The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2005, 07:01 PM   #1
CraZkid

Shotgun for the little bro.

My little brother(10) after only a few months has gotten the basics of shooting down with the .22 I bought him. Now he wants to go hunting when he turns 11. Rifle hunting is not allowed in Iowa (save varmint) so a shotgun is what I am looking for. I need advice on whether to get him a semi-auto or pump. Also it needs to be versitile enough for deer, phesant and turkey. As I have stated on this forum before, handguns are my cup o' tea so I am pretty clueless about shotguns. I also think it would be cool to get matching shotguns, mine in 12 and his in 20.

With all this in mind, can anyone tell me what would be a good model that would serve him for years?
Old June 4, 2005, 07:09 PM   #2
psycho nut

might try the benelli nova or remington 870
Old June 4, 2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Wraith

Single 20ga. Rossi or NEF. Both have dedicated slug guns.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old June 4, 2005, 07:27 PM   #4
unclestu

20 ga: good choice.
Pump or auto? Between those two, definitely a pump. *BUT*:

An even better choice might be a good 20 ga single barrel. A single shot tends to discourage the "spray & pray" technique, makes a boy realize that he needs to bear down & make the first shot count. At age 10, a "youth model"(shorter stock) might be appropriate.

For a pump, a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 should be a good choice & easy to find in 20 ga.

For a single barrel(my personal choice for a boy's first shotgun), one of the NEF models should serve well at low cost. Even better, prowl the pawn shops & you might find a nice old Savage or Stevens.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:33 PM   #5
psycho nut

my first gun was a rossi 20 gauge single and the thing kicked like a mule
Old June 4, 2005, 07:37 PM   #6
CraZkid

I almost forgot to mention that I was hoping to get invoved in IPSC shotgun shoots and am looking for something that can go from "tactical to practical" (I am already buying two shotguns, I do not think I can justify a third)