The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 14, 2015, 08:29 PM   #1
bricz75

Remington 783: Hear anything in the past several months?

The last thread about the new-ish Remington 783 was several months ago. Has anyone heard anything about the reliability or durability of this model in recent times?
Old May 14, 2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Lucas McCain

I acquired a Rem 783 action that got backed over by a loaded grain truck. Bent the barrel and broke the stock. I bought it for a donor action to build a 6XC. The first thing I did was to square up the action. I have built a few rifles on the Rem 700 action and a couple on the 788 action. The quality of the 783 was absolutely fantastic. From front to back, inside and outside the breach it didn't vary any more than .0002 of an inch. The bolt was the same way. The threads in the breach for the barrel had 0 run out, centered perfectly. The only thing I had to do was lap the lugs.
The 700 actions vary as much .010-.014 a inch. That action is a real high quality piece. I only wish the trigger was as good, but then it was designed as a hunting rifle, not a varmint rifle.
This is the first one I have ever had my hands on, but what i have seen it is not short on quality.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:51 PM   #3
Rmart30

I picked up a 783 in the 308 compact model. So far no complaints from me on it. Hunting accuracy is fine. I have not run a lot of loads thru it to see what groups best in it. Aftermarket stock and barrels already out for them.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:00 AM   #4
bricz75

Quote:
Aftermarket stock and barrels already out for them.
The stock barrel is thicker than it's competitors'.
Old May 18, 2015, 08:41 PM   #5
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Let's all hope it has the success of the 788!
Old May 18, 2015, 08:51 PM   #6
bricz75

Quote:
Let's all hope it has the success of the 788!
Especially if that investment company unloads Rem.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:40 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

My preferred gun shop has only sold 3 of them since release. Of those three, two went back to Remington due to inletting issues.

Many other people have looked at the trio of 783s that he keeps in stock, but most people end up buying a Savage or a Howa after handling the 783s.

Quote:
The quality of the 783 was absolutely fantastic. From front to back, inside and outside the breach it didn't vary any more than .0002 of an inch. The bolt was the same way. The threads in the breach for the barrel had 0 run out, centered perfectly. The only thing I had to do was lap the lugs.
That made me laugh out loud.
...Because so many people talk nothing but smack about the Marlin X7s. Yet, the Remington 783 is nothing but an X7 with a new dress and some lipstick.

But, some of us know the truth.
(....Owner of multiple X7s, more than one of which was bought solely as a donor for a project.)
Old May 19, 2015, 04:21 PM   #8
bricz75

Quote:
My preferred gun shop has only sold 3 of them since release. Of those three, two went back to Remington due to inletting issues.
Not too encouraging. Perhaps they were among the first ones released stores.

Quote:
Because so many people talk nothing but smack about the Marlin X7s. Yet, the Remington 783 is nothing but an X7 with a new dress and some lipstick.
Interesting...The 783's receiver has a smaller ejection port.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:05 PM   #9
Colorado Redneck

The local shop had a Marlin X7Y that I picked up a month or so back, chambered in 243 Win. Only put about 16 or so rounds of Hornady factory ammo thru it, but the last group of 3 was under an inch. Seems like a slick little rifle for an old fart to use for the rest of his life. If the Remingtons are really the X7 in a different dress they should be fine.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:04 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricz75
Interesting...The 783's receiver has a smaller ejection port.
Lipstick.

Parts and/or dimensions taken from the X7s for the Rem 783s: ...because Remington couldn't handle having their subsidiary out-sell their own budget rifle:
Barrel nut (external appearance slightly different, but otherwise identical).
Recoil lug.
Barrel shank.
Bolt head (and extractor, extractor spring, extractor detent ball, ejector, ejector spring, ejector pin, and bolt pin).
Receiver locking lugs and bolt races.
Receiver tang.
Receiver feed lips and ramp.
Magazine box, follower, and spring. (Though the magazine box loses the rear mount lug, and all of the parts are housed in a detachable body.)
Trigger group (including safety, bolt stop/release, and all accompanying receiver dimensions and cuts; and striker geometry to match).

Basically, what Remington did was change the length of the action (necessitating a different bolt body); add a new striker and bolt shroud; mill the receiver to look different, cost less to produce, and use Rem 700 bases; put the front receiver screw in a different location; use slightly different barrel contours; and add a different stock that uses detachable magazines.

A new dress and some lipstick.

Edit:
This, of course, means that you can use 'pre-fit' Savage small shank barrels on 783 actions, just as you can with Marlin X7s. You may, however, run into the same problem that some X7 owners see: Savage's bolt face is not recessed as far as the X7/783 bolt face, so some barrels may contact the bolt face before proper headspace is achieved. To fix the issue, the barrel must be faced (trimmed) by about 0.010".

Last edited by FrankenMauser; May 21, 2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old May 21, 2015, 05:23 AM   #11
Picher

Good information. Thanks!
Old May 21, 2015, 08:17 PM   #12
bricz75

@frankenmauser: Thanks
Old May 23, 2015, 12:34 PM   #13
hooligan1

Somebody has been burning the "midnight oil" studying that new Remington 783,(FrankenMauser), are the two rifles made in the same factory? With all that resemblances, they may have been looking to improve one X7, whilest not implying it wasn't everything it could've been....,,,hmmmm.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:09 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

The 783 is built in the same facility that was previously building the X7s - in Mayfield Kentucky.