The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 24, 2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Keithg

Dedicated purpose?

For those of you that carry, does your carry gun double as your nightstand/bedside/whatever you want to call it gun? Or, do you have dedicated guns for each duty?
Old April 24, 2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I have had guns dedicated to various roles in the past. Currently, though, my CC pistol does double duty as the HD pistol.
Old April 24, 2015, 02:30 PM   #3
jmr40

I have a lot of handguns ranging in size from a tiny Kel-Tec 380 up to 44 magnum revolvers. I mostly carry either a G-19, G-23, or G-26. Any of those could easily do double duty. I COULD make the Kel-Tec or the J frame Smith work as a bedside gun but I have better choices so I don't.

I also own a G-21 in 45 ACP as well as a few 1911's. I like the guns, but they are bigger than I really care for to carry. Those are usually kept as bedside guns. The G-21 has a light mounted on it and is quickly accessible all the time so it has become the default house or bedside gun.

I don't feel as though a separate gun is really needed, but since I have them, why not use them.
Old April 24, 2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Loronzo

Mine do double duty. That way I always know where they are, either on me or right beside me on the nightstand
Old April 24, 2015, 02:40 PM   #5
psyfly

I'm in the process of changing my CC from a Kahr PM9 to a Kel Tec P11 (solely for the capacity increase) and it goes with me when the bedside is also away from home.

At home on the bedside table (whether I'm there or not) is a Tristar t100 (CZ copy from Canik).
Old April 24, 2015, 03:04 PM   #6
TailGator

My carry pistol, with a spare mag, does double duty. The others are in the safe. I am in the habit of placing the pistol, spare mag, and a decent flashlight in the same order in the drawer of the bedside stand every night so I can lay my hands on them in the dark, and I use the same arrangement in hotel rooms.
Old April 25, 2015, 09:25 AM   #7
BUFF

I have several that serve a single purpose for different situations specifically for their different attributes. My nightstand gun has a de cocker and is SA/DA with a long trigger pull to discourage curious kids. I have a Kel tec that rides in the truck. A 1911 safe queen that only goes to the range. And my XD that I usually carry.
Old April 25, 2015, 10:16 AM   #8
TailGator

Quote:
My nightstand gun has a de cocker and is SA/DA with a long trigger pull to discourage curious kids.
I hope a long trigger pull isn't your only precaution against curious kids.
Old April 25, 2015, 10:22 AM   #9
BUFF

No. But one would have to flip the safety, then pull vey long on a decent heavy trigger to get it to fire. Plus my boy is never far out of sight and not in bedroom without me in there. I know the risk.
Old April 25, 2015, 03:15 PM   #10
old bear

Quote:
does your carry gun double as your nightstand/bedside/whatever
Most of the time no. My bedside revolver is a K frame .357 Magnum. My normal concealed carry revolver is a model 640 -1 J frame.

As much as I like the K frame magnums, in most cases they are a little to big for true concealed carry. When I can get away with discrete carry, I generally go with one of my .357 Magnum K frames.
Old April 25, 2015, 03:36 PM   #11
Bob Wright

I keep guns stashed around my house loaded and ready, including my work shop. My Ruger that I carry every day is cleared when I take it off and remains empty until I put it back on again.

Bob Wright
Old April 25, 2015, 04:43 PM   #12
WC145

I have different guns for different duties. My house/nightstand gun is a Springfield MC Operator 1911 with a Streamlight TLR-1. I have another Springfield, a 1911 GI Mil-Spec, that I carry when working around my property, mowing, bush hogging, etc.. And, I have a few different size Colt 1911s that are CC guns and a S&W snubby for when a 1911 won't fit.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old April 25, 2015, 09:47 PM   #13
BigMikey76

I just started carrying, and my guns are definitely pulling double duty. My EDC for the time being is my PT111 G2, and I just got a P-07 that will be pressed into carry service as soon as I have a holster for it. I'll carry one or the other based on the day's needs, and the other will stay at the house. My wife doesn't want to carry (I'm working on her, but it may take a while ), but she does know how to shoot, and whichever one I am not carrying will be there for her when I'm out, just in case.
Old April 26, 2015, 08:37 AM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

Usually what I carry in the day time is my nightstand as well. I carry the following: Glock 19 & 42. P226. Or P229.

