The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you use the finger rest on the trigger bar for your weak hand's indicator finger?
Yes 8 25.00%
No 24 75.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15, 2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Para Bellum

weak hand indicator finger on trigger bar rest?

I wonder what you people out there think about the following:

I have small hands and I have the feeling that I control my Glock 19 better when I grab it with my weak hand's indicator finger on the little rest on the trigger bar. Some people told me not to do it. Nobody could say why not.

What's your opinion on that?
Old July 15, 2005, 05:03 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

support finger on trigger guard...

I used to shoot my glock 19 that way, until I took a recent CCW class. I asked the RCO about this. He recommended that I use the standard hand over hand and not use the trigger guard for support or recoil control.
He stated that in a slow motion film their sheriff dept took of deputies using the guard as a support, their fingers came off the guard every time, without them knowing it. Thus they had to recontact after every shot unknowingly.
I tried to observ myself shooting rapid fire, but focus on the front site is the predominate mode, so I only was able to think that I kept my finger on the guard.
Anyways, if I have to think about it, I'm way behind in the game, so I changed my hold. Took a bit of retraining, but now I automatically use the fingers wrapped around the hand. I feel this is also better because when changing to other firearms without the indent type guard, I am already in the right position and mode. thumbs stacked and fingers overlapped.
I would recommend getting away from that.
Old July 15, 2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Zak Smith

Does any USPSA/IPSC "GM" or "M" class shooter do that?
Old July 16, 2005, 10:16 AM   #4
SKN

Out of interest, do your shot groups tend to steer toward that finger? If yes, that finger placement can be the reason for it. Most folks have not been trained to properly use the finger forward technique (apply pressure straight back and down) and consequently the finger does come off the front of the trigger guard or they will pull the muzzle over to the forward finger side.
Old July 16, 2005, 11:32 AM   #5
steve154

This is exactly how I shoot and when drawing it is the grip that I automatically end up with. Several people have tried to get me to stop doing it and all have failed. It just feels natural to me, but is not right becasue the one problem I have with this grip is that my left hand is gripping my right hand so far up that my left middle finger interferes with my right trigger finger moving from out of the trigger guard to the trigger when I am pointing the weapon. That is a problem in stress situations when you might need to go from out of the trigger guard to the trigger as quickly as possible. I am trying to change my grip...it's hard to break such an ingrained habit.
Old July 16, 2005, 05:33 PM   #6
stevelyn

Nope. It's too easy to torque the pistol to the support hand side.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 16, 2005, 05:52 PM   #7
DT Guy

Another problem is that you're learning to shoot with a grip that won't work on a gun without a trigger guard hook.

I try to keep things simple enough to work on every gun I encounter.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old July 16, 2005, 09:31 PM   #8
Dog Confetti

I used to until taught better, but as stated above, it is too easy to torqe the pistol to the nonfiring side.
Old July 17, 2005, 06:39 AM   #9
Christopher II

Zak -

Angus Hobdell.

There are doubtless some old-school IPSC studs who keep their support finger on the trigger guard, too. Chuck Taylor?

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old July 17, 2005, 11:49 AM   #10
butch50

If you are training for Self Defense you should go with whatever grip you naturally use without thinking. In other words, however you hold the gun unconciously is how you should practice with it for SD - unless of course you naturally hold it in some really weird and bad way to start with, like finger over the muzzle or something .

In an adrenaline charged SD situation you don't want to have a mental checklist to run through on how to grip, you want it to come up natural and instinctive.

If you are training for something else besides Self Defense go with whatever gives you the best results.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry