The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 7, 2012, 11:26 PM   #51
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
They didn't do anything the last four years and aren't going to do anything the next four years
Not necessarily....

I believe there were a number of things they would have liked to do (or try to do) but refrained, fearing it would cost them reelection. They don't have to worry about that now...

I'd say look for them to trot out every one of their pet schemes, and try to get it implemented, by hook or by crook. Congress has to worry about the next election, but the current administration no longer does...
Old November 8, 2012, 10:35 AM   #52
pgdion

^- Yep, I'm with 44 AMP on this one. I'm just not sure which of their pet projects are going to get the focus but I think one was already eluded too. I did hear assault weapons mentioned already. Kind of thought that would have been enough to derail the campaign, kind of surprised it gathered no traction.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:00 PM   #53
Malamute

I usually have a box or two at least for whatever I may have with me, which includes a rifle at all times, and the spare loads often end up staying in the truck, unless its something I rarely have along. Not really planning for an alien invasion or screaming hoards of Canadians coming across the border (not YET anyway!), but just like having some spares with me. I also usually have a sleeping bag, and other camp gear in there, so staying out a few days wouldn't be a real problem if I wanted to. Biggest thing I'm concerned about other than choosing to stay out in the hills, is if a quake hit and I was in town or in the hills, the bridges could be out, and I'd like to be comfortable until I could get home.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old November 9, 2012, 12:13 PM   #54
Don P

I have to agree with post #4, 44 AMP
Here a recent email from Mas,
Quote:
WELL, THAT DIDN’T TAKE LONG, DID IT?
Posted: 08 Nov 2012 07:08 AM PST
Our newly re-elected President told Sarah Brady and company that he was working “under the radar” for more “gun control.” We reported it here. He told the Russians that he’d have “more flexibility” after he was re-elected. We told you that here.
About 12 hours after he was declared the victor in the Presidential race, it was announced that his administration was calling for NATO to reconsider the onerous international small arms treaty that would have profoundly chilling effects on the rights of American gun owners. My friend Dave Workman, a tireless activist for gun owners’ civil rights, explains it all here: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-...id=db_articles .
Simultaneously, Dianne Feinstein is apparently introducing a new semi-automatic firearms ban, one which is vastly farther-reaching and more draconian than the one Bill Clinton ramrodded through and forced us to live with for a decade. This one will have no sunset clause. You won’t be able to sell the guns you own which “fit the (ridiculous) profile” of what will be forbidden…which very likely means you won’t be able to bequeath those guns to your children. Check it out here: http://www.examiner.com/article/fein...bama-reelected
Carolyn McCarthy, a vehement single issue anti-gunner, doesn’t just encourage President Obama to use executive orders to curtail your rights to own firearms: she publicly states that she thinks he’ll actually do it, according to HuffPost, here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1699641.html
Hey, all you Obama apologists who wrote into this blog over the last few months saying that he didn’t want to interfere with your gun ownership rights…what do you think NOW?
One of our regular blog commentators said recently that he wished I’d get off politics and back to talking about guns. I hear ya, Doc, but the thing of it is…there ain’t much more important “about guns” than the right to acquire, own, and keep them.
Share or Bookmark
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:01 AM   #55
Rifleman1952

If I know bad winter weather is coming and I have to be on the road, I'm going to throw a sleeping bag, extra clothing, flash light, food and water in the trunk. The handgun I would bring with me would be my XDM 9mm that holds 19+1 rounds, plus two additional 19 round magazines. That's a total of 58 rounds. Realistically, I can't think of a likely crisis scenario where that wouldn't be more than enough. I feel sorry for the folks along the east coast who are hunkered down in their homes with no firearms and looters roaming their neighborhoods. But the right of self-defense is the main reason I choose to live in a state which respects the Second Amendment.
Old November 10, 2012, 01:20 AM   #56
2cooltoolz

I carry a couple extra mags on road trips. Otherwise, just what's in the pistol.
Old November 10, 2012, 01:52 AM   #57
JohnKSa
Staff

I don't like to buy when prices are high. I like to buy when prices are low.

