The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 23, 2001, 01:42 PM   #1
steve_at_greenacres

Bullpup (and vs Scout)

Scenario: New house, looooong driveway, no neighbors. Limited weapon experience.

Need: Home protection and just in case weapon.

Want: Not a shotgun.

Question: Which is the best combo of price and ease of maintenance/use in a bullpup?

And, what about vs. a scout?

Thanks,
New Guy
Old September 23, 2001, 01:59 PM   #2
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Hey, Steve! Welcome to TFL.

The main complaints I have heard about bullpups have been smoke in face when rapid firing, and "mushy" trigger pulls. To that, you can add cost- about the only cost-effective BP's I've seen in the last few years have been the Bushmaster (around $6-700, or so) and the Mossberg bullpup PUMP-ACTION shotgun.

If you can find the Bushmaster, you'll have a short arm with a nice barrel length (for lots of "oomph" with a .223- makes even FMJ effective).

If you want to be able to handle multiple inbound hostiles, I wouldn't get a bolt-action. Scouts are designed to be good "general purpose" rifles, not dedicated defensive guns. Think a good stalking rifle, as opposed to fending off the Mongol Hord.
Old September 23, 2001, 02:05 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

First, learn to safely handle & shoot long guns. Not bein' sassy at all - a good place to start.

"no neighbors" is a stretch for a bullet that can travel upwards of three miles or so ... something to think about.

Coupla questions/answers'll help ... plan on doing any hunting, etc. - other uses besides as stated? Budget? Could matter.

Scouts are (can be) pricey & FAIK, bull-pups are pretty much specialty rifles that have their own "problems" with linkage (fairly crappy triggers, etc.) - but I'm no answer wizard on either. My 'scout's" a tweaked off-the-shelf Rem 7

Hey. You're not just trying to justify buying a nifty rifle - are you?