The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
rebs

which case lube ?

I have used RCBS case lube and pad. Although I have read about stuck cases with the Hornady One Shot. That being said I have heard and read so much about Dillon spray case lube, but the cost to order from Dillon is just too much because of the shipping charges. I would really like to give it a try but the cost keeps me from ordering it.
Is there any other spray case lubes on the market that compare to Dillon that are worth a try ?
Old March 6, 2013, 10:38 AM   #2
wncchester

"Is there any other spray case lubes on the market that compare to Dillon that are worth a try ? "

Yes.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:54 AM   #3
rebs

what are they ?
Old March 6, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
jag2

One Shot is the best selling spray on the market and if used properly you shouldn't have any problems. There is a bit of a learning curve while you figure out how much spray is needed for different calibers. The advantage to the spray is if you are doing a lot of reloading at one time, if you're doing 50 rounds of some large caliber rifle then you might as well stay with your pad since you are familiar with it. Most (honest) reloaders will admit if they get a stuck with One Shot its because they didn't use enough spray. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:53 AM   #5
mjes92

Go with the Dillon spray.
Been using it for years. I mostly reload .223. Put 100-200 cases in a ice cream bucket. 2-3 sprays, mix them around by hand 2-3 more sprays, mix again, done. Look for a local Dillon retailer or rep. They should have it on the shelf. Heck call Dillon, they might be able to give you a list of rep's in your area. I've never been disappointed with a Dillon product.

I stuck one case out of thousands of reloads. Which was my fault. I got a phone call in the middle of re-sizing. Left the case fully engaged in the die. Came back to re-sizing 3 minutes later. One very stuck case. I won't do that again.

Good luck
NRA - Life Member
Old March 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #6
rox

Quote:
I would really like to give it a try but the cost keeps me from ordering it.
You can make your own 'Dillon' lube with pure liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. I forget the exact proportions, but there are plenty of references online. I use it for sizing Palma ammo in runs of 250 to 500.

Old March 6, 2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Barbicatter

Make your own, well thats what I'm planning to do when I run out off my Dillon Case lube. I was using RCBS which was thick, and messy. The Dillon spray quick and easy. I throw the cases in a shoe box give them couple sprays, finger toss them a little, sized over 1,000 round no stuck case yet.(knock on wood) I googled Dillon Case Spray Recipe and came up with several recipes. I do like Dillon products, but I'm with you on the shipping charges on small purchases from them.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Barbicatter

Oops Double post
Old March 6, 2013, 02:39 PM   #9
reynolds357

None of the spray lubes perform as well as Fosters lube. The difference really shows up when dealing with cases with almost no taper that are running very high pressure. When you get the stuff in the dies, you almost can get by with putting none on the case. I run my pad so dry you can hardly tell there is lube on it and have no issues. Press works unbelievably easy.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:32 PM   #10
thump_rrr

Another one for Dillon case lube and I don't even use a Dillon press.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:29 PM   #11
GWS

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/30...ds.html&page=1

This stuff is ever bit as good as Dillion.....pretty much the same thing....and super easy and cheap to make. I use 1-10 lanolin to alcohol.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:50 PM   #12
603Country

I just use the RCBS. Stuff lasts forever (years and years), so why reinvent the wheel with the stuff you mix up in your garage. You might work up something that's as good as, and you might get some thrill from making your own, but I'd buy the RCBS lube and spend my excess time on some other part of reloading. Trimming maybe...no, I hate trimming. Well, primer pocket cleaning...no, I hate that too. Gimme a minute...I'll think of something.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:00 AM   #13
GWS

Well....I've used the RCBS stuff too.....for 40 years. Then I bought a progressive, a Pro 2000, and realized there had to be a better, faster way to lube .223, .308, .243, 30-30, & .270 for the progressive....you get the picture.

First I tried the RCBS spray lube.....good stuff, but the fumes are on the toxic side. So then I tried a friend's Dillon spray lube....just dumped my brass in a shallow cardboard box and gave it a couple of squirts....shook the box...two more squirts and let it dry for a few minutes. This method gives you 200 rounds of super-lubed cases ready to be sized in a progressive.

