The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Crestliner

Lee Loader

I previously posted a thread here with regards to resurrecting my old Herter's dual C press for reloading .357's. I still intend to do that. However, pistol dies usually come in a 3 piece set. Two of which will fit into my Herter's press. No problem so far. Digging around in the attick, I found my very first reloading tool. An old Lee Loader; a nut cracker type of design which I first used to reload .244's back in the '60's. It still has a primer seating die in it for the .244. The die that's in there is considerable smaller in thread diameter than a normal die. What I was thinking (I'm always thinking...which usually ends up with me spending more money!) was if I could get a die adaptor for this tool, I'd have the 3 stations set up for my new .357 dies. Actually, the rim groove and plunger could possibly seat a primer in a .357 case, but it is a little loose. Am I hallucinating again or is any of this a realistic endeavor?
Old April 1, 2008, 06:01 PM   #2
freakshow10mm

Not worth it.
Old April 2, 2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Leeman

Mistaken Identity

The tool you describe is not a Lee Loader. It is a Lyman tool that in much older than the Lee Loader. I believe Lyman still sells them and adaptors for the dies. Check their website.
Old April 2, 2008, 08:58 AM   #4
freakshow10mm

He's probably got a 310 tool. Them are pricey and the dies are to boot. For that price, get a bench mounted press.
Old April 2, 2008, 10:10 AM   #5
Crestliner

Did some more looking at this nut cracker and thru the black paint/coating the name "IDEAL" is on the handle, along with, Middlefield, Conn, USA. I know it's been a long time, but I swear that when I bought it, it said Lee Loader on it - I could be wrong. I will check that Lyman site too. Thanks a bunch!
Old April 2, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Crestliner

WOW!

I stand corrected. It is a 310 Lyman "Ideal" reloading tool. And guess what? On a site called, "Gun Company Collectables" they are selling one for $95.00!!! I'm RICH!