The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 5, 2011, 11:15 AM   #1
OldMechEngr

Springfield M1A Magazine Fit Problem

I recently purchased a new Springfield Standard M1A with the black synthetic stock that does not accept a standard magazine (1.014 to 1.015 wide near the locking lug). Perhaps it is a common problem??

When the rifle is disassembled the magazine (sold by Springfield Armory with their logo) fits through the stock magazine well and it fits in the magazine slot in the receiver near the firing mechanism. However when I assemble the rifle the two tapered tabs on the trigger housing pull the sides of the stock’s magazine well together as it locks into place. The deflection is significant… about .020 inch reduction in the well's width near the firing mechanism.

A simple solution is to remove some material from the magazine well walls with a file or sandpaper (it will take only about .005 inches for proper clearance). A better solution maybe to install aligning dowels on the bottom of the two little tabs on the bottom of the trigger housing then machine mating holes into the bottom of the stock. The interlocking parts will prevent the sides of the stock from moving.

Has anyone done such a modification before? Of course changing the trigger housing will screw up the interchangeability of parts but how often do folks interchange rifle parts?
Old February 5, 2011, 12:48 PM   #2
RGPM1A

How hard is it to close the trigger guard on the trigger group to lock it into the rifle? If its more effort than a firm handshake its too tight and might be causing the deflection and the problem you are having.
Old February 5, 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
OldMechEngr

Actually it does not take much effort. I can open it with one finger and close it with one finger. I then have to "pop" it with the palm of my hand to snap the trigger guard into the slot in the trigger housing but by then the firing assembly is fully engaged. I measured the width of the magazine well before and after the palm slap and there was no difference in width.
Old February 5, 2011, 01:11 PM   #4
RGPM1A

Try this forum. you will definitely get help there probably just by doing a search.

http://m14tfl.com/upload/index.php
Old February 5, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5
geetarman

I have a loaded M1A with the composite stock. The factory magazine that came with the rifle fit just fine.

I bought some of what I thought were Winchester magazines from Cheaper Than Dirt that turned out to be knockoffs.

I also worked on the stock trying to get the magazines to fit thinking the composite stock was the problem.

I found out that when I took the action out of the stock, the magazines from CTD still did not fit. Mine were oversize on the width and would not slide down the channel in the action. The original factory mag would fit fine.

I ended up working on the rear sides if the magazines to get them to fit. It took some elbow grease to do it.

Then, I found this site:http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.htm

This company makes the magazines for Springfield. I bought four of them and they fit just like the factory original and they are not as expensive.

Hope this works for you.

Geetarman
Old February 5, 2011, 04:11 PM   #6
OldMechEngr

Thanks Geetarman and RPGM1A,

I do not think the magazine is the problem... I have measured it and it is 1.014/1.015 wide which is within spec. and it fits into the receiver when the receiver is out of the stock. But, before I start sanding away I will visit (and register) at http://m14tfl.com/upload/index.php.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses.
Old February 6, 2011, 02:39 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...fits through the stock magazine well and it fits in the magazine slot..." You have just the one mag? Sounds like the bedding is off a bit. I'd open the stock's mag well by the 20 thou(10 on either side), if the rifle is out of warrantee. If it's still under warrantee, call Springfield. 1-800-680-6866
Old February 6, 2011, 11:37 AM   #8
OldMechEngr

Good morning (hey, it is Oregon time). I have 4 magazines, 3 of them are SA brand and they all measure between 1.011 and 1.015 inches wide. I have a goofball D&D thermomold that measures 1.025 (probably will not feed correctly anyway). So I will open up the well a bit. Probably will end up buying another stock anyway. There seems to be a lot of options.

Thanks

Tags
m1a , magazine , springfield armory