case head until the case mouth clears the chamber. Whether that's due to the ejector being too short or the extractor claw having too big an opening, you'll have to diagnose. Since changing the claw seems to have helped, at least until burrs wear off, it sounds like the ejector may be marginal on length and an extra hundredth of an inch might work wonders. When either condition applies, the case can just fall off the bolt face when the ejector pressure ceases to be present.

My Steyr Scout does the same thing. In discussing fixing it with a couple of friends, a debate arose about whether that was really a bad feature or not? For one thing, the rifle can be made to eject just by opening the bolt rapidly. That's how Jeff Cooper taught working a bolt to get a rapid follow-up shot, and when bolt guns were standard for service rifle matches, rapid fire bolt work in dry fire was a standard exercise. It's a good excuse to get involved in vintage military rifle matches just to encourage you to practice. Many modern shooters aren't even aware of that skill, much less are they able to do it. The advantages of that loose grip on the case are that it doesn't throw the cases very far when it does eject, and if I am working up a load in the same case at the range or am merely trying to avoid dinging the mouths of some carefully prepared cases, letting them fall into the action for retrieval or careful dumping is actually a plus.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 11, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
hooligan1

You know UncleNick, you're on to something, when I shot those three rounds atr my ten pointer, I shot, ejected and shot, and ejected and shot, the cycle so fast my oldest son thought it was someone with an automatic,(I've had lots of practice), but my point is that those ejected cases must of flown out of the county cause we could'nt find hide nor hair of them.
Old July 25, 2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Cool Breeze

Thanks.....I'll give savage a call......but leaving a spent case in the receiver just don't seem copesthetic........puts a serious damper on my routine......

that's not right. I'd rather it just worked like any other push feed bolt right out of the box. That can't be too much to ask. I think it just needs a more dependable extractor assembly........but what do I know?