The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 6, 2005, 01:23 PM   #1
tkara3

win.1200 shotgun throat -help

can some one tell me how to change the magazine throats on it. how do i get them out.

[request for email response deleted by moderator...]
toni from ohio
Old October 6, 2005, 05:47 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

best left to a smith with this one

First off, welcome to the forum. If you don't have a lathe and the knowledge of making tools, take this to a smith and let him take care of this for you. You have to drive the mag tube forward enough to get the magazine throats out. This part is simple, remove the barrel and put the magazine cap back in place and drive it down on a hard table or floor covered by a mat. Just drive it down until the throats can be removed. Once the throats are replaced, you then need a tool like a slide hammer that goes over the magazine tube, basically it is a large metal ring with the center bored out to fit over the magazine tube and will be used to strike the magazine cap. Replace the magazine cap and use the hammer ring to drive into the mag, cap line up the throats and drive the hammer ring up into the mag cap until you hear the distinctive change in pitch you will hear when the throats are home.

Like I said, take it to a smith unless you have a lathe and can make the tool. You can mess things up trying to replace them if you don't do it correctly.