The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 13, 2014, 08:11 PM   #1
HungryHunter

New trigger advice

Hi all,
I have two AR's (Sig m400, Windham) both are mil-spec I believe. I'm not a trigger guy for the most part, but I've been really noticing lately that the triggers in both are really substandard. They're both gritty, and not very crisp it seems like.

Anyway I have timney triggers in a few rifles, but I was wondering what are some suggestions for a superior AR trigger. I searched a little but was wondering what is good NOW, what's hot stuff and what to avoid. Money really isn't an issue on this one. I understand neither of them are really expensive rifles to begin with but I don't have the desire for a really expensive AR. I looked into Bill Wilson's, and Geissele's. Like I said money isn't an issue, but I love bargains too. In other words I only pay premium if something well outweighs it's competition. I'm not entirely sure I understand differences between the trigger stages in AR's.. obviously a two stage is preferable? Anyway, as always thanks for the help in advance, guys and gals.
Old October 13, 2014, 08:15 PM   #2
kutz

I have a Timney 3# in my Colt M4A1 SOCOM II and LOVE it
Old October 13, 2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Mobuck

I recommend the ALG/QMS triggers for functionality and smoothness. Not a light pull but a smooth pull/release.
Old October 14, 2014, 01:29 AM   #4
Ibmikey

What Mobuck says, the AGL is hard to beat for the money...I use the AGL ACT in many of my rifles...they run $45 ( QMS) to $65 (ACT).
Old October 14, 2014, 07:47 AM   #5
9x19

This info is from a 3-gun competitor who posts regularly on another board I frequent, but I think it's good info:

Quote:
The ALG is a lower cost trigger made by Geissele to meet the Mil-Spec 6# trigger weight of the US Army, but it has all the grittiness and creep removed. It is designed for people going overseas into combat so they can have the best trigger they are allowed to use. Many soldiers buy and install one of these before going to the Middle East.

All that being said they are not anywhere near the performance of a true Geissele custom trigger (or a Timney, Jard, CMC, JP, Hypertouch, etc.). The Geissele S3G is a 2.5# trigger designed for rapid fire in 3-gun competition, capable of firing off 30 rounds in about 5 seconds. The semi-auto equivalent of "hosing" a target (works out to about 450-500 RPM). most triggers would choke and freeze up if you tried to pull it that rapidly (the 15-22 PC RRA trigger is one that will freeze up if you try as I experienced myself).

Among the fastest setups and one that is not as expensive as a Geissele is the JP single stage AR trigger with the Speedhammer option and the low power spring set. Some 3-gunner use that setup, especially those that like the feel of a single stage trigger. Other triggers similar to the S3G are the Wilson Combat 3-gun and the AT AR-Gold (they cost even more than the S3G).

Main reason I use the Geissele Super 3-Gun is because I went to a gun show and got to try a number of different triggers that were setup at a particular venders booth (Precision Arms, now in WV). I liked the fast lockup and short reset (around 1/8 of an inch). That is where its speed comes from. The short reset means you only have to relax the trigger for about 1/8 of an inch for it to be ready to fire again.

Important for speed shooting but not for precision. Geissele makes some DMR and National Match competition triggers if you want that.
Old October 14, 2014, 03:40 PM   #6
HungryHunter

Thanks for the replies all. I'm looking into everything posted. Thanks again.
Old October 14, 2014, 07:38 PM   #7
suppressedisbest

Yes Geissele triggers are super nice. I've got the tactical SD (? Flat trigger ?). I love it.