The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 10, 2012, 12:59 PM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
So Momma Doe licks the fawn all tidy-clean. If the result is less scent, does the cause really matter?
Well I guess that just really depends on whether or not you actually want to understand what is going on and if the information being passed onto is actually based on reality or not.

I would contend that when a set of circumstances is described to you that doesn't make much sense (pun intended), or the explanation for the circumstances doesn't make much sense, then there is probably good reason to question the validity of it.

There seems to be quite a bit of folklore associated with firearms, ballistics, terminal ballistics, and hunting. I don't see where passing on hokey information is beneficial to anyone.

I actually find the notion of fawns being virtually odorless as per TPWD to be rather interesting. Just because an animal is "virtually odorless" to humans doesn't mean it is virtually odorless to predators. Generally speaking, humans don't hunt by smell. The implication there is that if we can't smell it or smell it well, nothing else can, and that would likely be an incorrect statement since our capabilities are much less than those of many predators.

Above you also mentioned...
Quote:
Wiping a fawn's butt with a warm, wet sponge triggers the nursing instinct, if you try to raise one. Baby bottles work well. Mix Carnation canned milk in a 1:3 ratio with water.
This activity is frowned upon by your friends at TPWD unless you first obtain the proper permits to do so. No person may legally be in possession of a live white-tailed deer in Texas without the proper permit from Texas Parks & Wildlife Department. Primarily, this is a Rehabilitator's Permit, Deer Breeder's Permit, or a Transfer Permit with an authorized Facility Id Number for Nursing or Veterinary Care...just in case anyone thought it might be fun to try.
Old June 10, 2012, 08:05 PM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Back when we raised two fawns, SFAIK there was no permit system. The deal was that the deer could not be restrained. Ours were free to come and go as they wished, over several hundred acres and a residential subdivision.

Murgatroyd wandered through unfinished houses, helped the workmen eat their sandwiches, danced on top of cars (dusty hoofprints as proof) and then returned to the house in the evening.

Deer like cookie crumbs, the gravy from Big Brother stew, and honeysuckle blossoms. They will attack a garden hose, trying to kill the snake. They do not object to scotch and water--and neither does a Polish game cock.

Papillon went back to the woods. Murgatroyd stayed, figuring he had a good thing going. He socialized well with a palomino gelding, a goat, a goose, two cats and the shepherd.
Old June 11, 2012, 12:42 PM   #28
rickyrick

I have a squirrel, I think it's illegal to have one also but, the little dude has lived with me for years. He likes nuts...alOt!! An occasional treat of Cheetos or a McDonald's French fry is not rejected either. He was raised on a bottle, never expected to survive but several years later still going strong. He's pretty social and likes to wrestle... But... A very sore looser lol
Old June 11, 2012, 09:40 PM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I really doubt that having a pet squirrel is illegal in Texas. My father had some that would come when "chirped" at, enjoying pecans. Quail are easily gentled down to come when called, just like deer. And, I found, cottontails will get used to a person such that they just sit and watch and don't run away.

Food = welfare for critters.
Old June 14, 2012, 05:57 PM   #30
treg

Quote:
Fawns are on the ground. Shoot coyotes
Dirt is on the ground. Shoot coyotes
Old June 15, 2012, 01:32 PM   #31
jgcoastie

Quote:
Quote:
Fawns are on the ground. Shoot coyotes
Dirt is on the ground. Shoot coyotes
Dead coyotes are on the ground. Shoot more.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 15, 2012, 01:46 PM   #32
Texasfirearmfan

Shooting yotes!

yep those coyotes are a serious issue around where i live (60 miles from dallas, texas) the other day when i let my dog out to use the restroom (chihuahua) a coyote was walking les then 50 feet from my front door. im starting to feel the need to carry a revolver on me just to let my dog use the restroom... yet people say its wrong that we hunters shoot coyotes? happy hunting
-Corey
Old June 15, 2012, 07:16 PM   #33
thallub

Hunters are not killing enough coyotes. Fort Sill started a good thing last muzzleloader deer season; kill a coyote and get your choice of hunting areas at the next days drawing.

In SW OK the coyotes get over one third of the fawns, bobcats get a few. i killed two big boar hogs in the act of eating fawns. The game commissions of some states do little to help the situation: Here in OK we cannot shoot coyotes at night. Some states actually have a season on coyotes. NY has a season but does let its hunters kill coyotes at night.

i have a rifle in the truck 27/7 and often pop coyotes in fields.
Old June 16, 2012, 05:23 AM   #34
treg

Here in MI there is a season, but a landowner can kill a coyote that's "doing or about to do damage" anytime.

Ever seen a coyote that's NOT about to do damage?
Old June 16, 2012, 08:42 AM   #35
shortwave

Quote:
I have a squirrel, I think it's illegal to have one also but, the little dude has lived with me for years. He likes nuts...alOt!! An occasional treat of Cheetos or a McDonald's French fry is not rejected either. He was raised on a bottle, never expected to survive but several years later still going strong. He's pretty social and likes to wrestle... But... A very sore looser lol

Dad brought it in , mom fed it with an eyedropper and us kids named him Tippy. It was our house pet for many years. Tippy would go to the front door when it wanted out and come back to the front porch when it wanted back in.

His favorite place to stretch out was across the top of the back of the recliner. He would sleep there and if you were sitting in the recliner he would crawl down and lay around your neck.

Well Tippy got to be probably 4-5 yrs old and one evening was laying on the back of the recliner. We were all watching T.V. and my oldest brother came in, plopped down in the recliner and Tippy, which had never shown any aggression, jumped on brother head and ran circle's around his head biting chunks out of him.
Dad snatched Tippy and squashed his head like a grape...

...moral of the story:

You can't take a wild animal and totally domesticate it.

Getting back on the 'yote' topic, yotes being extremely bad around these parts, I shoot them whenever I get one in the cross hairs. As most of the neighbors do as well.
Old June 17, 2012, 11:32 PM   #36
tahunua001

there is a doe frequenting my place, I have found fawn tracks in my driveway after recent rains, I have never seen that fawn but I am either seeing coyotes or hearing them on a daily basis...I freaking hate these wild mutt dogs when they are intent on eating my bucks 3 years before they're ready
Old June 17, 2012, 11:51 PM   #37
Baylorattorney

Fawns are pretty well protected by their nature, but shoot coyotes anyway. My fawn would be on my lap and my black lab never even noticed it. Couldnt smell it or see it. Hard to believe but it's true.