The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 19, 1999, 09:32 AM   #1
Jim V

George and Company: Are there any tips or url's that give tips on tuning magazines? There has been some discussion else where on adjusting magazine lips to get them to feed correctly but no real information.
Old October 19, 1999, 05:42 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There may be sites, but the real reason there is so little info is that it is a trial and error business where experience is the best teacher. What works for one magazine may not work for another. On many magazines it also depends on the ammunition used; a .45 auto mag that works fine with one ammo type may not work with another.

Another problem is that may modern magazine makers, especially with Colt M1911/A1 clones, do not temper their magazine lips and things get out of whack quickly and can't really be fixed, since any fix won't hold either.

I know this is not much of an answer, but I am willing to listen to anyone with hard and fast rules that work.

Jim
Old October 19, 1999, 07:34 PM   #3
Wallew

A double faced rubber/nylon hammer and a lot of patience. Jim
Old October 19, 1999, 11:52 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

There are no rules. It is trial and error unless you have a lip forming tool from Brownells. You aren't likely to pay for something like that if you are only doing a few 1911 mags. It's much more cost effective to just take them to a smith and let him do it. I only charge $5 and I really can't see anyone charging more than that. George
Old October 20, 1999, 10:48 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, George,

You are correct, but I have seen too many mags that have lips almost as soft as the more kissable kind. You get the mag working and two (or less) fillups later, same old problem. The first step to fixing mag problems is not to have them in the first place. I may be extreme, but I use nothing for the .45 but WWII GI magazines, and use ammo that works in them, rather than adjusting the mag to the ammo.

Jim