The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Phil Ossiferz Stone

25-06 load using 110-grain bullet & H414

In the present climate, buying new powders is all but impossible. No one foresaw Sandy Hook, or we all would have laid in good supplies of everything we need. But hog hunting season is rolling around, and all I have to load for my beloved 25-06 are two pounds of H414. Published loading data in the Speer and Hodgden manuals only goes up to a 100-grain bullet using that powder.

I would like to use Hornady 110-grain Interbond spitzers. I used them last year with good effect loading with good old H4831. Does anyone have any pet loads (or suggestions for a starting point) for that loading using H414?

Last edited by Phil Ossiferz Stone; March 5, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2
hooligan1

Phil, could you find some 100 grain Partitions? If so try those dudes, or maybe a Barnes TTSX bullet with the powder you have??/
Old March 6, 2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Phil Ossiferz Stone

I can't find *anything.* I'm also between contracts, so cash is thin. All I have is all I have. Sorry.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
William T. Watts

H414 is a double base powder

Whatever the min charge is for the 100gr bullets I would drop back a full 5% and work up as pressure permits. I usually load 3 rounds and work up in 1/2gr increments with a new powder.. Once I've found a load that shows promise I will work either side .3gr lower and .3 gr higher to fine tune to see if I can improve it. I should add a disclaimer, I would use a mag primer only with this particular powder, if you don't use a mag primer it doesn't burn clean.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; March 7, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5
Phil Ossiferz Stone

That's what I've heard you want for the ball powders -- mag primers. Shall do. Thanks.