The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 26, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1
JR3149

Wyoming Antelope Hunt help!

Can anyone lead me in the right direction to hunt antelope in Wyoming?

I'm looking for public walk-in areas to hunt antelope...any suggestions on a starting point? Anyone been to Wyoming to hunt antelope? Where in the state is the best to go?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 26, 2006, 11:33 PM   #2
yorec

Every year...

Out of state license appls are due now - get on it if you want to hunt in 06.

SW of the state is where I live - lots of antelope and most all on public land. But public land bucks are smaller on average - no "No Tresspassing" signs to protect 'em.

Not familiar with other parts of the state - never had the need to travel for a decent speed goat.

Any specific questions?
Old March 4, 2006, 11:21 AM   #3
JR3149

I've never been antelope hunting before, so I'm open to any suggestions...

Can you drive vehicles on public/walk-in areas? truck or 4 wheeler?

It appears that I have to purchase a license for a particular area of the state...how do I determine which area took the highest percentage of antelope bucks?

Along with the "highest percentage," which area has the most public area to hunt? I don't know anyone in Wyoming, so I'll be driving in and staying at a motel...I want to get in on public land that will give me a large area to stalk and find bucks.

What's the best rifle and caliber?
Any "must need" equipment to bring?

Thanks for the help.
Old March 4, 2006, 05:08 PM   #4
WYO

You may want to check out this thread. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr.../page/0#763412
Old March 5, 2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Jack O'Conner

The area between Gillette and Sundance has more amtelope than people. At least a 10 to 1 ratio in favor of antelope. Plenty of public land access.
Jack
Old March 8, 2006, 12:04 AM   #6
yorec

Good link, Wyo.

As for telling which is public and which is private land - a good BLM map helps wonders. Contact them for one in the area you choose to go - http://www.wy.blm.gov/

Quote:
Can you drive vehicles on public/walk-in areas? truck or 4 wheeler?
yes - but you have to stick to the road. As long as there is a dirt road, you're OK. I think it's 100 yards you can leave the road to recover downed game. No dunebuggying about on your 4 wheeler or truck, exploring - except in specific areas. Again, contact the BLM for specifics.
Quote:
how do I determine which area took the highest percentage of antelope bucks?
Wyoming Game and Fish Harvest reports. Here ya go, from 2001 to 2004: http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunti...vest/index.asp
Quote:
What's the best rifle and caliber?
Totally subjective. But a rifle must be of at least .23 caliber to be legal for big game in Wyo. Bring what you shoot best that meets that. If you have a selection though - I prefer midsized highpower cartidges such as the .243 win, .308 win, 25-06, .270, 30-06, etc.
Quote:
Any "must need" equipment to bring?
A camera and what you need to care for the meat!

I hunted antelope when in collge with my .270, a pocket knife, my Z-28 Camero, and a handful of ammo. And antelope just fits in a '79 Camero's trunk. Shoulda brought some trash bags to line it and keep the blood off...

Course that was a bare bones, basic hunt. I'd never suggest such to anyone for a trip - but I was a kid out in my backyard...
Old March 8, 2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Csspecs

Get a range finder. If you are from a state with trees like me, most of the time it looks like 200 yards and its more like 500. Other than that a sun shade for your scope would be wise as I found glare to be a problem. Also a good wide hat as most of the state is open you will have a sun burn like no other.
Old March 12, 2006, 10:39 PM   #8
JR3149

We're looking at getting licensed in units near Buffalo, WY. Is there decent opportunity to get onto public land there? I see a lot of BLM land in this area, but I'm concerned about access to it. I've heard that many of these areas can't be accessed because of landowners that surround the public land and there simply is NO access.

Let me know what you think. Buffalo is close to Gillette...I appreciate your input.
Old March 14, 2006, 06:32 PM   #9
coy448

Jr....

Hi, new to the site and saw the thread on antelope. We are also out of state hunters (from CT) who hunt WY every year for the last 3 yrs. Wish I read your post earlier so we could direct you to easy accessible public land in area 32 which is south of Casper. We have had very good luck there - filled all our tags every year even did good sage grouse hunting there. We are using .243 W and .270 WSM. Took antelopes from 100 yds to 350 yds with enough power - think the best shot is on double lungs, dropped the antelopes immediately from both rifles. Definately need a range finder - tough to judge distances. Bring sunscreen and lip protection - the sun gets hot and it's very dry. 4 wheeled vehicle is great to have and if there is too much hunting pressure, which could happen, don't be afraid to take long walks in the areas where there are no dirt roads...that's where the antelopes hide. Hope you do well and hope we helped.....