The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 25, 2001, 07:30 AM   #1
laxman

8 rd. Persuader mag on Moss500A?

I scratched up the mag tube on my 500A while trying to get it off. I started to order one and thought it'd be great if I could use the 8 round persuader mag tube. Anyone have a clue if this will work?

Johnny
Old August 25, 2001, 09:05 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Yes, the 8 round will interchange but you'll also need the extended mag tube spring( usually included with the tube) and the extended magazine barrel.
Old August 25, 2001, 03:03 PM   #3
laxman

fal308:
Thanks for the response. Will it extend past the 18.5 barrel?

Where can you find the 8 rd. mag and parts?
Old August 26, 2001, 09:10 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Putting an extended tube on a Mossberg is not like putting an extended tube on a Remington. On the Remington the tube is independant of the barrel whereas on a Mossberg it isn't. The forward barrel mounting on a Mossberg is the end of the mag tube. That's why you need an extended mag tube barrel when you put an extended mag tube on one of these shotugns. mossberg does (did) sell several extended mag tube barrels. I would imagine you could buy them factory direct, I found an extended mag tube 28" vent rib barrel at a gunshop many years ago and purchsed it thinking that would be different as I'd never seen a longer barrel with the extended tube mounting point. This was a factory new barrel still in the wrapping too!
The shortest extended tube factory barrels I've seen are around 20" whereas if you don't mind having a couple fewer shots (standard capaticy mag) then you can get an 18.5" barrel. I suppose you could get a 20" barrel and cut it down an inch or so but don't know if it would be worth it.
There are some photos that may help in the firearms photos link at the top of the page. The very first Mossberg 500 camo listed is a standard capacity mag. Note the length of the mag tube in front of the forearm. Then click on one of the other Mossberg 500 photo links and they all show the extended mag tube mounted. BTW if you click on the 590 AOW links those are standard capacity or standard less one and the Maverick (Mossberg's promotional or discount line) is a rthree round (2 + 1) capacity shorty.
As for availability, you might try Mossberg direct or Hastings Barrels or Brownells.
HTH
Old August 26, 2001, 03:53 PM   #5
laxman

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the information.

Johnny