Then I saw the thread I provided the link to in my last post...people sweared that it worked as good as the Dillon stuff.....so I tried it.

It was really hard to make....took a whole 5 minutes....most of which was heating the components in their own bottles in the double boiler. Most pleased....did indeed work as well as the Dillon stuff....only I have more than twice the amount in a bottle of Dillon Lube, and enough left in the bottles to make another batch.....the two bottles together cost me $10 and that was buying the lanolin local at $7.00.....internet sources are more like $4.00. (BTW, actually the small bottle of lanolin will make several batches....at 10 to 1 get lots of alcohol!)

But hey! Use the lube pad if you want....certainly works...and is plenty fast .... for a single station press.

Last edited by GWS; March 7, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:11 AM   #14
zxcvbob

Cabela's Spray Lube (available from Cabela's) is just like Dillon's but a dollar cheaper.

I made my own using 91% rubbing alcohol and castor oil in a spray bottle, but I don't think I mixed it rich enough. Haven't really tried it though; been in a reloading funk for a couple of months. Castor oil is an extreme pressure lube, and it dissolves completely in alcohol (without heating) even if there's a little water in it.

If you are OK with using something other than a spray, get a tin of Kiwi Mink Oil boot dressing. Put a little on your fingers and you'll get almost enough on the cases just by picking them up. Pick them up and roll them around just a little and you'll be golden.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:13 AM   #15
jeffreyulatan

I used cooking oil for a while until it turned rancid, and that was quite a nightmare.

Now I switched to use PB Blaster, or motor oil. Dab a little on a foam pad, load with several handfuls of brass, get some tufferware and shake!
Old March 7, 2013, 07:10 AM   #16
ATPBULLETS

anybody ever try synthetic bar and chain oil....?
what about marvels mystery oil...?
Old March 7, 2013, 07:20 AM   #17
rebs

I would try the alcohol and lanolin if I could find lanolin around here, but I can't. I have tried every drug store, health store and medical supply store with no luck. If I order it online I am back to paying shipping. If I could buy Dillon locally I would just try it but it is not available, so I am going to stay with RCBS and their lube pad.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:52 AM   #18
BigV

Quote:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/30...ds.html&page=1

This stuff is ever bit as good as Dillion.....pretty much the same thing....and super easy and cheap to make. I use 1-10 lanolin to alcohol.
I've been using this home made case lube for 3 or 4 years reloading .223 and .22-250. Never a stuck case and very inexpensive to make.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:39 PM   #19
GWS

Rebs: I went to Amazon and found

Now Foods Liquid Lanolin Pure - 4 oz
$7.83 Sold by: Nutricity

Alcohol 99% Isopropyl Pint
$7.25 Sold by: JDCSupplies

Those merchants are freight-Free.... $15.08 (one order to Amazon) pricier than when I ordered a few months ago....like everything else.

Still ... If you mix 1.5 oz of lanolin and 15 oz. of Alcohol then you can make fill two 8 OZ spray bottles (16.5 OZ of case lube) and have 2.5 OZ of lanolin left over.

One 8 OZ bottle of Dillon's product from Dillon is $8.95 plus $7.49 shipping....$16.44.

Last edited by GWS; March 7, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:21 PM   #20
reynolds357

Why the need to use everything but lube actually intended for reloading. In the tabulation of reloading costs, lube has to be the cheapest item in the equation. Fosters, the best stuff out there period, probably costs me 5 cents per 100 rounds of rifle brass to use.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:36 PM   #21
rebs

Quote:
Rebs: I went to Amazon and found

Now Foods Liquid Lanolin Pure - 4 oz
$7.83 Sold by: Nutricity

Alcohol 99% Isopropyl Pint
$7.25 Sold by: JDCSupplies

Those merchants are freight-Free.... $15.08 (one order to Amazon) pricier than when I ordered a few months ago....like everything else.
GWS thank you, I will order now