I don't like to buy when it's hard to find what I want. I like to buy when it's easy to find what I want.

So I don't buy ammo in the middle of ammo panics. I buy my ammo when I find really good deals and I tend to buy a lot of it at a time to save money and to minimize hassle.

I always keep a stock on hand so that when prices temporarily spike and shortages make it hard to find ammo, I don't have to worry about searching for ammo or paying more than it's really worth.

It all makes perfect sense to me, but apparently others think differently.
Quote:
Not necessarily....

I believe there were a number of things they would have liked to do (or try to do) but refrained, fearing it would cost them reelection. They don't have to worry about that now...

I'd say look for them to trot out every one of their pet schemes, and try to get it implemented, by hook or by crook.
I think that's true.

HOWEVER...
Quote:
Congress has to worry about the next election...
...and that's going to be a very important factor.

Bottom line is that while things are not ideal, they're really not hugely different than they were last week.

I'd say the chances of a problem have increased, but only a little. For practical purposes, Congress is the same formidable obstacle it was last week as far as anti-gun legislation is concerned.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:30 AM   #58
Patrice

Old November 26, 2012, 08:07 PM   #59
Misssissippi Dave

I don't leave guns, ammo or money in my vehicles. There is no need to leave anything of value in them to enrich crooks or give them an advantage they didn't have. When I leave my place, my gun and any ammo I take stays with me. If everyone in the world was a law abiding honest person, things would be different.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:29 PM   #60
9mm

Yes I do. Never know what can happen. It's also good if I want to stop by the range when I am out. Theres nothing illegal about leaving ammo in your car here.
Quote:
The bridge is out,the road is flooded, the riot is between you and home, etc., what ever the reason, you might (possibly) be forced to spend some time with just what's on your person, and in your vehicle.
That happen to me, I was stuck in traffic for 4 hours once..... Then the car could over heat, break down then get towed to the bad side of town.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:24 PM   #61
ripnbst

The only way I could see needing something like this is if you managed to fight your way out but your wife/child was still inside and you needed to go back in.

You are able to protect "you and yours".
Old November 26, 2012, 09:33 PM   #62
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
Why do you need all of this unless you are going around looking for trouble
The concept of "need" is irrelevant to one's liberty to do it.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 26, 2012, 10:13 PM   #63
Koda94

I carry 3 mags, 2 on my person (1 in the gun), 1 in the car or [travel]pack. My theory is 1 to defend yourself, 1 to retreat, and the third to get you home.

I can see how a small extra supply of ammo in the car could be useful in the context of getting oneself home, there is usually a few places in most vehicles to stash a small box, it wouldn't be a big deal. Road trips and inclement weather seem reasonable. Seems logical to consider help or police may not be always available after an incident.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:04 AM   #64
Loronzo

Nope, the only time I have more than what is in my pistol on me is when I'm visiting family out in the country (I'll take a dual mag holder) or going to/from the range. The only valuables I keep in my car are 1 MRE, 1 gallon jug of water, and an old torn but very warm coat... oh, and a can of Old Spice. You would be suprised how easily someone can break into a car, get your valuables, and be gone. I did one time modify a Laptop case for my Keltec Sub2K for a trunk SHTF gun but decided that would be a dumb way to lose it, still a nice conversation piece for the range. I just couldn't let ammuniton go, much less if it had my prints on it, to a criminal at that... to each their own though, if it makes you feel more secure by all means do what you feel the need to. I would highly suggest not advertising it to anyone that you have it there though and finding a nifty way to hide it or make it unatractive to a thief. (Oil filter box, etc.)
Old November 27, 2012, 05:38 AM   #65
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
I can see how a small extra supply of ammo in the car could be useful in the context of getting oneself home,....
In Iraq?