The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Thunder Struck

How to check age of "new" Ruger?

I have narrowed my search for my first handgun to either a Ruger SR9 or SR9c. Is there a way to tell the manufacturing date of either of these models? I ask because I have read that there was a problem with the earlier SR9's and I want to avoid that if possible.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:24 PM   #2
marine6680

Maybe call Ruger and ask them...

But I wouldn't worry about it too much, as Ruger will fix the pistol if you have problems. Ruger has one of the best customer service departments of all the manufacturers.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:29 PM   #3
meanmachine1961

The later SR9s have the D shaped mag release button.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:52 AM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
I have narrowed my search for my first handgun to either a Ruger SR9 or SR9c. Is there a way to tell the manufacturing date of either of these models? I ask because I have read that there was a problem with the earlier SR9's and I want to avoid that if possible.
There's a serial number list somewhere on Ruger's site.

right here.

One visible sign of not being earliest production is the presence of a trigger safety lever, a la Glock. No trigger safety --> early SR9. (It could also mean that unit went through the recall and had the fixes applied. But, that's what you want, right?)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 26, 2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Thunder Struck

Thanks guys!
Old October 26, 2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Sevens

Quote:
But I wouldn't worry about it too much, as Ruger will fix the pistol if you have problems. Ruger has one of the best customer service departments of all the manufacturers.
Certainly this is true...
But who on Earth wants to buy a gun that is well known to have issues if the same company cleared up the issues with later models? It makes perfect sense to simply try to find a LATER gun then to just buy the first one you find -- only to have to send it back to the manufacturer.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:17 PM   #7
zombietactics

ALL of the SR9c, SR40c and SR40 pistols were manufactured "post problems", so they are all good-to-go

Early SR9 models (the ones recalled) have a round-shaped magazine release and don't have the Glock-style bladed trigger mechanism.

The middle bunch have a bladed trigger and round mag release. They are mechanically fine and have no general reported problems. The triggers tend to be a bit stiff.

The latest SR9 models have a D-shaped mag release and bladed trigger. These have a better trigger feel.