The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 10, 2008, 11:28 AM   #76
greyeyezz

Quote:
We have a winner, IMO. If you are grabbing the BOB, your concern is not for a fighting pistol, it is more for a survival gun, and a good Ruger .22 is hard to beat. Your fighting gun will be your rifle or shotgun, the .22 for small game, quiet use, etc. Most folks are far more likely to need the BOB gun for shooting little critters than people.
If you live in an urban area and something suddenly catastrophic happens where you must leave there will be total traffic gridlock. Imagine rush hour x100. Your not driving anywhere. A powerful, durable handgun is your best option. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would be very ill-conceived to be walking around with any type of long-arm unless you can fold it up hidden and deploy it quickly.

Quote:
I'm 100% with you there. Since they passed the "castle doctrine" law in Ohio, I'm going to sit in my house with a loaded handgun in my pocket. In the unlikely event that the SHTF, I've got enough MREs, ammo, LED lights (9 at last count), 10 gals. of water (not counting the 50 gal. water heater), two Coleman stoves, and three gals. of Coleman fuel. I can hole-up in here for a month at the very least.

Forget "bug-out". If anything, I'll "bug-in".
Would you "bug-in" if there was a major event at Davis-Besse?

Last edited by greyeyezz; December 10, 2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old December 10, 2008, 02:38 PM   #77
MaxHeadSpace

Quote:
say it to people who have experienced Katrina hurricane, I'm sure your theory about derived dysfunction and media marketing will please them.
For sure paranoia isn't a good thing, but when things like katrina or other kind of riots happen, there is 2 kind of people, the one who are prepared,they might have good chances and the one caught with the pants down, this is not a myth, but a proven fact...
Do you remember how long time it took before emergency plan was organized under katrina?
And law enforcement, National Guard viewed the people with firearms as "visible threats to law and order."

I don't agree with the govt.'s reaction to Katrina and the systematic dis-arming of civilians. But what I'm saying is that generally the "Bug Out Bag" mind-set pretty much goes against the grain of contingency plans the local govt. has set out for managing a disaster.

Law enforcement, emergency response, and the military have a plan in place for dealing with the Rambo enclave looking to "take control" in an emergency situation where there is a breakdown in civil order.

Get out there with a firearm and you'll be viewed as a threat to law and order.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't maybe have recourse to a firearm. It does mean that you need to need to understand what the "big plan" is and cooperate with law enforcement/emergency crews. You're not going to have the option of "taking matters into your own hands."
Old December 10, 2008, 02:54 PM   #78
Nigelcorn

Just a side note-I have seen a couple people that included the wind-up flashlights in their BOB. I bought several different models, and they all were pretty much worthless. After running through their first charge, from the factory, the lights never produced enough light to justify the energy spent winding them. I don't know if you all just found better models or what.

I decided in the end that small LED flashlights put off more light, and spare batteries last for years in a bag. I have 3 flashlights and spare batteries for all of them in less space than my one wind-up flashlight.
Old December 10, 2008, 05:21 PM   #79
BigJimP

I have to say I agree with MaxHeadSpace,

Being prepared for a natural disaster - with an emergency bag - food, water, medicine, a battery operated radio, a handgun, etc is one thing. But the emphasis here is on preparedness - not buggin out.

Katrina was an awful lesson - and brought out some of the worst in FEMA and a few "citizens" in the area / but unless my neighborhood is unliveable, I'll plan on staying where I am / or getting to my house / helping the authorities, the Coast Guard, whoever needs it.

I always keep a bag in my vehicle (with rain gear, change of clothes, basic first aid kit, a little water - and flashlight, a gun, $ 250 in cash(in small bills and some coins) - in my vehicle). I live in an Earthquake area - but I don't need a "para-military" bug out bag in my vehicle or my house.
Old December 10, 2008, 09:51 PM   #80
FireForged

Quote:
I always keep a bag in my vehicle (with rain gear, change of clothes, basic first aid kit, a little water - and flashlight, a gun, $ 250 in cash(in small bills and some coins) - in my vehicle). I live in an Earthquake area - but I don't need a "para-military" bug out bag in my vehicle or my house.

Dude.. that is a bug out bag. and by the way, a bug out bag has nothing to do with para-military.
Old December 11, 2008, 12:14 AM   #81
bred836101

my BOB is my regular camping bag a lil pup tent my servivle knife 5 broke down MRE's (just to save room) my XD .40 and 200 plus round.and some other ods and ends. its a big backpack LOL
Old December 11, 2008, 02:22 AM   #82
Wolfeye

I've been meaning to make a BOB. I think a small rifle for hunting small game, plus a large snub revolver for bear or human protection, would be a good combo for a woods kit. I'm thinking Marlin 70PSS for the rifle, Ruger Alaskan for the handgun. For an urban BOB, I'd go opposite that and pair a model 1894SS with a Smith model 642.
Old December 15, 2008, 09:56 PM   #83
Huntergirl

