The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 2, 2013, 11:17 PM   #26
radom

I use a old Rem 1901 for coydoggies and deer at times and never have felt handicaped as its a single shot due to almost never needing a second shot. My BIL used to laugh at the thing till he rolled up a running doggie at almost 300yds with it. A very fine round but at its best its a reloaders round.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:52 PM   #27
tahoe2

7x57 is good

Definitely a good choice for the smaller in stature, a hand-loaders dream (lots of good bullet choices), no need to "Hot Rod" it due to great BC and SD of .284 bullets.
Light recoil makes it easy to shoot well. I have one for my 15 year old.
A company called Zastava Arms makes a modern line of mauser design rifles in 7mm mauser but I do not know who imports them.
Old May 3, 2013, 08:43 AM   #28
garryc

Quote:
A company called Zastava Arms makes a modern line of mauser design rifles in 7mm mauser but I do not know who imports them.
I'm seeing that Century Arms imports those. They do not list a 7x57 in their catalog. Being nearly identical in every way the 7mm-08 has killed the 7x57. If I was a manufacturer would I even bother making 7x57's, probably not.

Last edited by garryc; May 3, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:01 AM   #29
Scorch

Quote:
In reality the 7X57 never caught on. No significant army ever used it and it's very hard to find ammo for it anywhere.
7X57 is still a major player in Europe and many other parts of the world, just not so much here in the USA where the 30-06 overshadows everything else. If you really have a hankering for a 7X57, you can buy a very fine rifle in that caliber from one of the European makers if you don't mind mortgaging your home for it.

Many of the South American armies used 7X57 for rifles and machine guns, and to dismiss them as not being "significant" is a disservice, as they fought one of the bloodiest and longest lasting wars on the planet. It was also used by the Boers (or Free Orange Republic), who managed to give the British a major headache for several years. The Spanish used 7X57 to fight their Civil War, and they were significant enough to attract the attention and respect of Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler, and FDR.

As for being hard to find ammo for it, all of the major manufacturers load it, you just have to go to a real gun store to find it.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:15 AM   #30
Savage99

The 7-57 is ok as I said. It's a rifle cartridge at least and that has to be good.

However it's a looser in wars and really not best for anything!

It would be ok for medium game at medium and short ranges. That's about all it's adequate for.

I could have used the little 7-57 for woods hunting but it's not best for anything.

Now at longer ranges the little 7-57 does not even have the range or power that the 270 has! I have one only because I wanted a Brno 21h.

Also the defunct 7-57 does not fit actions. It's too long for a short action and too short for a long action. That's another reason why nobody bothers with it.

Nobody uses it for target competition either.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:24 AM   #31
garryc

Well, If I had an elk at 250 yards and a 7x57 loaded with 160 grain partitions I don't think I'd hesitate in taking it. But you can't expect it to be a 280 or a 7mm mag. That can be said in every argument, you can't expect a 30-06 to be a 300mag.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:27 AM   #32
TX Hunter

I am glad the OP chose the 7x57 Mauser. Its a classic Rifle Cartridge and I want it to stay around. I have seen Amunition for them at Academy Sports, Gander Mountain, and Cabelas.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:48 AM   #33
Kleab

Yeah, this is mostly just to have fun with. The Sportsman's Warehouse around the corner regularly carries factory ammo in 7x57, also it's not too find a box of Prvi for $15 online. Initially I'll be using factory loads, but I'll without a doubt be reloading down the road.
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old May 3, 2013, 11:57 AM   #34
Kleab

Quote:
I can't believe I completely forgot to look at Zastava. I was really interested in one of their rifles chambered in .243 a while back, but ended up going with the CZ 550 FS instead. I'll be sure to look that direction.
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
Old May 3, 2013, 01:00 PM   #35
SaxonPig

IMO the 7x57 is one of the best cartridges ever designed. With heavier bullets it has a tremendous ballistic coefficient which makes it flat shooting at long range. It will do pretty much anything you need to do but with less recoil. Not the best choice if you must rely on factory ammo.

I am sure some gun makers offer the 7x57 in current bolt guns. The CZ 550 FS used to be made in 7x57 but it was dropped about 6 years ago so it must not have been a good seller. Might find a used one.

I prefer old school thinking on my bolt guns.

Don't dismiss the #1 so quickly. Very handy and one of the most beautiful rifles made, IMO.

