The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 9, 2007, 06:22 PM   #1
remjeep75

getting rid of brownings boss

I have a browning syn stalker in 270 wsm and im not really liking the boss system to much. Any thoughts on having it removed, as in affects on accuracy or if it is even possible to be done, or should i just trade it in a buy annother browing with out boss?
Old February 9, 2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

Boss

Dear Sir:
Amen! I'm with you on getting rid of the boss! Yes, you can uscrew the forward part and use it like that which isn't very pretty, or, what I'd do is cut off behind it and recrown the muzle!
If people would just realize that they can accomplish the same effect by altering seating depth of the bullet it would't be necessary. If you're a handloader you can do that.
Art Alphin, head of A-SQUARE, an African hunter will not use a boss or muzzle-brake at all. Muzzle-brakes increase muzzle-blast, I feel they deleterious to accuracy, etc.
You won't lose any velocity hardly at all.
Harry B.
Old February 9, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3
DnPRK

I hate muzzle brakes due to the loud muzzle blast. If muzzle blast is bothering you, the adjustable part of Boss can be bought without the vent holes. Simply swap out the vented piece for the unvented piece. This will give you the ability to tune for different loads (if you don't reload) while the muzzle blast will be no different than a non-Boss rifle.
Old February 10, 2007, 02:07 AM   #4
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

I have a Browning Bar MarkII(BOSS) 270Win and it will probably consistantly out shoot a lot of standard bolt actions out of the box. The boss works, so why do you want to remove it? The only thing that I will say about the BOSS is that Browning should have made them weigh more in order to work more effectively. The broader spectrum of barrel harmonic control from a heavier tuner would allow for better efficiency.
Old February 10, 2007, 07:37 AM   #5
remjeep75

truthfully the main reason i want to get rid of it is because of its look, i know that sounds petty but it bothers the heck out of me. Also i really do not have alot of time to try to tune the boss.
Old February 10, 2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Scorch

Someone used to sell a threaded sleeve for just this purpose. You remove the BOSS and install the threaded sleeve. Try Brownell's.
Old February 14, 2007, 12:17 AM   #7
The Gamemaster

Is this a A bolt gun?

Does it have a blued barrel or a stainless barrel or a matte finish barrel?

I might be interested in doing some sort of trade..

I have a Browning A bolt - it has a really pretty stock, but no BOSS System.
I'm not going to brag about how well it shoots because I only shot 5 round out of it since I bought it last Feb.

The scope I have on it - a Leupold Vari X 1, and is not my first choice and probably has more to do with it's accuracy than anything else.

With shells being about $25 a box, I have no desire to shoot a couple of hundred rounds through this gun.
Nor do I believe that case life will be more than 4 reloads to a shell.
Old February 14, 2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Swansea

I got rid of the BOSS on my A-Bolt by rebarreling from 338 to 7mm mag with trueing, trigger job and bedding. Figured either chambering would work for elk. Results: improved accuracy, better balance and looks, less noise and no more "Made in Japan" rollstamp. Maybe overkill but I'm happy.