The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1
longdude17

Pistol Reloading for newbies

Howdy fellas I'm in need of assistance and from my experience the people on here have always been very helpful. First off I've never reloaded anything but Ive always saved my brass for hopes of reloading one day. I had a good friend live with me for a few months before he got married and he left all his reloading equipment here (he set it up a few weeks before moving out) with the promise he would teach me but that never happened.

So if anyone of you have the patience (and the time) to teach me what I need to know it would be much appreciated.

What I have is the following:

-Dillon progressive 4 stage pistol press (from fiddling with it, it takes four strokes to complete the round while loading empty casings)

-9mm dies, 40/10mm dies, .44mag dies and a few others. Focus will be on the 9mm and .40cal as I have 1000 of each

-500 9mm projectiles and 1000 cast .40 projectiles

-1000 large pistol primers

-casing cleaner/shaker with cleaning media, powder scale, and caliper.

- Lyman pistol and revolver handbook

Now my big issues is the Lyman book is geared toward the Lyman presses, and the current press is a Dillon. I don't have the Dillon handbook. I know I need powder and from reading the Lyman book I have an idea on what powder to get and how many grains to use. What I need to know is how to set up the press, how to change the dies, how to adjust the dies, how to load the primers, how to adjust the powder charge, and how to change the powder in the hopper.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I know I will have to measure the powder charge 4-5 times to get an average, I know I will have to adjust the dies for OAL and so on, possibly trim the cases, but I just don't know how to properly set up the machine. Any one have a PDF Manuel they can send me?

Any advice?
Old January 27, 2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

First, 9mm and 40Cal use small primers. You mentioned that you have 1000 large pistol primers. So it sounds like you're gonna need small primers.

There are lots of tutorials on u-Tube and here too. And of course, we are all glad to help.

I think we need to narrow our approach. Pick a caliber. Tell us exactly what the projectile is that you have (124g FMJ, or whatever). Tell us what your purpose is (target shooting, match shooting, general purpose "plinking," defense practice, actual defense). And tell us what powder you have, or can get.

That'll give us a good starting point, and we can see where to go from there.
Old January 27, 2014, 09:24 PM   #3
Chaz88

You can download PDF's of the Dillon manuals for presses and dies. That should give you all the setup and operation information you need. I recommend you read them a few times, try some dry runs with the press, then ask clarifying questions.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 27, 2014, 09:28 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I would get it from the horse's mouth, YouTube is not real reliable.
There are videos and manuals on the Dillon site.

www.dillonprecision.com
Old January 27, 2014, 09:48 PM   #5
oldandslow

L17,

A four stage Dillon pistol press should be the Square Deal B model. Excellent machine. I've done over 90,000 rounds with mine in 38sp, 357mag, 9mm, .45acp. If you call Dillon they will probably send you an owner's manual for free. They have excellent customer service. Good luck.

oldandslow
Old January 27, 2014, 10:51 PM   #6
GJSchulze

Read Reloading for Handgunners, available from Amazon as a paperback or Kindle format.

Watch a bunch of YouTube videos to get a look at how it's done.

Practice reloading without powder to get the hang if it and to get your dies adjusted.

Don't get hung up on case preparation for pistol brass; just get them clean. Shiny is not required.

Look into every case before you place the bullet to make sure it has powder in it.

Bribe your friend for a couple hours of his time. I'm sure he already misses it.
Old January 28, 2014, 02:04 AM   #7
howlnmad

This press could very well be a 550B as thats a 4 station press too. Does the shellplate, the piece that you would put the brass in, rotate automatically or do you advance it with a star on top of the shellplate? I hope it's the 550B, they're easier to do calibet changes than the SDB.
Old January 28, 2014, 09:42 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

You can do it!

Read the process as described in your Lyman guide.

That doesn't change.
The tools might, but the process remains the same.
Old January 28, 2014, 11:34 AM   #9
Jeff2131

I bought the lee reloading for beginners dvd when i started. 1/2 hr and i was in the garage reloading! Since then ive bought the lyman reloading manual and have asked a bunch of questions on here. All accurate and helpful info. Now im reloading everything from 9mm to 500s&w and 223, 243, & 308! Make sure you purchase a bullet puller, #1 rule....if youre not sure or it doesnt look right...pull it and start over after asking questions! Never assume, guess, or approximate. Always follow the manuals and always start low and work up as EVERYone here will tell you.
Old January 28, 2014, 12:32 PM   #10
mikld

I'd suggest you get a single stage press and learn to reload on that then learn to reload progressively (principles are the same, just easier to learn one step at a time). Much easier on the brain. Along with your Lyman manual perhaps a copy of The ABCs of Reloading will help...
Old January 28, 2014, 01:18 PM   #11
berettaprofessor

Look around for a reloading class; at a local gun shop often. That's your best way to get started and it gives you a contact to ask questions.
Old January 28, 2014, 02:16 PM   #12
reload

It would help to clarify which Dillon press you have. I have the Square Deal B. You can download a manual for yours here:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html

I also recommend ordering a Dillon setup video for your press. It was extremely helpful for me when I set up mine. It goes step by step including how to change calibers. There are also youtube videos on how to operate it, but the Dillon video was the best for getting started.

And as said, you need small pistol primers for 9mm and 40.