The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2010, 06:20 PM   #1
hamr56

41 Remington Mag

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out. I have reloaded for my rifles for years, but now I want to start reloading for the 41 rem mag. The revolver is a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley with a 5 1/2 inch barrel purchased new over a year ago.

I was wondering what type of brass, powders and bullets would be the best to get me started?

Does anyone have a load they would be willing to share? (I understand to be careful with pressures)
Old February 10, 2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Sky Master

Years ago I reloaded for my friend S&W Model 57 and used WW brass, Unique powder and Hornady 210gr JHP bullets, that what he bought and he was happy with the results.
Old February 10, 2010, 10:14 PM   #3
mrawesome22

My Blackhawk is used solely as a deer hunting firearm and I use Starline brass, Win primers and H110 powder. That is a mighty powerful combination, however, so I wouldn't start off with it. A light bullet with a small charge of a fast burning powder will give the least recoil if that's what you're looking for.
Old February 10, 2010, 10:17 PM   #4
plainsman456

I use H-110 26.0grs with a 170gr sierra sportmaster bullet.I have shot some cast bullets once but I got tired of cleaning the lead out of the barrel.
So now I shoot jacketed bullets out of my blackhawk and my marlin in 41 mag.
Old February 11, 2010, 09:23 AM   #5
hamr56

Thanks for all the information. Good to know about the cast bullets as I would rather not got through that hassel. Any thoughts on reloading dies, I have mostly RCBS and Redding dies for my rifles?
Old February 11, 2010, 02:03 PM   #6
GeauxTide

The 41 is easy to load for and forgiving. Lyman or RCBS dies are excellent. I've used WW and REM brass, H-110, and CCI450 primers under 210Rem SP with excellent results. Also used Unique with 215 Lead.
Old February 11, 2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Snobal

hamr56 -

I found the .41 Mag to be as easy to find good loads for as .38 Special or .308 Win.

About anything you try is going to work well.

The only powder that I tried in .41 Mag that did not give consistent results was Blue Dot which went totally crazy if the temperatures were below freezing (truly wild shot-to-shot velocity variations).

I'm into accuracy far more than velocity and found that H-4227 powder and cast bullets at about 1,250 fps produced one-ragged-hole groups at 25 yards with the three .41 Mag handguns I've owned.

I put thousands of rounds of that load through a Mod 57 S&W. Worked nicely for target, jack rabbits, and deer.

JMHO - YRMV
Old February 11, 2010, 06:36 PM   #8
longranger

Quote:
I have shot some cast bullets once but I got tired of cleaning the lead out of the barrel.

Quote:
Good to know about the cast bullets as I would rather not got through that hassel.
Ignorance is bliss,cast lead bullets not lead up a barrel if you know what the #%$^ you are doing.Follow scripted loads with proper cast bullet they out perform jacketed bullets.2 different reloading criteria.Leading happens when you push a to hard of a bullet not fast enough or to soft of a bullet to fast.The bullet won't obturate in the bore and seal the gases.The gases "flame cut" along the side of the bullet leaving lead deposits in the barrel.I have never leaded a barrel with cast lead bullets.You are doing yourself a tremendous diservice with not using/shooting cast lead.$40.00 for a box of 100 jacketed bullets.I can buy 500 cast bullets for the same and they shoot better.Get a nice Keith designed cast bullet 215grs and 8 grs. of Unique.You will enjoy a very plaesant accurate load with no leading.
If you have a rough bore lead bullets will lead the bore.
DO NOT USE BLUE DOT IN THE .41 MAG. read the sticky on Blue Dot.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=303766
Old February 11, 2010, 06:42 PM   #9
dahermit

Have shot tons of home-cast lead bullets in my lifetime. Favorite is 6.5 Unique, WW large pistol primer, Rem Brass, and my own cast Saeco 220 grain plain base bullets. This is a fine plinking/target load.
Old February 11, 2010, 11:30 PM   #10
plainsman456

Hey longranger, I did use book loads for the cast bullets and no they were not high speed loads.As for the dies I use rcbs and hornaday.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:37 AM   #11
Sam06

41 Magnum is one of if not my favorite Revolver cartridge. It is very forgiving and super accurate with a wide range of Powder and bullet combination's.