Old May 3, 2013, 03:22 PM   #36
Kleab

Beautiful collection there! Thanks for the pics. I haven't completely ruled out the #1. It is definitely an attractive gun. I think my mind keeps going back to what if I had to take a follow-up shot, ha ha. Plus, I'm already partial to CZs, so that definitely influences my thoughts as well.
Old May 4, 2013, 01:35 AM   #37
tahoe2

Saxon always makes me Green with Envy!

Kleab go to zastavaarms.rs
Old May 4, 2013, 09:36 AM   #38
SaxonPig

People talk about "fast follow up shots" but in my experience if you miss with the first shot you don't get a second chance with deer or elk. They are GONE!

Besides, you get an elastic ammo cuff for the weak hand wrist that holds 3 rounds. It's amazing what a little practice will do in learning how to pluck a fresh round from the cuff carrier and pop it into the chamber.
Old May 4, 2013, 01:38 PM   #39
reynolds357

I agree Saxon. Usually the people who are worried about follow up shots are the ones who quite regularly miss with their first shot.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:41 PM   #40
Kleab

Quote:
Usually the people who are worried about follow up shots are the ones who quite regularly miss with their first shot.
Ha ha, now I feel sheepish

Another problem is the only Ruger #1 currently made in this caliber is the International, which is rather pricey - although, I do find full stocks really attractive...
Old May 4, 2013, 10:53 PM   #41
garryc

Yeah, some of those stocks are pretty. But then again wood stocks are inferior in every way to synthetic except eye appeal. That of, course provides, that the synthetic is not some super cheap garbage.
Old May 5, 2013, 01:34 AM   #42
HiBC

The 7x57 worked pretty darn well for Eleanor O'Connor,Jack's wife.Locate and read"The Hunting Rifle" by Jack O'Connor.

It is an excellent hunting cartridge.US factory must be loaded with consideration for pre-98 Mausers.

If you are using a 98 Mauser or modern rifle,it can be loaded to quite respectable levels.160 to 140 gr projectiles from 2600 to 2800 fps is a ballpark range of handload performance,as I recall.IMO,it will do all a good hunter needs in N.America.

One thing to consider.Depending on the statures of yourself and your wife,it may be a problem to have one rifle fit both of you.
Most rifles get made to fit average man,which means an ill fit for average woman.
An ill fitting rifle rates with ill fitting boots.

If you are truly wanting this rifle to be a rifle your wife will enjoy,you might need a compact or youth model,or shorten the stock,add a pad,etc..And get a quality scope with good eye relief,and set the scope up for her.

Now,that may be easier to do if you can compromise on the cartridge as the modern rifles will likely be 7-08 or .260.

IMO,for yourself,go on a search of gunshops,pawnshops,gunshows,ask gunsmith/gunshop owners..

A lot of guys spent $1500 or $2000 having a gunsmith convert a 98 Mauser to a fine,elegant walnut and blue steel classic rifle that might bring $400 or $500 now.Its still a fine rifle,with a certain something a modern factory rifle may lack.Do not worry that you will blow up a 98 Mauser.They are plenty strong

Last edited by HiBC; May 5, 2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:25 AM   #43
garryc

The OP could get a Savage donor rifle and barrel to 7x57 then drop it in a Hogue stock.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:06 PM   #44
SaxonPig

Any quality rifle will be pricey, these days.

You can always build one, but that won't be cheaper.

Years ago I used a military 98 action and built a practical hunting rifle in 7x57 with a fiberglass stock. A friend talked me out of it some time back. He must be wiser than me because he still has it.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:51 PM   #45
Savage99

Saxon,

Your 21H is perfect.

To add that my 21h has the 20.5" factory barrel and I had to put a Leu. 3-9 Compact on it to still use the low factory mount.

Last edited by Savage99; May 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:19 PM   #46
Major Dave (retired)

My first 7X57 was ...

a sporterized Mauser Model 93. Because it is a weak action (only 2 locking lugs, early era metallurgy), I could shoot only factory ammo.

Luckily, in those days, Norma sold a 150 grain load, with a MV of 2750 fps, so I was able to kill a raghorn bull elk with it.

In 1996, I found a one-of-a-kind bolt action 7X57 which was custom made by DuBiel Arms company. It was on about Table #995 at a 1,000 table gun show in Dallas, TX, when I found it.

