The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
aparootsa

safety mod for P22?

For my plinking and such I use a Walther P22 (among others), and I was asked recently by a friend why I never use the safety on it. Answer was that I never leave it with rounds in the mag (or chamber), but that I also hate a safety that I have to sweep UP to disengage. I find it much much more intuitive and mechanically easier to sweep my thumb down before firing, so...

anyone heard of a kit to make the safety work that way? From a brief look at it, it'd just be a matter of a different-shaped stop, but I'm not a gunsmith and didn't spend more than a few seconds looking at it. I did spend a little time looking around for one, but didn't even know what to put into a search engine or a part catalog.

And just for my edification, does anyone know what the reasoning was to have down safe and up fire?
Old February 6, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

The orientation of the safety bothers me, too. Not enough to actually do anything about it, though. Since I only ever use it at the range, I'm either shooting it or reloading it.

I just looked around on Google as well, and couldn't find anything about reversing the operation of the safety either.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:48 PM   #3
SW40F

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparootsa
And just for my edification, does anyone know what the reasoning was to have down safe and up fire?
Well, that follows the Up=Fire, Down=Decock/Safe pattern of S&W and Ruger double-action pistols, among others I suppose.