The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 7, 2008, 12:30 PM   #1
toybox99615

Firingline bogus e-mail

hopefully the mods will know where to fwd this.

I have received a number of e-mails lately from someone who claims to be a firingline member. They keep asking for some dimensions from various pistols. Today/s email was something about building a 32 caliber pistol.

From my experience with computer security it appears this person has hacked into the forum and managed to obtain a number of email address from the members. The to: line shows a number of different members addresses.

Has anyone else been receiving the same e-mails?

I have retained the email in case the mods would like me to forward it to them.
Old April 7, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Darren007

Are sure they "hacked" in to the firingline forum or did they just look at your public profile. I just checked yours and it gave me your email address with one click of the mouse. He may have just looked at a bunch of profiles, got the addresses and sent a group email out hoping for an answer.
Old April 7, 2008, 03:13 PM   #3
toybox99615

based on the email address

I doubt he just copied my address along with dozens of others in alphabetical order. I should have been a bit clearer in my description. He might have hacked into the address data or he might have a hacking type or spaming program in which he enter the data base to send mail to a lot of the site members. Or there are a number of other possibilities. By looking at the address line in the email I have seen multiple consecutive (alphabetical) mail address in the message. However he got the email address is somewhat irrelevant. The issue is he is sending the same message to numerous members.

I'm actually surprised no-one else has reported this. I have received at least four different e-mails from the same person. Each asked for different information on specific measurements of different revolver cylinders.

I'm sure no gunsmith so I have no reason to believe he is selectively emailing experts on this site who are.
Old April 7, 2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

As you said, how he got the emails is somewhat immaterial (I'm fairly certain he didn't hack our system), but why he wants the info isn't. Why not PM or email back asking why he wants to know the info he is looking for.

The member is "syamsunder" and is apparently from India. If you look at his threads and posts you may come to the same conclusion I did, and that is - "What??!!"