The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2009, 08:17 PM   #1
tpcollins

What all gets cleaned in tumbler/vibrator?

As a newbie I've only worked with new brass so far. I would probably prefer a vibrator over a tumbler but I'm wondering what exactly gets cleaned besides the outside of the case?

Does the primer pocket and flash hole get cleaned as well as the inside of the neck? What about the inside of the case - will the media clean out the burnt powder residue inside? Will pouring media into the case help in the cleaning process? Does this make the media dirty and can the media be washed clean? I said I was a newbie.
Old March 15, 2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Sport45

I do most all my tumbling (Lyman 1200) with the primers in so no, the primer pockets don't get cleaned. The cases will fill with media and the insides don't get cleaned because there's not a lot of movement inside. This is not a problem for me.

They do a great job of cleaning the outside of the case and that's really what counts. They also do a great job of letting you know you had a few pieces of .40 brass in with your .45acp.
Old March 15, 2009, 10:20 PM   #3
btefft

Before doing any reloading, I tumble-vibrate my brass in a Lyman 1200. I usually use corn cob media, but for really dirty brass, I use walnut media.

The primers are still in the tumbiling brass. After tumbling I resize / deprime the brass. Then, I like to use a Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformer to clean the pockets. That way, the new primer is seated all the way.

Now, for 223, I resize - deprime it, swage it, trim to length, debur - chamfer, and then to get the resizing wax off, I tumble it again with no primer. Got to be sure the check the primer flash hole for media, though.

Hack