Springfield loaded and Marlin lever 44mag. Never leave home without em.
Old December 16, 2008, 01:33 AM   #84
troy_mclure

ive actually got 3, one i keep in the truck, one i keep in the house, and my cashe in my storage unit.

truck:
back pack style bag, 3 20ox bottles of water, several granola bars, small first aid kit, sheath knife, tikka led head lamp, sure fire aviator, lighter, 12rd mag for my cary gun, 50rd box for same, cash.

i dont have a gun in my truck bag because my cary gun is on me or in the truck.

the truck bag is just to get me home, to my storage unit, or to a place where i can "secure" the equipment needed.

my home bag:
large duffel, short barrel mossy 500 w/ folding stock, 50 various shells, large first aid kit, extra batteries for lights, surefire aviator, tikka headlamp, lighter, 6 20 oz bottles of water, 3 mres, compass, sheath knife, small hatchet with sheath & belt, 24" crow bar, sharpening stones, fishing kit, henry .22 survival rifle, brick of 500 rds, water purification tabs, 3 boxes of granola bars.

if im at my house with NO time this gets tossed in the truck, and im gone, if i have time ALL my guns and ammo at the house get loaded up.

storage unit:
at my storage unit, on the opposite side of town, i have 6 100L Tupperware containers filled with enough supplies, & ammo to last me a while, plus maps, and plans/routes to preselected bugout sites depending on the "event" that causes the bugging.
yes there is a zombie site!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 16, 2008, 04:37 AM   #85
106RR

Bug Out Bag

I would like to have a Ruger 22 auto with a polymer frame and the aftermarket aluminum barrel and receiver. I doubt that a long gun would would be practical without a vehicle. I live in earthquake country and the problem is that the bridges, freeway ramps, overpasses, tunnels go down and the road comes up. The traffic lights will be out and the phones inoperable for voice message. The cell phone with texting will work when all other forms of communication fail because the text messages go in a que to wait for the next available packet, whereas the voice system waits for a connection which will be timed out over and over until your battery fails. A windup radio
might get you the info on the location of the nearest (or best) survival shelter, the national guard water trailer or a road that's open. Some flares might be good to have as well.
I keep a multitool and a stainless razor sharp Mora sheath knife in each car along with water meds, walking shoes, a compass and maps a first aid kit, rations, two flashlights, spare batteries, warm clothes, a spare hat and if ti were legal a lightweight handgun and some ammo. There will be no appreciable police or fire dept response for at least three days. My actual BoB is a walk home bag or a hike to the emergency shelter bag.
Old December 16, 2008, 02:41 PM   #86
Raggedman

I am, in effect, already "bugged out". I live in a small cabin (shack) perched on the edge of a smallish river. If the "S" were to actually "HTF", I'm best off where I am.( plenty of firewood, game, fish, other edibles and water).

I do bug out occasionally when the river reaches flood stage 4-6 times/year, and have a bag at the ready.

Basic bag: (Stays in the Jeep and is also good for getting me back home)

Changes of clothes
Fixed blade knife
Comprehensive First aid kit
Cash
Thermal blanket
Poncho
Flashlight/batteries
.40 sw Cougar extra mags and ammo

For the more "open-ended" getaway. Say the SHTF and my shack is in danger of the river taking it somewhere downstream, I add:

More (and warmer) clothes
Polar fleece sleeping bag
Chemical hand/feet warmers
Meal replacement bars
Multi-tool
Compass
Soap and hand sanitizer
T.P.
Fire making items
Good ol' Bic and Trioxane bars
Magnesium bar/flint/steel
Cottonballs
Vaseline (other uses (yeah, that too))
XL heavy duty trash bags (hooch)
4 Liters of water (Heavy, but save the containers when empty)
Plastic for water collecting
Water Filtration
Large bandanna (many uses)
100' Paracord (many uses)
"Wire" saw
Fishing kit
Small Sewing kit
Portable radio
More batteries (Hmm, I see I should acquire a hand-cranked radio and light)
Larger fixed blade knife
10/22 w/red dot, extra mags and 500+ rounds
(the other guns would have to remain behind, as this is about staying alive)

The clothes, guns and water are the heaviest (and maybe most essential) part, so I try to pack as light as I can.

Seems like a lot, but takes up surprisingly little space

addendum: Most of the contents listed I've packed in a dry bag for week-long canoe trips...A hot shower is the thing I missed most

Last edited by Raggedman; December 16, 2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: addendum
Old December 16, 2008, 04:49 PM   #87
popeyespappy

Quote:
I can't think of a situation in which I'd bug out of my own home.
Apparently some of us don’t remember Bhopal, India. There’s probably no place in the US that’s not downwind of a chemical plant, nuclear reactor or even just a set of train tracks that’s only a couple of human errors away from a disaster that kills thousands. A situation that to put it in the most basic terms means, “to stay is to die.”
Old December 16, 2008, 04:59 PM   #88
Croz

Quote:
Apparently some of us don’t remember Bhopal, India. There’s probably no place in the US that’s not downwind of a chemical plant, nuclear reactor or even just a set of train tracks that’s only a couple of human errors away from a disaster that kills thousands. A situation that to put it in the most basic terms means, “to stay is to die."
Very true statement. A few years ago, I was living in southeastern Michigan, in a small town. A train carrying tanker cars of sulphuric acid derailed on a bridge over the river. If they had hit the water and started leaking, it would have released clouds of sulphuric acid over the area.