Brass; I like starline the best. WW is a close second

Bullets; I like 215gr and 220gr Lead SWC the best. 220 Plated are good as are 210gr XTP's I don't shoot many jacketed bullets in my guns. Unlike the other poster I have no problems with leading in any of my 6 41 Magnum handguns.

Primers: Winchester Large pistol(WLP) primers. I use them for all my Large Pistols. With all powders and they work fine. If I had to use anything else it would be CCI's.

Powder: 2400 is my Favorite powder for magnum guns. Unique works good with lead bullets. AA#5 & 9 are nice and meter well. 4227 is a very good accurate powder. W296 and H110 are good for max loads. A lot of loader over look AA#5 for the 41. Its a really good powder and works great in the 44 Magnum and 45 ACP too.

I hope you become a 41 Magnum Fan like I am. It is truly a great cartridge.

Sam
Old February 12, 2010, 04:05 PM   #12
hamr56

Great information here guys. Sam, I think I will be a big fan from what I have read.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:32 PM   #13
Mike / Tx

One issue you might encounter with the Ruger and cast bullets is the cylinder bore being smaller than the actual barrel bore. When this is the case the cast bullet is swedged down prior to entering the barrel bore where it is now small and leading will occur from the bullet being flame cut by the powder gas. This is a simple and inexpensive fix for a competent gunsmith.

For jacketed bullet this isn't an issue at all, and most will shoot very accurately for you. There are many load combinations for cast bullets that you would enjoy shooting and as mentioned they can be very accurate. If you do not cast there are several places who sell factory cast that have shot very well from my Redhawk. Oregon Trail has been my most shot and they have been driven to top end velocities with no issues. Cast Performance also makes a hell of a bullet for this caliber which if your hunting large game like elk would be the best to go with, IMO. There are others but these I have used and know work and work well.

The powders recommended are all great, and like candy, most folks like one flavor or another. I shoot some of it all, but for the most part I shoot 296 since I use it in the rest of my revolvers. 20.5grs is a great load for a 200 or 210gr JHP, generally giving around 1250 - 1350 fps depending on bullet weight and barrel length. It is a very mild and accurate load.

One thing on using H-110 or 296, don't get overly caught up in trying to crimp the daylights out of the bullet. If your using these with jacketed bullets simply set your crimp to grab the bottom end of the cannalure just enough to hold the bullet firm. This will give you better accuracy overall. You might have to play with it a bit but with a cylinder full and shooting three shots, if the last three are not slipping you have enough. The case mouth doesn't need to look like it was swedged into the side of the bullet. Now if your loading heavy cast bullets, then you might need to step it up a bit due to the slickness of the lead.

Well good luck with yours, I have seen quite a few folks going to the 41 in the past few months. Maybe if we all get together we can get Remington to do a run of their 170gr SJHP's. They were one of the best bullets I ever shot from any of my 41's, but sadly they were discontinued.

Take care.
Old February 13, 2010, 08:23 AM   #14
caz223

I've shot .41 for years, and it's by far and away my favorite caliber.
I've had the best luck with 2400 and H110 for powders.
I like 210 XTP for bullets, and CCI 350 for primers.
Starline brass is good.
Old February 13, 2010, 11:54 AM   #15
RonC1

Where is your sense of adventure? Every reloading manual I have seen has a section for 41 Remington Magnum. The bullet selection is dismal compared to 357 or 44. If you don't have a manual, I suggest you get one.

Part of the fun of reloading is working up the loads. Get a manual and take your pick of loads. Test them.

I am trying to reduce the number of different powders I stock so I shoot mostly H110 in magnum loads. Works well for the 41.
Old February 13, 2010, 11:56 PM   #16
longranger

Quote:
Hey longranger, I did use book loads for the cast bullets and no they were not high speed loads.
Quote:
Leading happens when you push a to hard of a bullet not fast enough or to soft of a bullet to fast.The bullet won't obturate in the bore and seal the gases.The gases "flame cut" along the side of the bullet leaving lead deposits in the barrel.
You experienced one or the other,to hard not fast enough, to soft and to fast.