The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Norrick

shell holder regular vs. extended

i've read that the extended shell holders are required for a trimming die.

I have a carbide 3 piece set, sizer/decapper, expanding, and seating.

What is the trimming die for exactly? Should I get the extended shell holder for later down the road if I find use for one?

I'm using a RCBS rock chucker supreme, so it has a bit of a longer stroke, I figure the extended shell holder might make reloading a little more convenient.

I'm pretty much diving head first into this, I have not reloaded anything yet, so if anything I ask in the next couple days makes no sense, sorry.

Also, do you guys recommend Hornady's 7th Edition or Lee's 2nd Edition (manuals) ?

I was going to go with hornady but there are some reviews saying there are errors in the print, some books come with corrections included and others you have to make a print out yourself.

If it makes a difference, I have a Super Redhawk Alaskan, I plan on using 45 colt data in casull shells for practice and HD, and I might possibly move up to casull data if I decide to pick up a Puma 92 in .454 (I hear those are discontinued so they won't be around much longer). For the most part I am sticking to factory ammo for the real heavy stuff, since there is no practical need in my area.

I also have a Remington 700 in .308, and I'll save my brass, but I really would rather not get into necked case reloading... yet.

Last edited by Norrick; December 26, 2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old December 26, 2008, 07:04 AM   #2
DaveInPA

Certain dies require an extended shell holder. The RCBS competition seating die comes to mind. Their dies that require one include one. Just use a standard shellholder for your standard dies.
Old December 26, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3
kraigwy

Quote:
What is the trimming die for exactly?
Its what the name implies. But not to replace you case trimmer. Trim dies are used to cut down excess brass when converting one case for something else. An example, the 30 Herritt is made from a 30-30 case. You run the case into the die, cut the excess of with a hack saw or what ever, then put the case in you case trimmer finish it up.

Another Use I had for a trim die was when I was shooting for the guard. The wanted us to turn in our 308 brass which we were always shot of. I got a trim die in 308 and used it to wack off the tops of 308 blanks (which there was tons of) and turned them in in leu of the 308 match brass. The ammo supply people counldnt tell the differance.

I wouldnt worry about getting an extended shell holder. If you buy trim die for the 30 Herritt, Auto mag, etc, Or the RCBS competition die set, its gonna come with the extended shell holder.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 26, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
wncchester

"The ammo supply people counldnt tell the differance."

Suspect they could and did, they just didn't care. The C.S. people above them would have had no idea but I bet those who actually recived the cases did but didn't want to hassle yawl about it.
Old December 26, 2008, 01:39 PM   #5
wncchester

"The ammo supply people counldnt tell the differance."

Suspect they could and did, they just didn't care. The C.S. people above them would have had no idea but I bet those who actually recived the cases did but didn't want to hassle yawl about it.

Trim dies are to trim, period. It's up to the owner if he wishes to use it in lue of a standard trimmer. I do both, depending on my mood and how many cases I have to process.

Extended shell holders are really only needed with short cases.