It is also a "lefty", which is exactly what I needed. I wonder what the odds were of finding a left-handed bolt action 7X57? I should have bought a Lotto ticket that day.

As for "hot rodding" the 7X57, I plead guilty. I achieve MVs of 2,950 fps, using IMR 4320.That's chronographed velocity, not "book data".

I decided to go for that load after reading Jack O'Connor (Outdoor Life magazine Shooting Editor) experiences, in that he told of loading the 7X57 to 2,900 fps for his wife, Eleanor to use on African safari, with great results.He concluded, "...there are no flies on the 7X57...".

Another author from the 1950's/60's also related 7X57 loads in excess of 2,900 fps using Norma powders (M203? M204?).

In any case, considering that the 7-08 factory loads reach 2,850 fps MV, and the case is 6 mm shorter than the 7X57 case, it just makes sense that the extra space in the 7X57 case can be utilized to boost the MV beyond what is achieved in the 7-08 case.

One skeptic in this thread stated that the 7X57 was a loser in warfare. In response to that statement, I would like to cite the reaction of Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders at San Juan Hill, Cuba, when they faced the Spanish Army armed with Model 93 Mauser rifles chambered in 7X57. Teddy was very impressed with the flat trajectory of the 7X57, and the penetrating power of the 173 grain bullets the Spanish were using. The 7X57 did not lose that war - the Spanish did.

Teddy went back home and pressed the War Dept to modernize the U.S. infantry rifle. The result was the creation of the 30-06 cartridge and the Model 1903 Springfield rifle.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:07 AM   #47
tahoe2

Well Said ! Major Dave !
Old May 7, 2013, 12:09 PM   #48
Kleab

If I were to build a rifle in 7x57, would I need a short action or a long action? According to a previous post, the cartridge isn't ideal for either action, although I think I sensed a little bias from the poster
Old May 7, 2013, 01:56 PM   #49
Major Dave (retired)

Long action, because...

short actions are for 51mm length cases (308, 7-08, ..260 Rem, and 243 Win)

The 7X57 case is 57mm long (same as 6mm Rem, .257 Roberts)

The long action is designed for 30-06 length cases (.270 Win, .280 Rem, .300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, and others. Even though the 7X57 is shorter than the 30-06 and others listed, it still needs a long action. But we aren't talking more than 3/4 inch difference between "short" and "long", here. I think too much is made about the differences in length of throw, and 3 or 4 ounces difference in weight, and how much stiffer the short action is (supposedly making a "shortie" more accurate). Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

Other characteristics of 7X57 include : Long throat, and fast twist rate rifling. Both features were incorporated in the original (1892/93) military design rifle to facilitate the use of the long, for caliber, 173 grain round nose bullets.

The length of the bullet protruding from the case mouth required the throat to be longer than other calibers. The fast rifling twist rate was needed to stabilize the long 173 grain projectile in flight, as it would tumble if fired through slow twist barrels.

With the current trend in 7X57 using mostly 139/140 grain bullets, neither of these "long bullet" features are needed, yet most 7X57 rifles still have them. And, of course, factory loads are still available for 175 grain round nose bullets. To shoot them, you still need the long throat and fast twist rifling.

As a result, my 7X57 rifle has a full 1/4 inch (0.25 inch) throat length, which my 140 grain bullets must jump to come in contact with the rifling leade. Because of this, I pay particular attention to concentricity of my hand loads. I won't hunt with reloads that exceed .003 inch runout. My end result is 1.25 MOA accuracy. Not a benchrest competition rifle, at all, but good enough for "minute of deer".

All in all, the 7X57 is an interesting project. I did have a copy of the book written by "Karamojo" W.M.D Bell, the elephant hunter, but I recently donated it to the local library, so others could enjoy it.

I went to a hunting camp several years ago, and the topic of "What are you shooting?" came up. As many answered "30-30", "30-06", etc, then it came around to me and I said, "Elephant gun - 7X57" They all got a laugh out of that.

But I had the last laugh!

You will too. Find your elephant gun and ENJOY.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); May 7, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:50 PM   #50
dumbodave

Bought myself a K98 Brazillian Mauser in 7x57 last year. This one is nearly mint and has been drilled and tapped for scope mounting. I've been developing loads for it seeing how high i can go. Been using BL(C)-2 - I built her up to 2840 on my Chrony. Now I get to start to play with seating dept trying to find the sweet spot. All is fun and games.....