The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 1, 2009, 07:02 PM   #1
DanJ

Scope for slug gun?

I'll eventually buy a slug gun--probably 12ga but maybe 20ga. I would like to put a scope on it. I'm not interested in spending over $300 on the scope, or maybe $350 maximum. The main criterion is the ability to stand up to the recoil of a 12ga slug gun. Any favorites in this price range?
And while we're at it, any thoughts on the Savage slug gun line?

Do you expect the thief who holds a gun to your head to release you because you mean well? I'm sure you mean well when you want to ban guns.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Can't speak for the 12 gauge or the Savage shot gun but I have had a Simmons-Deerfield 2.5x20 on my 20 gauge Mossberg for nearly 10 years and I can get 4" groups at a 100 yards on a good day and 5 shots touching at 50 yards any day. Don't remember what it cost anymore but the scope and mount didn't come anywhere near $300.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 3, 2009, 11:10 PM   #3
buymore

I have an older Simmons Pro Diamond (4x32) on mine and it's holding up just fine. If looking for a higher power than 4x32, I'm not sure if any "shotgun" specific exist? I know scopes say "shock proof", but up to what level of recoil?
Old September 4, 2009, 01:27 AM   #4
zippy13

The Savage slug gun, being a bolt action, finds little favor among the shot-gunning community. One of the advantages of a shotgun (be it a pump, auto-loader, SxS or O/U) is its rapid fire at rates well above those obtainable with a bolt action design. The typical bolt-action is a hell-for-stout design to accommodate working pressures well above those encountered with shot-shells. With big bores and relatively low pressures, shotguns are built to be light and fast handling. And, that's the way shot-gunners like 'um. I see only one advantage to the bolt action shotgun: It offers a narrow segment of the shooting public a rifle-like environment where slugs are required for hunting.

In the same price range as the Savage slug gun are Mossberg and Remington pump shotguns with slug barrels. Do you want a single purpose slug-shooting rifle or the versatility of a shotgun that can shoot slugs, buck, bird and target shot and accommodates interchangeable barrels?
Old September 4, 2009, 03:36 AM   #5
rshanneck2002

Look at the Muellar line up,they sell a 2x7 shotgun scope for roughly $150 or go on sportsmanguide.com and do a search on their homepage and its cheaper,2yrs ago i put one on my 11/87 remmie for deer hunting in southern MI and for the money,well, its the best bang for your buck i have found lately for shooting slugs. It sits on top of my fully rifled cantilever mount slug barrell. Real good scope for the money that has an illumination feature also run from a coin type battery. Had a simmons on it befor love this one much,much more.
Old September 4, 2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Legionnaire

My slug gun wears a Leupold M8 4X that I picked up second hand. I'd buy a used fixed power Leupold to get the most bang for the buck.
Old September 4, 2009, 05:34 PM   #7
T.A.Sharps

Nikon Omega. Awesome for heavy recoil, it has a 5" eye relief, that it very long, your eye will be no where near the reticle when it goes boom.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Bushnell Banner Dusk&Dawn 3-9X40 with Circle-X reticle on my 11-87. The circle is great for deer sized animals. It my favorite scope I've ever had on a shotgun.

$89 shipped on eBay.
Old September 5, 2009, 08:42 PM   #9
shottas69

think about maybe a red dot and it wont break the break
Old September 10, 2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Deerslayer12

bushnell

i bought a bushnell 4x12x40 banner dusk and dawn, i can put all my slugs touchin at 100 yrds plus it has plenty of eye relief i picked it up for about $120
Old September 10, 2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Pahoo

I have never been a big fan of high power scopes on slug guns because on fast moving shots, you will not find your deer or see the vital areas. I go for the lower power and use some of the ones that have been mentioned. I also like Red-Dots and most don't have any magnification. Would ask if you really think you need a scope? I know I do as my eyes have seen to many birthdays.

Be safe !!!