The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 18, 2008, 12:51 PM   #1
2nd.amnd

New Uberti Walker Problem?

Hi, New to the forums, but not new to blackpowder or cap and ball revolvers.

I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Uberti Walker, and I was excited to find it on my doorstep at lunchtime today. My enthusiasm was tempered a bit when I removed it from it's box and took a look at it. Overall it is beautiful, which is what I expected from my first Uberti purchase. However, the locking notches on the cylinder have me a bit concerned. It looks as though someone has been cocking it quite a bit and maybe it is out of time?

Do these locking notches look ok to you guys? It's certainly not what I was expecting from a brand new revolver. I'm not really thrilled about the prospect of sending it back and waiting again, but I'm not sure this is the right way to start a relationship with my new baby.

Any opinions or advice you can offer will be much appreciated. Thanks Guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0035.jpg (66.5 KB, 161 views)
Old December 18, 2008, 02:21 PM   #2
mykeal

Not good.

I'm not sure the gun is out of time. Clearly the bolt head is contacting the cylinder early and being released a bit late. It could be a loose trigger/bolt spring screw, a weak spring or even a damaged spring. This can be easily checked by removing the grips, the backstrap and then the trigger guard.

I don't think these marks were caused by improper technique (lowering the hammer from half cock without going completely back to full cock, for instance) as that would most likely produce a full cylinder ring rather than damage around the stop notches.

I hate to say it, but I'd return the gun. It's not brand new.
Old December 18, 2008, 03:05 PM   #3
2nd.amnd

Thanks a million. That was the feeling I had, but I am quite literally obsessive-compulsive, and I like to get a second opinion.

Down to the UPS office this evening...
Old December 18, 2008, 03:29 PM   #4
sundance44s

With out a doubt ...you paid for new ...you should have new ...That Walker has been played with ...
Old December 18, 2008, 04:23 PM   #5
BugSlayer

Got a question

If you don't mind telling, where did you buy your revolver? I might want to avoid them when purchasing.
Old December 18, 2008, 11:05 PM   #6
2nd.amnd

No, I don't mind telling at all. It was Midway. I wasn't really shopping for a Walker at all, but they had it on sale for the holidays.

I have had minor glitches with orders from Midway before, and they always go out of their way to set things right. I don't anticipate any problems from them.
Old December 19, 2008, 04:36 AM   #7
Rusty.it

Just a question, a new uberti in the box must be enclosed in a plastic bag and greased with the same hard grease of machinist tool, if it's perfect clean mean that someone have used it , may be for display use only, yours was in that condition?
All the gun are fire tested here in Italy for our law before they are put on selling, so every revolver are fired, at least one or two times for proof test, then cleaned greased and send to distribution!
ciao
Rusty
Old December 19, 2008, 07:51 AM   #8
2nd.amnd

The revolver was completely soaked with oil, which I wiped off before examining, but no hard grease. It was enclosed in a plastic bag inside the box. The box was quite dog-eared and shop-worn however. Looks like an older style box than the new ones I see at our local muzzleloader shop. I think this one was way on the back of the shelf in Midway's warehouse, and who knows where it has been?

Last edited by 2nd.amnd; December 19, 2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old December 21, 2008, 11:07 PM   #9
51colt

Mine was like yours but not quite as bad. After 50 rounds it broke in fine and now locks nice and smooth. I was not concerned with the scratches on the cylinder mine is a working gun i shoot it all time. If i was keeping mine for a collectors peice i would not have been happy. I bought a conversion cylinder it but it is a hair long i am hoping the gun will loosen up a little so i don't have to have the cylinder fitted.
Old December 22, 2008, 12:39 AM   #10
2nd.amnd

I have a Pietta '58 Remington like that. I'm on my third hand, and I think I'll have to replace the bolt soon. I've tried to get the timing just right, and it never seems to work out. The bolt always contacts the surface of the cylinder before dropping into the locking notch. No problem, as you said, it's a working gun. After all, Colts were designed that way with a little ramp into the notch right? My Remington has been making it's own ramps for about 10 years now.

I understand that Pietta is a little better nowadays. Perhaps I'll buy another Remington to pick up the slack when this one is down. I kind of like the one with the case hardened frame and checkered grips...
Old December 22, 2008, 04:19 AM   #11
Rusty.it

Quote:
The revolver was completely soaked with oil, which I wiped off before examining, but no hard grease.
It's ok, i write grease, thinking oil
ciao
Rusty