The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 26, 2014, 01:22 PM   #1
dugsok

stickey chamber

I have a Zastava cz999 in 40 cal a real good shooter however some spent rounds don't eject as they should , like I put spent round in chamber , it has to be pulled out, while a new round will fall out, other pistols I have a spent round will fall out.
My question is . should i wet sand the chrome lined chamber just a tad or just grease the hell out of it .
Thanks Doug
Old July 26, 2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's not at all unusual for a fired case to not easily fit back in a semi-auto hand gun. You could also be experiencing a dangerous over-pressure condition.

Are you saying that the rounds don't actually eject when fired or just that if you put one back in after firing it's tight? If the latter, who cares?

Absolutely do not "sand" your chamber or use grease.

The most I would advise (and have done several time) is to use a bore mop that fits snugly in the chamber and run it in a cordless drill with Flitz polish. Flitz will not cause a detectable change in chamber size but will polish it to a mirror finish.
Old July 26, 2014, 02:07 PM   #3
dugsok

stickey chamber

Thanks Brian I am going to do like you say--makes good sense
Thanks Doug
Old July 26, 2014, 02:19 PM   #4
tangolima

Is extractor fit OK? It should have positive engagement angle and adequate spring out.

-TL
Old July 26, 2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

This does sound like it could be an extractor problem, either worn from a lot of rounds, or maybe a weak spring, or the spring and extractor hole/slot gummed up and dirty. Try a thorough cleaning first.
Old July 26, 2014, 04:45 PM   #6
10-96

Quote:
I put spent round in chamber
I'm with the others- if you're placing (with your fingers) an empty case in the chamber WITH the slide locked to the rear- and then not seeing the empty fall out on it's own... I don't see a problem with that nor the need to do anything at all. Now if you're chambering an empty, letting the slide go forward, racking the slide, and not seeing the round extracted and ejected- that would be a problem... maybe. If the pistol works fine while firing, I would leave well enough alone.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 26, 2014, 04:50 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Agree with 10-96. I don't see an issue.

Remember that "spent" rounds have expanded. Naturally they will be hard to put back into the chamber without resizing.
Old July 27, 2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
however some spent rounds don't eject as they should
By the above, it sounds like he saying its not extracting spent cartridges while firing sometimes. All spent rounds are swelled, and are tighter than an un-fired round, but both should extract, especially a spent round. If they don't, then that sounds like the hook on the extractor is worn or damaged, the spring pressure has weakened, or it is too dirty for the extractor or spring to work correctly. First thing I would do is thoroughly clean the extractor recess in the slide, and at the barrel, and the hole for the spring, and the components themselves. I have seen some so gummed up that the spring can't work correctly, or the extractor can't fully grab the round over dirt in the barrel's extractor recess, or from gunk in the extractor's slide recess. If that don't do it, examine the extractor hook, and the spring.

One thing to do is, while firing each round, check to see if the extractor looks to have fully seated itself into the extraction groove on the cartridge. If it doesn't, then something is holding it back.