The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 21, 2012, 12:27 AM   #1
stew870

LCR 357

Just brought a LCR 357 so my wife could just point and shoot , she will only be shooting 38 through it do you guys think this might be to much gun for her
Old August 21, 2012, 12:41 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

It oughta work out... Just to be on the safer side, how about starting her out with the lightest (non +p) .38 loads you can find?... See how she handles them, then MAYBE work up to some more powerful ones IF and when she's ready... (?)
Old August 21, 2012, 01:45 AM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

How much experience does she have? How recoil sensitive is she? The LCR 357, even with .38 sp, can be pretty nasty. I've fired one, and I have lots of experience with a Smith & Wesson 442, which is an alloy J frame of similar weight. But then I'm a pretty high mileage handgun guy.

And as an NRA certified instructor I've introduced hundreds of beginners to shooting handguns. I would not recommend am LCR or alloy frame, small snub nose for a beginner. It's the sort of thing that will likely put a beginner off shooting.

If your wife is well schooled and experienced with a handgun, something like an LCR 357 could be a fine choice. But for a beginner, one of Ruger's medium frame revolvers with a steel frame and a 3 inch to 4 inch barrel would be a much better choice.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old August 21, 2012, 08:54 AM   #4
jmortimer

Have an 13 ounces J Frame .357 that my wife shoots no problem with standard pressure .38 Specials. Try it and see what happens. The LCR weighs 4 more ounces than J Frame I have. I believe it should work. We have some Federal 110 grain HPs low recoil. For me I like the .357 "Cowboy" 158 grain RNFP with a decent meplat in the light guns or 148 grain DE wadcutters with max meplat and very low recoil.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

AFAIK, no lightweight snubnose in .38 or .357 is going to make anyone say, "Wow! That's really soft-shooting!" However, as jmortimer pointed out, there are also some low-recoil .38 loads available. I saw some from Federal for sale at Academy sports recently.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Jayhawkhuntclub

As long as she's okay shooting 38s in it, she's fine. I shoot my KLCR pretty well with 357s. But it's painful due to tendenitus and arthritis. I mainly shoot and always carry 38+Ps.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
stew870

well she has shot my sub compact 9mm
Old August 21, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
stew870

Old August 21, 2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew870 View Post
If she managed that well, she should be able to manage the LCR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old August 21, 2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Dave Chuppa

I think she will love it. The Tamer Grip is excellent in soaking up recoil. The gun is very easy to handle with standard 38 rounds. If she can handle a small 9mm the LCR357 with standard 38s may be boring and she may want to step up to 38+P very soon.
Old August 22, 2012, 11:30 AM   #11
momano

S&B wad cutters are low recoil and have helped my wife. Good luck
Old September 2, 2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Johnnymurad

Everyone is different, we had a girl come out to the range with us today who had never shot a pistol before, she started with my .22 mkiii 22/45 but quickly moved up to a 9mm then a 40 S&W but was most excited to shoot my LCR... she started with .38 but asked to try the .357. I was surprised how well she was shooting with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU9b_xhVpn4

Shooting .38 in this gun is manageable even for a small frame new shooter, very noticeable difference from the .38 version of the same pistol.
Old September 3, 2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Viper225

As was said the LCR has a Hogue Tamer Grip to soak up some recoil. The 357 version is a little heavier than the LCR 38 or the Airweight J Frames, which also helps with recoil.

I added an XS 24/7 Tritium Dot front sight to mine. This is an option on the LCR-38. I believe you will have to add it to the LCR-357. For Point and Shoot a Highly Visible front sight is not a bad plan. If you can see the White Sight Dot, you might put it on the target.

You might want to put an LCR-22 on your want list for Practice & Training to go with it. It will be a very good addition. After a couple Bricks of Federal 22's through the LCR-22, she will be Dangerous Lady with the LCR-357. I am much more accurate shooting 38's after shooting a few bricks through my LCR-22.

Bob
Old September 3, 2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Shadi Khalil

Did your wife have any input in this purchase? How experienced is she with handguns? Point shooting takes a lot of practice. Just because a gun is designed and intended for a certain propose doesn't mean it will magically work as its supposed to.
Old September 3, 2012, 07:56 PM   #15
stew870

she shot the gun and did well however she did complain a little about recoil, she was shooting a semi wc 158 grain . I'm buying a 22 lcr for her to practices with. I really enjoyed shooting the gun .
Old September 3, 2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Johnnymurad

The LCR 22 saves you a tun of money on ammo and is the perfect way to practice. Here is a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9pKR15uzIc
Old September 4, 2012, 05:48 PM   #17
bedbugbilly

As you said, you already bought it . . . I hope she had a say in it?

There's only one way to find out . let her shoot it and see.

My wife went shooting with me for the first time last year 9we've been married 40 years). I started her out on my Ruger Super Bearcat which she loved. I then had her shoot my 357 New Vaquero with 38 spls in it. She did fine but wasn't thrilled with the recoil.

I have a LCR 357 that is my CCW. I've shot 357s out of it and it was fine but I'm more of a 38 spl. guy and that's what I carry in it.

If she does some practice at SD ranges and gets used to it, she'll be fine. I've always shot SA but I did do some practice shooting in DA with my S & W M & P . . . it didn't take me long to get accustomed to the trigger pull on the LCR and after a number of range visits, it's second nature. If she carries, she'll like the light weight of of it and it would go in a smaller purse even and not be evident. As stated already, if she's going to carry the LCR . . . at some point you might want to pick up the 22 version for her to practise with . . cheaper to shoot and a good way to improve on accuracy.

I really like mine and after trying several different handguns for carry, I settled on the LCR as for me, it works out great.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 5, 2012, 12:40 PM   #18
stew870

thank you everyone for the input
Old September 6, 2012, 11:56 AM   #19
fdreano

Teach her the grip technique used by the master for small frame revolvers...about 2-1/2 minutes into the 7th video; it makes handling the small frame snubbies tolerable:

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/search/node/Jerry%20Miculek

Of course, some wives will claim they are already used to handling small things