The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 10, 2006, 10:10 PM   #1
White Stallion

Camo

I live in Pennsylvania, I usually like to hunt in May, June, July, August. The place where I hunt has mostly open, but some places have thick cover. I usually hunt small birds, squirrel, chipmunk, groundhog, and other small game and pests. I want to know what sourt of camo should I wear for these conditions?
Old February 11, 2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Desertfox

Birds, squirrel, chipmonk, groundhog and other small game require no camo to speak of.

It is green there during those months. If you must camo up, Predator Spring Green is my favorite or Green deception. Mossy Oak Forrest Floor is one that would work. MO Obsession or any camo with green as the dominant color. Realtree HD, heck even old military bdu's would work. Being deathly still is the best camouflage.
Old February 11, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Brian429

Well I live in PA as well, and there is no hunting season for small birds, chipmunks, and small birds at all. (not that I've ever shot any of them ) Squirrel season is in in the fall...not during the dog days of summer! My cousin got nailed with a nice little fine from a Pennsylvania Game Commission officer because someone turned him in for shooting song birds. So just be carefull!
Old February 11, 2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Jack O'Conner

I have an opinion about camo clothing that goes against mainstream marketing and consumer buying trends. Anyone is allowed to disagree, but please let's be polite with each other.

Dan'l Boone killed more deer in his lifetime than any of us can (legitimately) in 10 lifetimes. He wore tan and brown leather hunting shirts and dark woolen trousers. Chuck Adams, the famous archer, holds more P & Y big game records than anyone. Yet for most of these hunts he wore a woolen black and green hunting shirt and black watch cap. Larry Benoit and his sons have taken more large bodied trophy deer than anyone I know of. Yet for most of these hunts they wore woolen black and green hunting shirts and plain jeans. My Dad always wore a woolen black and red plaid jacket for his hunts. Dad told me that the plaid pattern is confusing to animals and they DO NOT recognize it as a threat.

Movement scares game. Especially quick movement. I suggest dark or grey clothing that is quiet and comfortable. Camo patterns are just another marketing gimmick unless we're discussing turkey or waterfowl hunting. That is a different matter.
Jack
Old February 11, 2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Desertfox

I agree with ya Jack. There are alot of "maybe I should have"s involved in bowhunting. Especially when that big boy comes to 100 yards and backs away slowly.
Maybe I should have been wearing a leafy suit. Maybe I should have been more careful with my scent control. Maybe I should have been higher in this tree.
I choose to eliminate some of those by buying camo hunting clothes.
I only wear my camo to hunt. I only wash it in scent eliminating, non-uv enhancing soap. Bag it and put it on only when I get to the hunting woods. I know I could be just as successful in plaid with white tail deer, but Coyotes pick that plaid out from a mile. As you mentioned, turkeys and plaid..... forget it.

It is a main stream gimic to have so many camo patterns and colors and for them to be so pricey. My first 5 whitetails with a bow were taken wearing old military bdu's. I wear the camo and I enjoy the whole experience. It is just a choice not a must do. Besides, I have had hunters walk under me on public land and not see me. Kinda nice to be sneaky.
When Scent-Blocker makes a red and black plaid jacket, I will buy it and wear my Red and Black plaid Stormy Kromer hat.
Old February 11, 2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Me'n'Jack. About all I've ever worn is old khakis, and an old Army field jacket.

Wuz dressed that way while sitting on the ground, one day, leaned up against a tree. I "squeaked" a fox in close enough to tap his nose with the toe of my boot, so I guess khakis are enough like camo.

Art
Old February 12, 2006, 05:47 PM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

Most hunts don't require anything but dark clothing. Camo is mainly to hide hunters from one another. If your sitting still, most of the time game won.t pick you up until you move. Deer don't see colors as we do, so any dark cloth will blend into your surroundings.
If you feel the need for camo, there is NO REASON to go buy the expensive ready made clothing that everyone buys.
I have a fabric store here, and every year, they have some of the more popular patterns of camo that can be bought by the yard. For about $30.00 you can buy enough material to make a full set of camo, and by using elastic
around the wrists and leg bottoms, you can size it big enough to wear any amount of clothing you want underneath and stay as warm as you like.
I'm not a seamstress, but I can make a set of clothing in about an hour,and the deer really won't care how tailored it is.
I saved enough peices of camo from the waste material, to make a blanket that is camo, and comes in pretty handy for a ground blind while stalking, or an extra layer of warmth if I'm sitting in a stand. It can be rolled up and carried on my back, and unrolls to about 7ft by 9 ft (open) and about 16" by 4" around when it is rolled up.
This "Git up" cost about $40.00 total and covers me from top to bottom, and when you compare that to a set of camo for $100.00 it's pretty cheap.