Homes in the immediate vicinity were evacuated until the cars could be secured.
Old December 16, 2008, 05:32 PM   #89
sandbag

How about

a Ruger Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible?It shoots 38,357,and 9mm-three of the most commonly encountered ammo types.
Old December 16, 2008, 06:15 PM   #90
azredhawk44

I don't have a BoB pistol.

I carry a pistol every day and whatever I have on me when needed is my "emergency" pistol.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust a dedicated BoB pistol because I wouldn't have put rounds through it recently and I wouldn't know its manual of arms as well as a pistol I carried routinely.

BoB's are a great idea. Everything you need to eat/drink/survive for a little while, then add to that some emergency money, critical identity documents and some insurance forms or other important documentation.

With those few essentials, you can rebuild your entire life elsewhere if necessary.

My BoB is only emergency supplies and documentation... no weapons at all. Those are on me as long as I'm dressed.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:16 PM   #91
milito227

Bug out bag pistols.

I have in mine a Smith &Wesson M&P 9mm. 3 full mags and and an extra box of ammo. It's what I carry on duty and what I've been blessed to win several competitions with. Mine also has a threaded barrel and suppressor. Though thats probably not unnecessary. There is also a company that will custom make your bug out bag with a pistol. Sighted and tested by an F.B.I. firearms instructor and S.W.AT. officer. you can email them at [email protected] or buy there stuff on gunbroker. Also there is a good thread about this topic at Zidaho.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bx.jpg (7.5 KB, 32 views)
Old March 18, 2013, 08:24 AM   #92
2000ShadowACE

I pack a charter arms target bulldog in .357. There is a box of .357 rounds and a box of .38 specials along with the typical survival gear including fire starters, water filtration device, extra clothes a tarp, and a first aid kit.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:36 AM   #93
RedBowTies88

The only gun I can being useful in a BOB would be .22lr rifle. Something you can take apart like that henry that breaks down and all fits in the stock.

A service type pistol belongs holstered on your person in that situation and my AK will be over my shoulder.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:46 PM   #94
L_Killkenny

Old thread but I'm gonna respond just the same.
Quote:
The only gun I can being useful in a BOB would be .22lr rifle. Something you can take apart like that henry that breaks down and all fits in the stock.
Had one of those Henry AR-7's and can tell you from personal experience that a Ruger or other dependable .22lr pistol and some practice is a better choice.

I have a ammo container for each of my guns, some times a coin purse, other times a small bottle, heck I've even used doubled up zip lock bags. Amount varies depending on ammo size but I'd say 30-50 rounds.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:26 PM   #95
iblong

Mines not a BOB its a get home bag,Its contents change with the season.
I plan for it taking up to 3 days to get home,I keep a small nesting cook kit,Para cord,small folding saw,small back packer tent,24" machete,fist aid kit,
Water purifier,good fixed blade knife.enough food for 3 days.extra mags for my daily carry.in winter I add a bomber hat ,choppers,wool socks,ins.bibs and
water proof shell to ware over my reg jacket.I figure if I can eat,drink and have shelter I'll get home eventually.I also keep some small misc.items including flash lights.batteries,fire starter, compas and GPS.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:17 PM   #96
shafter

Mods must be asleep today or something. Four pages must be a record.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:22 PM   #97
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
Mods must be asleep today or something. Four pages must be a record.
Nope. We're here, but this thread hasn't ventured out of bounds.

If I were to have a dedicated BOB gun (i.e. one that wasn't riding on my hip), I'd be thinking revolver. Maybe SP101, or something similar.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:14 PM   #98
shafter

Glad to hear this is an acceptable discussion. Now I can weigh in. Based on what I have now I'd probably choose my Ruger Security Six. It covers all of the bases in a reasonably sized package. Concealable, powerful, rugged, and accurate.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:58 PM   #99
Mauser8mm

HiPoint

If you want a pistol to throw in a bag, the Hi Points are perfect

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old March 18, 2013, 09:07 PM   #100
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
Glad to hear this is an acceptable discussion. Now I can weigh in. Based on what I have now I'd probably choose my Ruger Security Six. It covers all of the bases in a reasonably sized package. Concealable, powerful, rugged, and accurate.
I think we all know that this thread had the potential to venture off into territory unpalatable by TFL standards. Should it venture too far out into TEOTWAWKI-land, I assure you that one of us will promptly close it.