The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Smogdude

Newbie question

Hi All-

I'm fairly new to the forum, and just starting to get into reloading. The only problem is it's almost harder to find components right now than it was to buy parts for an AR15 in November. Luckily I've secured some dies in .223, but I plan of reloading .223, .40 s&w , and possibly .45acp.

I have questions about resizing... specifically a collet neck resizing die versus a full length resizing die.. As I understand from what I've read you only use the collet neck die when you're reloading brass for a specific chamber. If I have fired brass from my AR15 and use the collet die will I have any issues firing it in my mini-14 afterwards?
Old March 26, 2009, 09:06 PM   #2
G.H. Militia

For the record, I am not an expert...

I have always heard that in reloading for a semi-auto rifle, full-length sizing is best. Reliable chambering and feeding , in most cases, require a case that is worked back to factory spec.

neck-sizing is done mostly in bolt-action or single-shot type rifles. "fire-forming" the brass makes it fit the specific chamber more tightly, and can make for greater accuracy. even so, you will still have to occasionally full-length size, as the brass will eventually be too tight in the chamber, and harder to cycle.

another advantage to neck sizing is that it limits the overall increase in length from resizing. i would recommend a case trimmer if you shoot semi-s. deprime and resize, then trim to length listed in your reloading manuals..
Old March 26, 2009, 09:11 PM   #3
Inspector3711

I second that motion. When reloading for a semi automatic always full length resize the brass even if reloading for the same rifle. Collet or neck sizer dies are for bolt action, single shot, or perhaps lever guns. If you don't need the collet die you can always sell it on here, ebay or craigslist. Too bad I already have the collet dies I need!
Old March 26, 2009, 09:43 PM   #4
Smogdude

Thanks for the input..I have both collet and full length resizing dies on the way. I planned on getting a factory crimp die as well.. since all my .223 rifles are autoloaders. The collet die may come in handy as a roomate of mine has a bolt gun in .223.

I lucked out in having a friend who works at a private (mil and law enforcement only) range that I get to shoot at occasionally. He also hooks me up with 5 gallon buckets full of once fired brass.
Old March 27, 2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Inspector3711

For a bolt gun that collet die is hard to beat. I use Redding dies but bought one collet die for each bolt action rifle. Nice to get free brass. Hard to come by... I get alot of mine from the range i shoot at. They don't want it so you just scrounge through their buckets.
Old March 27, 2009, 12:36 AM   #6
Lavid2002

Do research b4 u stock up on powder. This was my demise.