The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 15, 2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

who is your favorite shop... to re-blue... re-nickel ???

got a couple ( actually several ) old guns both original & some custom guns, the deserve some 1st rate finish / re-finish work... some like a custom Remington Rolling block rifle, I'm looking for a high polish blueing, that matches the reciever, on the new barrel & pins... some like a "chopped" 38S&W top break spur trigger, 1/2 the nickel is missing ( the reason this was subjected to a barrel chopping in the 1st place ), & I'd like to either have it re-nickeled in bright nickel, or possibly blued ( I don't think there are any major pits in this gun... just brown pantina where the nickel is missing )... some guns are more "pitted" & a bead blasted nickel or blueing would be more fitting... I've found a couple shops that can do the bead blasted nickel & blueing, but am looking for suggestions for a shop you guys have used with good results for shiney blueing or nickel jobs... but would still gladly take recomendations for bead blast finish shops you've used & had good luck with...

who would be the "best" to send to for both a re-blue, & or a re-nickel job...

I understand "best" is a tough word to quantify, so here is my definition...

someone who's turn around time means the gun won't be out of my possesion for the better part of a year...

someone who will do the proper disassembly, & proper cleaning / polishing, & reassembly of the gun... for a quality total job

someone who does decient work, but doesn't charge an arm & a leg ( I'd be prepared to give up an arm for some of these jobs... just not an arm & a leg ) these are "medium" priced guns, & of course, not to worry... I'm not trying to re-finish anything that would damage it's value by re-finishing it...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 15, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old April 16, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

hmmm... no one has had any luck refinishing guns... or no one wants to give up the name of their good shop ???
Old April 16, 2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Buzzcook

I've heard Fords being recommended.
http://www.fordsguns.com/

You do know that refinishing a gun may lower its collector value by quite a bit.
Old April 16, 2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks... for the reply...

Quote:
You do know that refinishing a gun may lower its collector value by quite a bit.
yup... I know... these are guns that have already been customized ( in the case of the Rolling block rifle ), or fairly common shooting grade revolvers, whose mechanics are very good, but whose finish is so ugly, they don't have a whole lot of collector value, & I'd just like those prettier when I'm shooting them