The SA TRP Operator is a boat anchor. So that's HD only.

The M&P 45 I'm getting this week will probably be carried. I got it because I also want a .45 to carry as well as night stand.
Old April 26, 2015, 09:40 AM   #15
jaughtman

Yes.

Mine serve several dedicated purposes - but that is mostly so I can justify buying lots of guns. LOL. My bedside gun - an HK P7 could just as easily be my carry gun. But I like to know that is never leaves the bedside table drawer. And that means I HAD to get another dedicated daily carry gun - in this case either my BHP or PPK depending on my mode of dress that day. For what it is worth, and how I justify that being its' dedicated role (so I mostly buy more guns, remember) is that it is safety-less and pretty much works as soon as you pick it up (as long as you squeeze the grip safety). SO, when I wake up groggy in the middle of the night there are no safeties to fumble with when I investigate that noise. But once again, it could also easily go into a holster to be carried throughout the day......

J
Old April 26, 2015, 09:51 PM   #16
Arizona Fusilier

I have different guns for different purposes. "EDC", at least in my case, tends to ride in the console of the truck. As opposed to concealed carry, different guns for that for the most part. The CC guns do tend to be "nightstand guns", but I would really grab the Mossberg if it came to that.
Old April 26, 2015, 10:36 PM   #17
skizzums

no. mine usually doesn't unless I pass out on the couch. I like to keep my EDC in it's holster and gets put with my work clothes for the morning, if I don't sometimes i'll make it to the car and have to go back inside to get my gun, then holster it and make my morning more of a pain in the a@#(I leave for work at 3:25am, yeah.... it sucks)..... plus, I admittedly shoot the full size sa/da better than the little G2, although very competent with both, no reason to be handicapped at home with capacity or accuracy. but my 300blk AR pistol is almost as close to me as my 9mm while I sleep, so if I have any warning, i'm grabbing the "rifle"...
Old April 27, 2015, 02:01 AM   #18
11mm

On person carry gun no,
but sometimes the nightstand gun pulls double duty as a car gun.
Old April 27, 2015, 03:36 AM   #19
Waspinator

Although all my guns can be used for self defense, there is only one that I consider my self defense firearm. My SP101 is my EDC and also my bedside/night stand gun (sits in a quit access safe, in arms reach, while I sleep). It is the gun that I train with the most, so it is the gun I'm most familiar with of all my firearms. Ever range trip, it is on my hip and gets shot, without exception. All the other guns are for range fun.
Old April 27, 2015, 04:40 AM   #20
hartcreek

Sometimes yes but I could as well have two or three right next to my bed...currently I have both my Uberti Walker and my Star Model B next to my pillow. Which will I grab....just depends on my mood.
Old April 27, 2015, 05:10 AM   #21
Mobuck

Nope. I have a duplicate that I carry inside the house and use as a "nightstand" pistol.
Old April 27, 2015, 06:06 AM   #22
CajunBass

Sometimes. Depends on how lazy I am when I go to bed.

Even when I pull something else out of the safe, my carry gun is right there too.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 27, 2015, 10:17 AM   #23
dannyb

My EDC is variable depending on season and dress. My nightstand gun is the S&W Model 19 that I've had for over 30 years. I still practice with it, I know its feel in the light or darkness, it has my full confidence. The 4" barrel doesn't make it a good carry piece, but when I'm in the bedroom and need to check something out, the Model 19 is in my hand.
Old April 27, 2015, 10:34 AM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

my carry gun has shot more Skunks, Raccoons, & Opossums, than almost any other, as it's always on me when I'm out working on the farm, cutting wood, etc.

as far as home defense... that gun would make sure I could get to my walk in gun safe room, that is 10 ft from my bed, then there are much better home defense guns at my disposal there...
Old April 27, 2015, 10:37 AM   #25
Axelwik

I travel for work a lot, so when I travel one usually does double duty. At home I have dedicated ones.