The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 31, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Firefighter88

scope mounts

Just to be sure, are your scope rings supposed to touch each other? I bought talley lightweight two peice base with built on rings. They fit well, are 1" mounts, my nikon monarch is a 1" scope. I just want to be sure they won't damage scope before I tighten them down.

some may laugh at this question, but first time mounting a scope so cut me some slack

Thanks
Old July 31, 2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Creeper

Talley makes excellent rings... IMO.

Do you mean the shoulders bottom out on the sides before the you reach the correct screw torque value?

No, that shouldn't happen... it might be really close, like a few thousandths gap, but not bottom out.
If that's the case, the scope may shift. You can shim them, but you shouldn't have to do that. Might be the scope... did you measure the scope and rings with, at least, a dial caliper?

Call Talley and see what they have to say.

Phone: (803) 854-5700
Fax: (803) 854-9315
Email: [email protected]

C
Old July 31, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Firefighter88

well, i havent torqued them completely to value yet, i have a gap, was just making sure that when torqued, since there is a gap, that it doesn't squash scope and distort image
Old July 31, 2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Firefighter88

also, is 28-30 lbs, which is recommended by my wheeler F.A.T wrench for rings, correct for the talleys
Old July 31, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Creeper

I believe I recall seeing a Talley ring spec of 15-20 for the rings and 25-30 on the bases.

C
Old July 31, 2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Firefighter88

bases i went 18-20...i went around 28 on rings, is that gonna be bad, should i loosen and go 20lb per talley standards? or just leave it...thanks creeper
Old July 31, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Creeper

On all aluminum rings, I generally don't go past 20... 25 max with steel. I lap my rings though and use dykem to verify 100% contact.
Some would go no more than 15 and 20 respectively... but I don't use cheap scopes, and I've never "crimped" a scope in my life.

If the rings are close enough to the turrets (the rear turret in particular), too much torque can pinch or otherwise damage the erector tube... and turn the scope to junk.

I think, and this is just a guess, that more good scopes get damaged from over-tightened rings than just about any other causes combined.

You might want to back off and retorque to 20 in.lbs.

Cheers,
C
Old July 31, 2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Firefighter88

backed off and retorqued. thanks creeper, appreciate the help. I appologize for all the added questions, but what about the gap between the rings, should it be equal on both sides? Or is it ok if say the bolt side of gun had a slightly larger gap than other side, as far as gap between top and bottom scope ring. Again, thanks for the help
Old July 31, 2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Creeper

I'm an anal retentive, obsessive compulsive type... so, I'll actually measure the gap side to side with a feeler gauge. If the total is .045", I know that I need to adjust to .0225" per side... give or take a thou.
No one knows or cares but me... and that's enough.

For regular, normal folks, as long as it's not obviously different, I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Cheers,
Old July 31, 2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Firefighter88

I'm kinda particular myself, so I will probably adjust a bit, but I think I'm good to go after that. Thanks Creeper for settin me straight. Lesson learned
Old July 31, 2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Creeper

No worries 88. If you need OCD gun info... I'm one of those guys.

Ciao,
C
Old August 1, 2012, 01:24 PM   #12
saands

Talking about OCD ... watch the units!

Sounds like you know that the spec is measured in in-lbs and not ft-lbs or just lbs (which isn't a torque at all), but just so that future people who run across this won't grab that torque wrench out of the garage and trash their scope, I thought that I would make that clear ...

Glad you got it done easily,

Saands