The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 19, 2014, 04:50 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Please give me the details of BP guns based on 1870 or older designs.

I want the company name, model names and any links for BP guns (preferably long guns) that are built to designs from 1870 or older.

Can you help?

Thanks.
Old October 19, 2014, 08:06 AM   #2
bedbugbilly

That's kind of a tall order . . .

A Google search should give you dealers for such guns . . . a few that come to mind would be . . .

Military Style BP rifles -

S & S Firearms
Winchester Sutler
Lodgewood Mfg.

all of those have U.S. Military rifle repros - or go to the North-South Skirmish Association site (N-SSA) and look at their link page

Others that come to mind are the usual -

for handguns - Uberti, Pietta, Cimmarron, Taylor, etc.

Pre 1870 I am assuming that you are more interested in muzzle-loading instead of cartridge?

Another link would be the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA). See if they have a link page to those that deal/make civilian style muzzle loading rifles

A starter would be Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf, Log Cabin Shop, etc.

There are also a lot of good custom builders out there for civilian style rifles - flintlock and percussion.

Perhaps narrow your search down or be a little more specific on what exactly it is you are looking for would be a help as well.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 19, 2014, 09:10 AM   #3
BillM

Uberti make a replica of the 1866 Winchester.
There are also replicas of the Henry out there.

Cabelas (and others) sell many variations of the
Sharps paper cutter rifles.

I believe the Spenser, Burnside and Smith carbines
have been re-produced.

You want to narrow your search a bit? Why are you asking and
which particular local rules are you dealing with?

Last edited by BillM; October 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old October 19, 2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Barnacle Brad

Pedersoli

Shiloh Rifle

C Sharps

Hope you have a decent budget!
Old October 19, 2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Pond, James Pond

I don't need them all, so only a few examples for now would suffice.

I want to have some details that I can put to the authorities here to see what the law says about these guns. There are clauses in the law I want clarified.

Muzzle-loading or cartridge is fine, but they design must be from 1870 or before!! That is a threshold between which firearms are fully governed by the firearms act and which have few limitations imposed.

What you've provided already helps.
Old October 19, 2014, 03:47 PM   #6
BillM

Should be interesting how this plays out. The case can be made that
many modern firearms are derived from designs that originated before
1870. Please keep us informed!

The Peabody rifle. designed in the early 1860's, is arguably the design
used in all rifles with the block hinged at the rear. That will include
all versions of the Martini.

The origins of bolt action rifles go back to the 1824 Dreyse, and there was
the 1860's Greene bolt action as well as others.
Old October 19, 2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Da_swed

Longguns u have the sharps.gallger. burnside .maynard and the smith crbines all pre 1870s designs that use papper and or metalic cartrridges but the use a cap to ignite the cartridges so they are not considerd modern gastight ammo .Revolvers u have cap n ball once for example remington new army models colt army n colt navy u also have rogers & spencer revolvers my favorit i own an original one but the all are made brand new copies of the old revolvers
2 such as pietta uberti euroarms and such also all pre 1870s designs
Old October 19, 2014, 05:51 PM   #8
BillM

Remington Rolling Block is based on an early 1860's design.
It made the transition to smokeless, and was manufactured
into the 20th century. Currently there are several companies
that make replicas. Great design. Limited moving parts,
very simple and robust. Used by a LONG list of countries
as a military rifle.
Old October 19, 2014, 09:01 PM   #10
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Uberti makes a replica of both the 1860 Henry rifle and the 1866 Winchester.

The Henry rifle was the predecessor of all the later Winchester lever action rifles. It was produced by the New Haven Arms Company. The design was patented in 1860, actual production did not start in earnest until about 1862. Production ended in 1866 with the introduction of the 1866 Winchester. The originals fired the 44 caliber Henry Rimfire round, a copper cased round carrying about 28 grains of Black Powder and a 200 grain bullet. This was the first successful lever action repeating rifle, although it was in part based on the earlier Volcanic rifle.

http://www.uberti.com/1860-henry-rifle

Since the Henry round is no longer commercially produced, the current replicas are chambered for 44-40 and 45 Colt. These rounds are slightly longer than the original Henry round, carrying more powder and producing more power.

Here is a photo of my replica Henry. Mine has the 'iron' frame, actually steel. Most of the originals had bronze frames. Mine is chambered for 44-40, I only shoot it with Black Powder, and I shot it today in the last Cowboy match of the year.

Uberti also produces a replica of the 1866 Winchester.

http://www.uberti.com/1866-yellowboy-rifle

Oliver Winchester was the chief stock holder of the New Haven Arms Company, and in 1866 he changed the name of the company to Winchester Repeating Arms Company after a dispute with Benjamin Tyler Henry, the designer of the Henry rifle. The 1866 Winchester also fired the 44 caliber Henry Rimfire round. Modern replicas are chambered for 44-40, 45 Colt or 38 Special. The 1866 Winchester was the first rifle to employ the King's Patent side loading gate that was used on almost all the later Winchester lever action rifles. It was also the first lever gun to have a wooden fore end. Because of the brass frame, it was often referred to as the Yellow Boy. Not to be confused with the 22 caliber Golden Boy rifle currently produced by the company that masquerades as the original Henry company. The Model 1866 Winchester was produced from 1866 until 1898.

Uberti also makes a replica of the Winchester Model 1873, but that is after your cut off date.

http://www.uberti.com/1873-rifle-and-carbine

Although all of these rifles can be fired with Smokeless powder, they were designed during the Black Powder era and all originally fired cartridges loaded with Black Powder.
Old October 20, 2014, 02:41 AM   #11
Pond, James Pond

Great everyone.

This is plenty to work with for now!!
Old October 20, 2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Jim Watson

Driftwood makes an important point.
Most of the modern replicas of pre 1870 cartridge firearms have been "updated" as to ammunition. Many were large caliber rimfires which have not been made for 50-100 years. His 1860 Henry reproduction actually shoots the 1873 vintage .44-40 cartridge which is still in production, not the original .44 Henry Flat which has not been made in a very long time.

Also, the Trapdoor Springfield is an 1866 design, but the reloadable and modernly shootable centerfires came out in 1870 and 1873.

I don't know how this will affect their legality in your system, but you should find out.

At one time in France, a 19th century Colt Single Action Army .45 was a lightly regulated antique but only if shot with black powder. Load it with smokeless, and voila, monsieur, you have a modern weapon.
Old October 20, 2014, 02:18 PM   #13
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I don't know how this will affect their legality in your system, but you should find out
Which is the reason for trying to get some real models for them to assess and classify within the law.

A few from the options posted so far, cartridge or M-L, should be enough to shed some light.