The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2011, 09:19 PM   #1
TXGunNut

CB's for My Guide Gun

Couldn't find a CB load my Guide Gun liked last year, tried more than a few and wound up going hunting with a RP Corelokt 405 SP. Great bullet, nice hog, just not what I wanted.
Took three try loads to the range today. First was a boolit from my new Lyman 330 HP Gould mould (457122) over a starting load of RL#7, another using the same boolit over a starting load if IMR4198. Third load, on a whim, was a 405 FP Lyman (457193) over a starting load of IMR4198. First load was bouncing the scope eyepiece off my eyeglasses and stringing vertically just a tad, other than that a nice group! Second group was unremarkable but the third group was almost impressive, other than a bit of vertical stringing. Concluded that the new boolit likes my old powder (RL#7) and the old boolit likes the new powder (IMR4198) that I tried under every other boolit last year. Both boolits cast from WW's with just a touch of tin, sized .459 and lubed w/ SPG lube.
Think I'll drop the powder charges on first & third loads .5gr and see what tomorrow brings!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 12, 2011, 07:45 AM   #2
hornetguy

15 gr Unique, under the Lee 405 hollow-base bullet.

Pleasant to shoot, almost one hole at 50, still about 1 1/2" at 100yds.

IIRC, about 1300fps.. Should kill anything short of a T-Rex.
Old September 12, 2011, 08:35 PM   #3
TXGunNut

Hollow base? Interesting. Thanks! As you know TP&W hasn't added a T-Rex season so that could very well work. You've used it in a Guide Gun?
Old September 17, 2011, 10:29 PM   #4
TXGunNut

Thumper (my Guide Gun) lived up to his name today, think the little rascal will stay home tomorrow. Gould boolit all over the place but the 405 was pretty promising, think I'll drop the powder charges again and try again after my shoulder heals up.
Old September 25, 2011, 09:04 AM   #5
TXGunNut

Thumper beat me up again yesterday but was already having shoulder issues, no biggie. The 405 gr 457193 boolit is looking promising, first 3 shots of a 5-shot string were consistently good. "Misplaced" the Gould boolits, thought I had one on paper, fired the other four and then figured out they went just over the target.
I'll be casting the 50/50 hunting boolit mix of clip on/stick-on WW's that the gurus over on the CB forum recommend. Guess I'll try the Gould mould one more time but I'm really liking that 457193, no wonder it's a classic. Great day for it!
Old October 2, 2011, 10:54 PM   #6
TXGunNut

Thumper beat me up again today, my Sharps in .45-90 didn't help much either. OTOH I managed to get 8 out of 10 of my latest 405 (457193) boolits into 2.5 inches. The first flier was due to an oily, unfouled bore. The other....well that's the reason I call the little brute "Thumper"!
Having shoulder issues these days and this project isn't helping.
Old October 3, 2011, 09:31 AM   #7
dahermit

In all my cast bullet rifle loads except one, Reloader 7 proved to be the best powder. My 38-55 just did not like it...all the others did albeit, they all seemed to have a sharper recoil than when trying other propellants. Your experience with Reloader 7 may be different, however.
Old October 3, 2011, 09:13 PM   #8
TXGunNut

In all my cast bullet rifle loads except one, Reloader 7 proved to be the best powder.-dahermit

I like RL7 in .35 Rem and .375 Win with jacketed bullets, tryed to make it work under the Gould cast boolit but not working out so far. I agree, it should work. Wonder why my .375 Win liked it and your .38-55 didn't? Now that you mention it I have a load I want to try, mebbe about 40-42grs under the Gould boolit. Plenty of zip, not much pressure. Seem to recall seeing some 3031 on the shelf as well. Thanks, my friend. I think I'll give our old favorite RL7 another try.
Old October 3, 2011, 10:39 PM   #9
salvadore

ya know Tex, I have an NEI mold for my trapdoor that measures .462. I asked for that diameter because the barrel of my shooter measured the same. I think it weighs in at 460gr or so and is a plain base. Back when I could see, off a bench cases full of pyrodex under this bullet would do 2 minutes or slightly less. I don't think modern firearms are that far out of spec., but have you ever slugged your rifle?
Old October 4, 2011, 12:03 AM   #10
Edward429451

My guide gun likes Lymans 457643, a 400 grain FP sized to .460 and pushed by RL7. With RL7 its almost as if the more powder I use the more accurate it is.
Old October 4, 2011, 10:13 PM   #11
TXGunNut

Just slugged it last night, Sal. Bore is .452", groove is .460". I like that boolit, Ed, but for some reason I chose the 405gr 457193. Big meplat on the 400gr 457643 should make it a better hunting boolit.
Thumper generally shoots just a bit over an inch with jacketed bullets it likes, 2.5" is just an encouraging step towards what I hope will be a 1.5" cast boolit load.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:11 PM   #12
TXGunNut

Thumper had a good day on the range today, too bad I was only about 80%. 35grs of 4198 under a 457193 cast from 50/50 WW's shot nice consistent 2" groups, was only able to do a bit better with RP 405's. New neck sizer, .457 flaring tool and taper crimp dies seem to be working, too bad loose nut on the trigger was having an off day. Gould 330 HP was fun but I'm going to clean it up and retire it. I can't make it work for my Guide Gun or 45-90 Sharps.
Old October 24, 2011, 07:45 AM   #13
dahermit

I
Quote:
like RL7 in .35 Rem and .375 Win with jacketed bullets, tryed to make it work under the Gould cast boolit but not working out so far. I agree, it should work. Wonder why my .375 Win liked it and your .38-55 didn't? Now that you mention it I have a load I want to try, mebbe about 40-42grs under the Gould boolit. Plenty of zip, not much pressure. Seem to recall seeing some 3031 on the shelf as well. Thanks, my friend. I think I'll give our old favorite RL7 another try.
Don't know why the 38-55 did not like it, other than it had a bore dia. of .379 and the bullets dropped from mold at .375 and had to be very soft to orbitrate. I did have a .375 (Ruger number 3), that shot well with Rx 7, same bullet. One never knows, I guess. They are so close, that it did not make sense to me either.
Old October 24, 2011, 08:21 AM   #14
PawPaw

I use the 405 grain Lee flat nose bullet(457-405-F), pushed to about 1300 fps with a middling load of 4895 and a pinch of dacron to hold the powder against the primer. I cast them from dead-soft lead, because I'm shooting them at BP velocities. My Handi-rifle has a microgroove barrel, from the time when Marlin was making barrels for H&R and that load shoots just fine in my barrel.

Is your Guide Gun microgrooved, or Ballard rifled? Some folks report having trouble getting microgroove barrels to shoot cast bullets, but I shoot them as-cast and they do just fine.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 25, 2011, 10:13 PM   #15
TXGunNut

Most if not all GG's (including mine) are Ballard rifled, I think at least some 1895's are Micro Groove. Consensus over on CB is that the MG barrels like an oversize boolit but suspect a soft alloy helps too. Suspect your Lee 405 is very close to the Lyman 457193. Thinking hard about a Ranch Dog (Lee custom) die in .460 but can't decide which weight.
Guess I'll try the 330 Gould boolit one more time, took a closer look @ Sunday's targets and still think it could work. Be a shame to melt the things down.
Loaded BP 45-90's tonight, still thinking about .45-70 loads.